Anyone else prefer the moderate resorts over the deluxe?

Deluxe.
Location, location, location.
Dining opportunities.
Hate food courts. I'm on vacation. I want nice meal with table service. Not a walk through version of a drive through McDonalds.
Room size.
Inside corridors. Don't have to go out in the rain and I feel safer.
Had some really bad experiences at both value and moderate.
We do occasionally stay at a value our first night if we arrive late to save on a deluxe room, although I'm not a fan of double beds.
We prefer a nicer resort and shorten our stay to enhance our time at Disney and stay within our budget. We also are not all day park people and do spend time in the resort and room.

We stayed at YC this summer, after staying in mods for the last several trips. We did a split stay (CBR and YC), and we were so impressed with YC, and so grateful to be out of CBR (which we really disliked), that we are now wondering if we can go back to staying in a mod, lol. We do love POFQ and CSR though, and I definitely found myself missing those while we were at CBR.

Once I went deluxe, there was no turning back. My first ever on site stay was a triple split stay. I tried all three levels.
POP/BC/POR

BOY was it hard to leave the beach club!
I guess I didn't give POR enough time because it was only two nights and we had to leave at 5am to drive home.

Since then I stayed at the WL (which, honestly I didn't really like.) My next trip is to the Poly. It will probably be our last deluxe for a long time because DH and I want to start a family soon so it'll be outta the budget.

I thought about downgrading, but the location and the fact that I can get the 'ohana meal for room service and not have to deal with other diners made me not want to switch!

One day I'll try out mods...maybe.

I would not say we like Mods better then the deluxes but for us there is not a big difference. Indoor/outdoor halls we do not care. Location is only good for 1 or 2 parks, also not a big deal. TS, to us, takes to long. Privacy/safety with indoor hallways and balconies, truthfully I never understood this one. We have no issues having our curtains open when we are just sitting in our room, I guess we are just not really paranoid. Plus a lot of the deluxe balconies can be seen by other balconies or people in the court yard/pool area etc:confused3. We think the monorail is overrated, and we have children. We only saved time to and from MK, the monorail to/from EPCOT is bad. We do like the extra space, but not at all deluxes, AKL room actually felt smaller. In the past you use to get much more with deluxes over Mods. We very much enjoy our trips at the deluxes but never have come back thinking they were much better then our Mod trips.

Last edited:

Nope, I am a deluxe girl all the way. We have stayed at CSR, CBR, and Pop. I only lasted one night at POP, although my closest friend loves staying there with her kids. I much prefer the stays I had at WL, YC, BC, AKL, and Poly. However, if push comes to shove, I LOVE staying in our travel trailer at the Wilderness Campground. I get to bring my darling dogs with me and my son loves to bring his bike on vacation.

Not much help, but I guess that is what makes Disney great. They have a so many different types of resorts that you are bound to find something that you like.

My next stay will be at WL in November.

Katherine

We stayed at YC this summer, after staying in mods for the last several trips. We did a split stay (CBR and YC), and we were so impressed with YC, and so grateful to be out of CBR (which we really disliked), that we are now wondering if we can go back to staying in a mod, lol. We do love POFQ and CSR though, and I definitely found myself missing those while we were at CBR.

I missed POP while saying at CBR last Nov. Lol. I would like to give CBR another chance sometime however. The manager was so nice when he relized how miserable I was.

I must say however over New Years week my husband and I much preferred POFQ over Beach club. My son and I hope to stay at the Poly in Sept. I loved it when I stayed there in the 70s. I will never stop missing the fountain however

I thought I was the only one who prefers a MOD over Deluxe. We've only stayed once at a Deluxe and it was AKL. While it was a Beautiful resort, I kept thinking about POR. AKL didn't feel like home, didn't feel cozy, was lacking something.
When we checked in, we were ignored, totally, very snooty attitude from the CM. The QS food was awful. Buses were also terrible, far away, Catered to DVC (drop off first and picked up first) which made the bus almost full by the time it got around to reg. Guest, took forever to get another bus to same park. I will be sticking with MODs from now on.

POR will always be one of my favs. It just feels like home. There are certain deluxes I like over it, mainly Poly, and WL. Refuse to pay the price of GF (would rather stay at the 4 seasons for that price), hated the Beach Club. I like POR because it is a beautifully theme resort...love walking around the grounds and taking the boat to DS.

I actually prefer Pop Century over most Disney resorts. I stayed at several moderates and walked through many of the deluxe resorts and I feel like Pop Century has that special magic and feels more like one of the parks then the others. I keep going back to Pop and the more I go the more I love the place.

We are also picking a moderate (POFQ) this trip over a deluxe (AKL). With young kids, I LOVE the food courts but I also LOVE the balcony. I can't justify the cost of a deluxe and not be guaranteed a balcony so this eliminates Poly and Contemporary, which would probably make us chose deluxe if we could be guaranteed a balcony. Last trip, we found Yacht Club hard with a 3 and 5 year old and no great counter service options. We had a gorgeous view from our balcony over looking BW where we could see both Epcot and HS fireworks, which was AMAZING, but we wouldn't stay again unless we were travelling child free. I'm looking forward to POFQ for the lovely grounds, the boat to Disney Springs and the food courts!

I actually prefer Pop Century over most Disney resorts. I stayed at several moderates and walked through many of the deluxe resorts and I feel like Pop Century has that special magic and feels more like one of the parks then the others. I keep going back to Pop and the more I go the more I love the place.

Agree there is just something about POP. I love being there and walking the grounds.

To add to the indoor/outdoor corridor opinions.........I actually prefer the outdoor entry at mods. For us, they seem quieter. When we stay deluxe there is ALWAYS so much noise coming from the hallways. Kids running up and down the hallways, LOUD talkers, kids screaming, doors slamming...
I just don't notice that as much at the mods. Plus, we travel to Disney during our long, brutal winter months in WI. I LOVE hitting the wonderful Florida weather as soon as possible!!!

Nope- for us deluxe is all about the location (and I love having a balcony). With small kids that still take naps, you can't beat staying within walking distance or a monorail ride away from a resort. The time saved is amazing. Last year we tried out the family suites at AOA and it was nice- I really liked the resort and loved the food court but I swear half of our trip was spent on the bus or waiting for a bus. This year we were back at BLT with a few nights at BC and it really made us see how important location is to us.

We just did a split stay at POR & CR. We liked POR but loved being back at a monorail resort once we moved to CR. I think we're monorail people now.

I'd like to stay at BC/YC during Food & Wine or maybe at AKL if we had a car.

We have stayed at all levels, and enjoyed them all! I will say for our family the moderates keep us coming back! We mainly go back to the moderates because of the price and ease of having access to a QS whenever we need it! We love the Port Orleans resorts! We only stayed one night (Thanksgiving) at Coronado Springs. We had our Thanksgiving dinner at the Pepper Market. We shared the whole place with two other families! That was nice, but I am guessing at a busy time, this restaurant could get crazy! I didn't like the servers having to refill my drinks and the mandatory tip. I would prefer for a QS to be the food court model.

We love the CSR and stay there often, even though we used to be only deluxe resort people. It's my favorite resort now, has all the features we need.
And the Pepper Market has finally seen the light and gone to a normal QS model, pay as you exit the food offerings area, a self service drink station, and no more tipping.

No. I definitely prefer the Deluxes. I do not like Food Courts at all. I am delighted with the options at the Deluxes. I hate and do not feel as safe with the motel style out door corridors. I love having my private balcony for early morning coffee or evening wine.

Agree with this. The doors on the outside freak me out. And the balcony is awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter