Anyone else have allergies on Oahu/at Aulani?

disneydenisel

DIS Veteran
Hello! We spent a few days at Aulani last month and my daughter was sneezing with a runny nose from the time the airplane landed on Oahu until we were safely on Maui, three days later. Has anyone else experienced severe allergies on Oahu, but not on other islands? We have taken her to Maui every year since she was born (14 trips), and she has never had allergies there. This was our first stop outside of HNL airport. Is it the smog? Different plants? Vog?

Things cleared up pretty quickly on Maui. I am hoping it was just a fluke, as we really enjoyed our Aulani stay and would love to go back there, but waking up to coughing or sneezing wasn't very relaxing for any of us. Thanks for your input!

Hopefully it was a light case of a cold instead of allergies. My allergies are equal opportunity ones so I never get away from a Kleenex box.:rotfl:

Hopefully it was a light case of a cold instead of allergies. My allergies are equal opportunity ones so I never get away from a Kleenex box.:rotfl:

Yes, I'd like to think it was a cold but she was completely miserable. We had her taking allergy meds and nasal spray and it was still awful for her. She could taste her food, so usually if she has a cold, her taste buds don't work.

Loved the resort and the CMs were great. Some locals thought maybe the smog on Oahu was causing the trouble. Who knows :confused3 ?!

Poor thing that's not a way to start a vacation! I know what that's like as I take allergy meds and nasal sprays every day just to survive living in the country.

Haven't been to Aulani yet (going in Oct) but when we were on Oahu a few years ago, I felt pretty lousy. Once we got to the Big Island I felt better. Thanks for the heads up- allergy meds take a few days to kick in, so I'll make sure I start them a few days before our trip just in case.

The tradewinds usually keep things pretty clear, but if the winds were coming from the wrong direction she could have been inhaling some air from the Kilauea Volcano on the Big Island.

Most likely from the vog. Kona winds bring in the volcanic fumes. This is what is probably causing your allergic reaction.

the vog over the week or so has been a bit on the heavy side. I have co workers that run into problems with the voggy kona winds.

Good to know. I better get serious with the Flonase. Probably better bring some Mucinex too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter