Anyone else not a fan of the Wish dining themes?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
From what I have seen online, 1923 is the only dining restuarant at night I would like to eat at. Doubt I will ever want to sail the Wish.

I don't know a darn thing about Marvel. I want to skip that dinner but on the other hand, I don't want to miss the experience, even though I'll have no idea what's happening or who these characters are talking to me.
Edit: I also don't care that much to know who these Marvel characters are. Is there a non-fan section I can sit in? :rotfl:

You're not alone in your opinion. I'm sailing a 3-night on her in February, and plan to book specialty dinners onboard for the nights I'm not at 1923.

I recently saw a vlog review of all of the restaurants, showing the menus, sampling the food, etc. Personally, I thought they all looked great except for Enchante, which isn't my cup of tea.

I love Marvel but I find the Crush show too invasive at dinner and I think Marvel will be the same. The food looks good so I’ll go once. If I sail the Wish again then I’d probably skip.

I am a rarity here; While I love the theming and decor of the rotational MDR's, I personally don't care much for the MDR food on DCL. In my opinion it is average with at times a few very good dishes. On the Wish, there is not a lot of excitement for me to dine on average food to experience the theming. I'm so tapped out with the whole "Frozen" thing. I've been for quite some time. I'm a fan of the Marvel movies, but not a fan of the whole Marvel idea while dining. The only one that has much interest for me would be 1923. I would spend most of my time dining at Palo Steak House and Enchante. I'll admit though, I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to dining. On the Fantasy we ate at Remy twice, Palo twice, Palo brunch once, and once in each of the MDR's. For our cruise on the Dream in December I plan on Palo twice, Remy twice, and the MDR just once if all goes as planned.

Even before the shows began, whenever I walked into Worlds of Marvel and Arendelle I felt like I was about to eat in an attraction building queue preshow room. They really felt to me like extensions of the parks. Now, for me that wasn't necessarily a bad thing -- particularly for a short cruise. If the Wish were to begin sailing 14-night itineraries I would be seeking out a lot of alternative dining options.

Menuwise, Arendelle is one of my favorite menus -- i've had it on both the Wonder and Magic. But I enjoy smoked fish and other Scandanavian-influenced foods.

I’ve got to be honest, the food is just a bonus for me. Really couldn’t care less about what it is or where it’s served. We’re all different I guess!

I like Marvel but not a huge, huge fan. I enjoyed the dining experience. The characters mostly featured are AntMan and the Wasp, the new Ms. Marvel and Anthony Mackie as the new Captain America. The show was cute. I happen to like Paul Rudd (AntMan). My only issue was that I was watching the screen a lot and not speaking with my friends. On a separate screen they give profiles and a bio of each of the characters so you can learn about them.

I enjoyed the virtual show of the "bad guys" and "good guys" battling it out on the Deck of the Wish.

AntMan and Wasp also show up in person in the dining room at one point. Our table was right at the entrance and I would have liked to have been deeper into the dining room to be more immersive.

The Arendell musicians/vocalist were very good. There were 2 musicians and a vocalist. The theme is Anna and Kristoff's wedding celebration. The stage is in the center of the dining room so better views for many people. Oaken is the host and he was very funny.

We did 1923 for our embarkation lunch instead of Marceline Market on the first day.

MJ

My guess is a lot of the theming was done with younger kids in mind, not so much adults. I would love to know what they think of the dining rooms. That said, I prefer having some theming as apposed to just sitting down to dinner with nothing else going on like I am just out eating in a local restaurant. I really can't provide a specific opinion of the dining on the wish yet as we don't sail until November but because it is Disney I expect something extra. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be over the top.

If it was just dining rooms with nothing unique to disney it would be a bit boring. You can get them anywhere or on any cruise.

1923 looks a little boring from the limited photos I've seen. I do find the dining rooms very loud (especially first seating) and having shows makes it much worse. As far as the shows, many tables don't have a great view of the stage, so that's disappointing. Not quite sure what the dining experience is supposed to be - for adults, for kids? Confusing. When traveling with small kids, having a 2 hours dining experience is not what we're after (and the food has never wowed me). I wish that Disney had a dinner buffet for those nights when you're too tired to sit through a long dinner. Oh...and Arrendelle? Seems a little outdated.

1923 was probably our favorite as it was quieter (with the serving stations hidden away from the dining area). Arendelle and Marvel were both loud and cramped, you heard conversations from table next to you and the servers had a difficult time getting through to serve the food and drink. Also in Arendelle our table had an obstructed view to the stage as there was a serving station in between, so the show was really just audio until the characters fanned out to make small talk at the tables.

So, is the Marketplace open for dinner on the Wish? We sailed on the Dream in May and Cabanas was not open for dinner at all.

You're not alone in your opinion. I'm sailing a 3-night on her in February, and plan to book specialty dinners onboard for the nights I'm not at 1923.
Maybe by then it will be easier to book specialty dining. On the maiden voyage and the DVC cruise right after that, we were unable to book either restaurant for either brunch or dinner as platinum cruisers. Maybe if you are sailing concierge you would have better odds.

Maybe by then it will be easier to book specialty dining. On the maiden voyage and the DVC cruise right after that, we were unable to book either restaurant for either brunch or dinner as platinum cruisers. Maybe if you are sailing concierge you would have better odds.
I imagine a 3-night in February will have a lot more availability than the maiden voyage or the 2nd voyage which was also a DVC cruise.

So, is the Marketplace open for dinner on the Wish? We sailed on the Dream in May and Cabanas was not open for dinner at all.
Currently, no. I'd expect Marceline Market to open for dinner when Cabanas does. Likely, none of them are open at this time because of staffing issues.

In case anyone doubts that Marceline Market is meant to be open for dinner, here's the description from Disney's website:

"Discover an ever-changing menu of specialized offerings at Marceline Market, named for Walt Disney’s early childhood hometown in Missouri. Choose from 10 food stations and a café-style beverage bar, with both indoor and outdoor seating available. Enjoy a walk-around experience for breakfast and lunch, and table service at dinnertime."

Do you tell your servers if you don't plan on going to the mdr one night? We are excited for the frozen one and 1923 but i think the Marvel one might be a little intense for our daughter

Do you tell your servers if you don't plan on going to the mdr one night? We are excited for the frozen one and 1923 but i think the Marvel one might be a little intense for our daughter
I'm sure that they would like to know instead of wondering where you are. Especially if they usually put out anything special for you, like a specific food or drink for your daughter.

There aren't many other dining options for kids, though. There's pizza on the pool deck, but the other Festival of Foods stands close rather early (based on reports here, about 6pm) and Marceline Market is currently not open for dinner. That leaves an early dinner at Festival or room service as options if you skip Marvel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter