• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else listening to the Hamilton soundtrack?

I tried to listen to some tracks on youtube, but I just couldn't get through them. Just not my type of music and I hate rap even in a Broadway show.

I was thinking as I listened to it driving home last night that while I understand why it gets characterized as a hip hop/rap musical, it's really so much broader than that. I'm really impressed with the diversity of American music genres he draws on. I'd really estimate the show is less than half hip-hop, but that's so much more than other shows that it gets the most attention. But the score is impressively diverse and intricately woven together.

The rap parts are my favorite. World Turned Upside Down brings tears to my eyes every time.

I was thinking as I listened to it driving home last night that while I understand why it gets characterized as a hip hop/rap musical, it's really so much broader than that. I'm really impressed with the diversity of American music genres he draws on. I'd really estimate the show is less than half hip-hop, but that's so much more than other shows that it gets the most attention. But the score is impressively diverse and intricately woven together.

The rap parts are my favorite. World Turned Upside Down brings tears to my eyes every time.
Agreed. When the show was recommended to me I thought "rap music about American Politics? YUCK!" But it is really a story about man's rise and fall from grace. Shows the human side of the politician. And the music is so much more than rap... so many genres. And, as for what makes me cry... It's Quiet Uptown.

Agreed. When the show was recommended to me I thought "rap music about American Politics? YUCK!" But it is really a story about man's rise and fall from grace. Shows the human side of the politician. And the music is so much more than rap... so many genres. And, as for what makes me cry... It's Quiet Uptown.

It's not my favorite song (I love the start of the next one, the line, "can we get back to politics please?" is exactly how I feel at that point) --- but it's a beautiful song that tells an important part of his story, so I appreciate it being in there. I love how it gets sampled again in the Election of 1800.

Lin is a total Les Miz geek (like a lot of us!), so it's definitely intentional. Burr has a section in "Your Obedient Servant" that's an homage to Les Miz:

Two of my favorite lines are callouts to different musicals...I hadn't caught that one...but the first time I listened I got the obvious references to the 1776 musical and Pirates of Penzance...love those.

Two of my favorite lines are callouts to different musicals...I hadn't caught that one...but the first time I listened I got the obvious references to the 1776 musical and Pirates of Penzance...love those.

I caught those as well. It's fun how many references are buried in the play, I feel like every time I hear it I pick up on something else.

My whole family loves the music and someone is always listening to it. We're seeing the show in March and greatly looking forward to it!

Kristen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter