Anyone else here really disliking their current weather?

Yes it was pretty darn bad and I kept seeing all the traffic delays on the highways Friday and Saturday. Glad your husband got to his destination safe :)

Even though the weather people kept talking about the cold for Saturday-Sunday I wasn't prepared for it either. At least next week, aside from Monday I believe, should be above freezing so there's that.
You know it's bad when 30 degrees sounds like a heart wave!

At least I finally got my daughter to stop hoping for a snow (or cold) day and start studying for her AP Euro final tomorrow.

Oh yes, I adore having "high" temps below 0 (Farenheit). Nothing more "special."

Fortunately, this is a short lived cold spell. Gonna be almost 50 degrees warmer tomorrow than the low this morning. Impressive.

I live in CT. The winters are terrible and depressing. I would move to FL now if I could. The hubby says 4 years. Ugh 4 more years of this crap

Ugh, yes. We've been going through a cold snap the past few days where the highs are in the 40s and the lows are in the 20s, which is unusual for here. Not unheard of, but not something that happens too often. I never thought I'd be grateful for mid 50 highs and mid 30 lows, but I can't wait for it to get back to that.

I dislike our current weather, but only because today's high is going to be 85 and it doesn't feel one bit like Christmas.

There are many things I love about living in Southwest Florida, but the lack of seasons is not one of them.

I dislike our current weather, but only because today's high is going to be 85 and it doesn't feel one bit like Christmas.

There are many things I love about living in Southwest Florida, but the lack of seasons is not one of them.

I have always said I couldn't ever live in Florida for this reason. But honestly, and you'll have to excuse me, but right now I'm not feeling the sympathy! :rotfl2:(Says the person who woke up to 3 degrees this morning).

I'm in New York now. Woke up to 15 degrees and it's worked it's way down to 13 degrees. Can't wait for the holidays to be over and get back to Florida.

I have always said I couldn't ever live in Florida for this reason. But honestly, and you'll have to excuse me, but right now I'm not feeling the sympathy! :rotfl2:(Says the person who woke up to 3 degrees this morning).

I'm sorry! I've always lived in the South, and I cannot even imagine what that feels like. :blush: I admire anyone who can get through a winter like that!

More often than not, I'll probably be hating the weather here, until like, April. :rotfl:

We've had snow and ice last couple days. Then, last night, at like 3am, I'm not sure what the heck was going on. I think it was thunder?!

I hate winter, so... yes, dislike!
Ooooh - thunder snow is the best!! So dramatic! :hyper:
For those of you who have extreme cold how do you keep warm and what extra precautions do you have to take to make sure pipes don't burst and cars will start? I was wondering about that this morning when I saw the weather forecast for the Plains.
Do you know what a "block heater" is? All vehicles sold in Canada come equipped with this device - you plug your car into an electrical outlet (no, they are NOT electric cars) and the heater keeps the battery from failing. In truly extreme conditions one may also need to have a remote-starter programmed to run on intervals to keep the oil from "jelling". Or, you know, we park in our garages! :laughing:

As for our houses, building technologies are a little different in extremely cold climates. Water mains and sewer lines are run underground (below the frost line) and houses are designed so that the plumbing lines are not against outside walls, which are insulated like crazy anyway. This is not done perfectly, especially in older homes so one has to be ever-vigilant all winter to make sure heat doesn't get disrupted and pipes don't freeze.

I'm a day late, but considering I woke up to -27 air temp yesterday, yes, I am really disliking my weather!
It is supposed to be 33 tomorrow though, that will help :-)

Ooooh - thunder snow is the best!! So dramatic! :hyper:

Do you know what a "block heater" is? All vehicles sold in Canada come equipped with this device - you plug your car into an electrical outlet (no, they are NOT electric cars) and the heater keeps the battery from failing. In truly extreme conditions one may also need to have a remote-starter programmed to run on intervals to keep the oil from "jelling". Or, you know, we park in our garages! :laughing:

There was some old thread here where block and battery heaters were mentioned. Even mommasita (from Quebec) said she'd never heard of anyone who had one, although I suspect some did but never talked about it. A block heater isn't really all that much other than a tiny immersion heater. Unless there's some sort of auxiliary pump, it's only going to heat a small portion of the coolant. It's just a head start on heating, although I understand that many just use them to speed up the time it takes to have heat in the car.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/let-a-car-run-before-driving.3382066/page-3#post-53121736

Most modern motor oils operate at far colder temperatures. Heck - Honda and Subaru now mostly spec 0W-20 motor oil for the US and China, although the main reason is for fuel economy.

A few years back I was buying a car battery at Sears, and the online options said there were "north" and "south" versions optimized for either cold weather starting or to last longer in hot conditions. I just ordered the cheapest option and went to pick it up. When I got to the store there was only one version.

I'm in Jersey and I don't like our winter weather at all! I just love my family and friends here too much to ever move!:rolleyes2

We're getting freeze warnings around here. It's not as if that never happens, but it's something that happens maybe once every five years.

I live in FL too and my SAD really kicks into high gear this time of year. You're right, it doesn't feel like Christmas at all :(.

I think I am enjoying this weather. Normally I'd give an unhesitating yes to this weather. I worked up a sweat this morning, tired myself out doing carpet cleaning. It would have been nicer if it was cooler then. It is in the lower 80s this afternoon in S. Florida. I'm thankful to be here compared to where I typically have been in the mid-west. From what I hear from others it has been a cold late fall.

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
I'm a day late, but considering I woke up to -27 air temp yesterday, yes, I am really disliking my weather!
It is supposed to be 33 tomorrow though, that will help :-)
Are you in the Twin Cities? We're in Wisconsin about 20 miles east of Minneapolis and that is what we had yesterday too. Woke up to -22 air temp. Today feels like Spring...It's in the 20's ( on the plus side of zero!). Tomorrow will be close to 40.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter