Anyone else having shipping issues with online retailers this year?

FlightlessDuck

Y kant Donald fly?
Maybe my family is just spoiled by Amazon, but we've had the hardest time this year with items arriving from other online retailers this year!

Three examples:

1. My wife ordered pajamas from jcpenney.com. One of the items was just plain old cancelled. The other items were shipped in two shipments.

The first shipment had a tracking number with UPS, and arrived on time.

The second shipment (a pair of sleep pants) had a tracking number from USPS that didn't work. She she emailed jcpenney.com. After not hearing a response, she called. The first customer service rep kept saying the second package shipped. My wife kept saying that the tracking number was wrong and she wanted the right one. Eventually, she asked to speak to a supervisor, who said the tracking number was right, and we should contact USPS. Except it wasn't right. It wasn't even the right number of digits. My wife got "disconnected".

Meanwhile, this item ended up in somebody else's package on the other side of the country. California. Fortunately, the packing ship was included with the item, and a woman emailed my wife. This wonderful woman packed up the item and shipped it herself to our house.

So, not only did they just up and cancel one item, they shipped another item to the wrong person, which means that potentially sensitive personal information went to another person. I don't think Penney's has responded to the last email that was sent. :furious:

2. I ordered pajamas from Walmart.com on Wednesday, December 10th. I selected standard shipping, which indicated it should have arrived yesterday, December 18th. walmart.com indicated it should take 1 - 2 business days to process and 3 - 5 to arrive. So, even allowing for "business days" only, we are looking at Monday the 22nd, right? The website said the 18th, but the 22nd would have been OK. I would understand.

I got an email on the 14th indicating it was shipped. It took 4 days to process. not 1-2. Sure, the 14th was a Sunday, and that's not a business day, so maybe I'm being too hard, here?

I went to track the package. It originated in Laurens, SC. On the 14th, shipment information sent to FedEx. The package did not arrive at the FedEx facility, in Atlanta, GA until the 17th. Do you see the problem? I do. Not only did it go the wrong way (South instead of North, although I guess that was the closest facility), was it going to get to my house in 24 hours? Spoilers: No.

FedEx says it won't arrive until the 26th. As in 2 days after Christmas. For a gift I wanted for actually the 24th.

Am I being unreasonable on this one? Obviously I should have ordered this earlier, but if the website said it would arrive in the 18th, and FedEx says the 26th, isn't that a bit late?

Meanwhile, Amazon orders I made at the same time arrived on Saturday (as in last Saturday, the 13th!), before the Walmart package was even finished processing!

3. My wife order items from Hot Topic on Black Friday, November 28th. I don't know the details, but I know those items either still haven't shown up, or just showed up yesterday (I probably should have asked). 20 days.

Maybe my family is just spoiled by Amazon, but we've had the hardest time this year with items arriving from other online retailers this year!

Three examples:

1. My wife ordered pajamas from jcpenney.com. One of the items was just plain old cancelled. The other items were shipped in two shipments.

The first shipment had a tracking number with UPS, and arrived on time.

The second shipment (a pair of sleep pants) had a tracking number from USPS that didn't work. She she emailed jcpenney.com. After not hearing a response, she called. The first customer service rep kept saying the second package shipped. My wife kept saying that the tracking number was wrong and she wanted the right one. Eventually, she asked to speak to a supervisor, who said the tracking number was right, and we should contact USPS. Except it wasn't right. It wasn't even the right number of digits. My wife got "disconnected".

Meanwhile, this item ended up in somebody else's package on the other side of the country. California. Fortunately, the packing ship was included with the item, and a woman emailed my wife. This wonderful woman packed up the item and shipped it herself to our house.

So, not only did they just up and cancel one item, they shipped another item to the wrong person, which means that potentially sensitive personal information went to another person. I don't think Penney's has responded to the last email that was sent. :furious:
  2. I ordered pajamas from Walmart.com on Wednesday, December 10th. I selected standard shipping, which indicated it should have arrived yesterday, December 18th. walmart.com indicated it should take 1 - 2 business days to process and 3 - 5 to arrive. So, even allowing for "business days" only, we are looking at Monday the 22nd, right? The website said the 18th, but the 22nd would have been OK. I would understand.

I got an email on the 14th indicating it was shipped. It took 4 days to process. not 1-2. Sure, the 14th was a Sunday, and that's not a business day, so maybe I'm being too hard, here?

I went to track the package. It originated in Laurens, SC. On the 14th, shipment information sent to FedEx. The package did not arrive at the FedEx facility, in Atlanta, GA until the 17th. Do you see the problem? I do. Not only did it go the wrong way (South instead of North, although I guess that was the closest facility), was it going to get to my house in 24 hours? Spoilers: No.

FedEx says it won't arrive until the 26th. As in 2 days after Christmas. For a gift I wanted for actually the 24th.

Am I being unreasonable on this one? Obviously I should have ordered this earlier, but if the website said it would arrive in the 18th, and FedEx says the 26th, isn't that a bit late?

Meanwhile, Amazon orders I made at the same time arrived on Saturday (as in last Saturday, the 13th!), before the Walmart package was even finished processing!
  3. My wife order items from Hot Topic on Black Friday, November 28th. I don't know the details, but I know those items either still haven't shown up, or just showed up yesterday (I probably should have asked). 20 days.

There is a long thread on the budget board about various issues people are having this season with shipping.

From an online shopping experience, there isnt any other retailer in the world who can fulfill an online order like Amazon. So this is comparing apples to oranges. Walmart, Penneys, Target, Kolhs are retail giants, but none of them can fulfill an online order as efficiently as Amazon.

From an online shopping experience, there isnt any other retailer in the world who can fulfill an online order like Amazon. So this is comparing apples to oranges. Walmart, Penneys, Target, Kolhs are retail giants, but none of them can fulfill an online order as efficiently as Amazon.

Apparently.

There's a big thread on the Budget Board about this. My Walmart order took quite a while, but got here okay. My only issue now is an Etsy order place on 12/3 and not shipped yet. I'm sure she's been busy with orders. We have my mom's Christmas on 1/11, so this item can be DD13's gift to open there and I'll try not to worry about it.

I have received everything in a timely manner, even got some things early. (AmazonX2, Carbon to Cobalt, Café Du Monde)

My only snag was that Café Du Monde sent me the wrong cup. They're resending it now. But that wasn't a present, I just decided to replace my cold cup as my old one separated (it's a cool NOLA pen holder now). They switched to Tervis so when I got the Christmas catalog I couldn't resist.

I haven't had too many problems because I pretty much only order from Amazon with Prime shipping. Most things came in 2 days, with a few on the 3rd day. There were a couple things that they said up front before ordering that would take an extra 1-2 days for processing, and they were pretty spot on and I appreciated the up front notice before I ordered.

My beef is that I mailed and paid for a package to be sent USPS 2 day priority. I sent it Monday morning and it still hasn't been delivered today. It only had to go 6 hours away, not to the other side of the world. I understand they are backed up and as long as it get't there by Christmas its fine....but I don't appreciate paying for a service I am not getting! How do they know that package didn't need to be there in 2 days?

Interesting because my only problem was with Amazon. Everything from Costco, Target, and Kohls showed up within a couple of days. My Amazon order sat for a week before they finally shipped it. It should be delivered today which would be within the estimated delivery timeframe so I'm not really complaining. I was just a little nervous because they were almost out of stock on the item and I was afraid that if they didn't get moving they would run out. I wondered if it was slow because they couldn't find one or because I qualified for free shipping so they weren't exactly rushing my order.

Also not thrilled that UPS left a $850 camera just sitting on my porch with no note or anything.

It's been weird.

My Target.com order was fantastic. Land's End and J.Crew as well.

The worst was PacSun and Victoria Secret. Slow, slow, slow but mostly due to their "processing times." Once shipped, it was good.

I haven't had too many problems because I pretty much only order from Amazon with Prime shipping. Most things came in 2 days, with a few on the 3rd day. There were a couple things that they said up front before ordering that would take an extra 1-2 days for processing, and they were pretty spot on and I appreciated the up front notice before I ordered.

My beef is that I mailed and paid for a package to be sent USPS 2 day priority. I sent it Monday morning and it still hasn't been delivered today. It only had to go 6 hours away, not to the other side of the world. I understand they are backed up and as long as it get't there by Christmas its fine....but I don't appreciate paying for a service I am not getting! How do they know that package didn't need to be there in 2 days?
The only guaranteed delivery with USPS is Express Mail which, for $18.30 or so, absolutely positively will get it there overnight.

I was just going to post about my issues with Amazon this year. I am a Prime Member and only about 1/2 of my Prime Eligible purchases this year actually came in 2 days....those that actually showed up anyway...

I am also waiting on another order that was a replacement for defective products (frying pans), not from Amazon but from the pan manufacturer, they were "delivered" but did not come to my house. I have no idea where they are and the company can't find them. I had to ship my pans to them before they would replace them....so now I don't have any pans to cook Christmas dinner with. They have to wait 10 business days for the UPS Claim before they will do anything.

Nope. No problems at all.

Everything I've ordered on line (and that would be most everything I've bought for Christmas) has arrived in a timely fashion and as promised.

The LAST thing I ordered, though was this past Sunday (from Amazon), and it was delivered on Wednesday. Amazon absolutely impresses me in their ability to get things to you, from wherever they are, so fast!

I do know, since my husband works at UPS, that they have had HUGE volume again this year, but so far, at least, none of the major problems they ran into last year (which were all over the news). Not to say that they are perfect (no one is), but they've been doing a good job at handling volumes even higher than last year. He's been working double his "normal" number of hours, and for the first time ever, mandatory work this Saturday.

Yup. The only company I ordered from this year for Christmas was Bath & Body Works. I believe I ordered online on December 1st. Our family Christmas is Sunday, the 21st, so I thought it would be plenty of time to get the order. When the order was due to arrive the UPS truck did stop, and I waited at the door listening to him moving/throwing packages around (and it didn't sound like he was being very gentle). He finally came out of the truck and said he was supposed to have a package for me, but he couldn't find it so would be back later. He never came back.

The next day I tracked the package and it said it had been damaged in transit and they would "attempt" to let the seller know. :worried:

I e-mailed B&BW to let them know of the situation and they did send out a duplicate order within a couple of days and I received it a few days ago, so I was very pleased with that quick service and did let them know.

However. I also let them know that it would be nice if they would put plastic around the neck of EACH bottle, so they wouldn't leak. :(

They had put all 21 items in ONE bag inside the box. The 7 foaming soaps did have plastic around the necks so they couldn't accidentally come open.
But the lotions, etc. did not have that plastic and of course one of the tops had come loose and some of the shower gel came out and made quite a mess. :(

I never asked for a replacement item but supposedly they're sending another bottle of the shower gel. Not a lot had come out of it, but just enough to make a gooey mess inside the bag and get onto several other items.

I am glad though that I did get the second order. Makes me wonder what really happened to the first one though.

I actually have no problems this year.

I do get a little ticked when I see posts blaming the shipping company for leaving expensive electronics on a porch. It is not the shipping companies fault it is the retailer you purchased the items from, they are the people who should send it signture required if they dont the issue is wi them not the shipping company.

Belk canceled two items days after the order was placed.

Otter Box used Fedex Smart post -which was a disaster and they had to send me a new one after 18 days with no otter box.

Kohls and Talbots did well -but compared to Amazon seemed really slow.

Avon was pretty quick

2 day priority has never been a guarantee and when everyone ships that way, likelihood that it will be diminishes.

But they over emphasize that 2 day part for it to not be a priority to make it happen.

We haven't had any problems this year. We ordered one thing from Walmart on black Friday and reeceived it the following Tuesday. We have ordered three different times from Amazon and received those within two days also.

I actually have no problems this year.

I do get a little ticked when I see posts blaming the shipping company for leaving expensive electronics on a porch. It is not the shipping companies fault it is the retailer you purchased the items from, they are the people who should send it signture required if they dont the issue is wi them not the shipping company.

I have bought high end cameras and lenses, laptops, iPhones, important documents etc all with explicit instructions that they must be signed for by the retailer/company and have had all just dropped at the front door. Once you sign those little pads they carry they have a copy of your electronic signature. They tap that and just drop it at your door. Heck, a few weeks ago our underwriter made copies of our licenses and forgot to give them back to us. She overnighted them to us, signature required (it was our ID after all) and the guy just shoved them in my door jam. In my experience it's about 80% on the delivery companies. Fortunately, I've been there to retrieve my items (per the company I need to be there to sign) only to see their back ends walking away as I open the door.

No issues this year, thank goodness.

My only problem is the delivery guys driving away so quick! The UPS man rang my apartment doorbell. I was in bed, so I got out quick, threw on a snuggie, and he was walking away! Then, with the Fedex man, he was walking away when I got out there asap. They should realize I have three doors to walk thru to get outside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter