Anyone else have travel anxiety?

mommymanda

Mouseketeer
I absolutely love to travel, I love to plan it, I love being on vacation. However, the week before a trip my anxiety goes overboard. My mind plays out every worse case scenario. I don't sleep and I start to actually dread the trip. Don't worry once I arrive I settle in, but still it's exhausting.

Anyone else deal with this? How do you manage through?

Guilty.......the drive stresses me out/I worry about accidents, etc. Flying stresses me out too since I don't like flying. I try not to think about until we are close to the trip.

I absolutely love to travel, I love to plan it, I love being on vacation. However, the week before a trip my anxiety goes overboard. My mind plays out every worse case scenario. I don't sleep and I start to actually dread the trip. Don't worry once I arrive I settle in, but still it's exhausting.

Make out checklists. Revise them again and again. Sit down with your travel partners and make them think of everything they can. Then relax and dream about all the wonderful new sights you will see and the new things you will experience.

Yes, so much so that I have rarely travelled in years. I really lose it when I have to start packing. I live near Disney and just the thought of going to any of the theme parks for a day and it raining or being too hot or crowded stresses me out. I have APs for Universal and Sea World and rarely go because of the stress. Not fun but glad to know that I'm not the only one who gets overwhelmed.

Sadly, my anxiety is not reserved just for trips. LOL Things that I find helpful are to create lists and schedules. I also find it helpful to name my feeling (the overwhelm/panic/worry) as anxiety. I kind of say to myself..."self, you've made your list, you've made your schedule. What you are feeling right now is anxiety, so let's get through this" Usually, I realize it is alright. I have done the best I can to prepare. Things will not always go according to plan, but I can do my best, and that is okay. Acceptance? Expectations?

Perhaps follow through your worst case scenarios right to the end. In most cases, they are not too bad, just a pain. But you are strong and can do hard things.

<3 Enjoy your trip!

You are not alone. We are cruising to Alaska in less than a month and I should be SO excited yet I have so much anxiety about the covid testing and anxiety over my daughters' passport still not arriving (eventhough she is allowed to cruise with a birth certificate since it's roundtrip from Vancouver I had issues with her online check in and that is giving me anxiety). I. Just. Want. To. Have. A. Nice. Vacation.

Not too much to ask.

Do you know how many times I check for our passports on the way to the airport? TOO MANY TIMES!

A friend once asked why I was double checking my passport for a second time (arguing that I had already checked and knew it was there). I pointed out that I could have dropped the passport without noticing, the first time I had checked for it. She figured out that I am a lost cause.

I’m exactly the same. In fact, if someone told me the week before we weren’t going I’d be relieved. Nothing has worked to help me overcome it but now I just ‘ride’ it out and know once I’m at the airport, on the plane, I’ll relax.

This trip has caused ua the most stress..normally none because I know we will be back and just enjoy if i forgot something.....but Hawaii is a one off for us..flights announce changes..no passport yet for dd...i know we will get there..and have a huge drink when there

I’ve already started printing out our travel insurance! And putting it in the passport wallet Universal Shuttle used to give out when you used them. It’s quite handy, a zippered wallet with lots of slots for things.

I’m even stressed that someone will come into our house and steal our passports. Ridiculous, I know! We leave on Tuesday for WDW and with two previously cancelled trips, I’ll believe it’s happening when we get there!
Your post makes me want to sob. This is my level of anxiety too! Honestly, if this weren't our first trip in 7 years, I'm not sure it's worth all the worry. I keep telling myself that it's just a cruise. If we can't go, we can't. Oh, bother.

I'll relax once I'm sitting in the plane tomorrow morning. I've been stressed the past week.
That’s exactly when I relax. My family knows dont even try to talk to me the day of travel.
I believe WestJet has made a similar announcement now. Hopefully your flights are ok still. Not trying to add stress but I think it's going to impact all carriers in Canada sadly :(
Why I don’t use Canadian airlines anymore. Too many problems with AC! Stopped flying with them years ago and I still have a ton of points with them. I have an Aeroplan credit card so points don’t expire. I’ve had too many nightmares with them. Last flight broke the camels back. Was supposed to land in YVR at 2pm, didn’t get in until way past midnight. YVR was a ghost town.
I now fly with US carriers. Alaska mostly. Seattle is their hub.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter