Anyone else too cheap to book a deluxe?????

She ideally would like to stay at Poly, but the more we look at price/discount trends, the more we've realized that we'll have to split those 8 nights. Right now we're considering 3 at POP, then 5 at Poly.

I would recommend looking into DVC points rental. If it's just the 3 of you (?) a studio would work just fine. (If the elder child is coming, probably not -- arrangement in a studio is a queen, a sofa sleeper, and a fold-down that isn't all that great for a grown human.)

I'm a huge fan of deluxe resorts. Our family favorite is BC. We did a short stay at POP and my DH said never, ever again. The resort is cute but the room is really, really small... We just got back from a stay at AOA. Now I love my deluxe resorts and after the POP fiasco I wasn't too thrilled, but I have to say for the money AOA worked out great for 5 adults. I have to say that there really is a difference in the beds (POP - beds were full size nowhere near queen)

To answer the OP question, im in the same boat. I simply CANNOT justify spending a ton of money on a deluxe resort when all we'll do is sleep there. Not gonna happen, ever. Sorry. We'll stick to value and moderate thanks!

I am looking to book for next fall. At first I was thinking of staying at the beach club, but I just cannot justify spending $450 a night. I debated the poly for the monerail since my kids are young and we will be at the magic kingdom most often, but that is $650 per night. Right now I am thinking of the A of A. My son loves the movie cars and I think he will love the cars themed area. A LM room is only $139 a night. That is a huge difference! We went on vacation last summer and were fine in one room so that does not bother me. I know we will be at the parks most of the time. We will not be going to nice restaurants with such young kids. I am a little nervous about the busses, but A of A gets great reviews and the price difference is $2177 from the beach club to the A of A.

Well, to me that's a no-brainer. There are many resorts that will come in under that $450. We love POP and for mods the POFQ gets good reviews but we've never stayed there. We did stay at Coronado and it was nice but very spread out so we prefer POP to that. $2200 is alot of money to care about the bus situation. For that difference, use UBER to get everywhere or cabs for that matter.

'

I'm too cheap to pay Disney prices but I don't mind staying at SSR with discounted last minute DVC points. It makes SSR cheaper than a Mod. I know lots of people don't like SSR but I find the resort enjoyable and quiet. So, that is one of the few times I'm willing to pay for a deluxe. I dream of staying at BLT again but I can't justify the price.

How is the transportation at SSR? I see the tree villas are DVC so I am curious.

I've always had great transportation from SSR except to go to downtown Disney. For some reason the buses to downtown disney are terrible so I just walk there since it is an easy walk. I'm not sure that I am the best judge of buses though as I've never stayed anywhere that I felt belt buses were terrible. SSR shares with no one but they have quite a few internal stops. SSR is also a bit farther away from the parks than the other deluxe hotels so it takes a little longer to get to the parks.

IF you can walk then that's good huh? I also have never stayed anywhere that I thought the buses were terrible...I'm always happy to have the ride lol.

I've only stayed at value resorts...could someone who's stayed at value AND moderate tell me if the walls are thicker/more soundproof in mods? This past trip, we had to deal with a baby crying on and off each night. It was so loud, it felt like the baby was literally in our room! I can hear conversations, every little movement, every time a toilet flushes or a shower turns on. I really like POP, but it's hard to get a good night's rest if you're a light sleeper.

I've stayed at every level of hotel. I've always thought soundproofing is a better as you move up. Then again I could've just been lucky and not stayed near disruptive folks!

I would totally splurge for the resorts since a friend I used to go with has DVC and I have stayed there before. However, my fiancé refuses to stay anywhere except Value/Moderate, so that's where we will be staying. He says we are only ever there to sleep, and that he's not paying extra money to see a nicer room.

We love staying at MODs, once a few years ago when AK lodge rate was cheaper, we stayed there. While it was very pretty, I really missed staying at a MOD.
I love the MOD food courts and I just felt like I fit in more at a MOD. So never again will I stay at a Deluxe. Now even if I wanted to stay at a Deluxe the prices are crazy, and I
don't think they are worth it. We usually go and eat at a Deluxe and take a tour of it while we are there, and that's enough for me.

We stayed this past Aug/Sept at CBR with free dining for our family of 5. It was a great vacation and I thought we got a great rate. I booked a bounceback at CBR again for next Aug/Sept. My children have always wanted to stay at Beach Club but I just can't see spending an extra $2K to stay there. We have the money to stay there but I am just too cheap to shell out $2K when we can stay at CBR and get a great deal with free dining and staying in a moderate. Anyone else have a dilemma about spending extra money they don't need to spend? We really liked CBR but I know my children would love to try BC. Any thoughts?

Yes, I also try to avoid unnecessary spending. I've stayed deluxe, but prefer tent camping in Fort Wilderness, which is more fun, relaxing and cheaper. We're a scouting family so camping is easy for us- I just check our bags of gear on the flight over. My son is in private school & I'd rather spend the extra thousands on his tuition and other kinds of trips than on an overpriced hotel room. We're staying deluxe soon because my 72 year-old mom is coming along, but other than that I'd only stay deluxe in the summer, when it's too hot to comfortably camp.

Last edited:
I've only stayed at value resorts...could someone who's stayed at value AND moderate tell me if the walls are thicker/more soundproof in mods? This past trip, we had to deal with a baby crying on and off each night. It was so loud, it felt like the baby was literally in our room! I can hear conversations, every little movement, every time a toilet flushes or a shower turns on. I really like POP, but it's hard to get a good night's rest if you're a light sleeper.

I'm not 100% sure it's built to be more sound proof but from my experience they seem to be more sound proof. I have vowed to not stay at a value again because of the noise issue. Just like you I can hear every noise around me. I don't hear those noises at the moderates.

We've stayed at the Polynesian twice, once in 1998 and the other time Oct. 2014. Those were the only 2 times of staying deluxe, but we do have an upcoming stay in April at BWV. My limit is $300 a night for a deluxe, and because we visit in the off-season, we stand a decent chance of finding a discount. We also book through Orbitz which has an additional discount added. To me, the benefit of staying Deluxe is the convenience of visiting the parks: Polynesian - Magic Kingdom and Epcot, BWV - Epcot and Disney Studios.

I would do it once for the experience, but that's about it. We are a frugal family.. lol (my husband moreso than me). It's mods for us.. My husband still balks at the mod prices.

We stayed this past Aug/Sept at CBR with free dining for our family of 5. It was a great vacation and I thought we got a great rate. I booked a bounceback at CBR again for next Aug/Sept. My children have always wanted to stay at Beach Club but I just can't see spending an extra $2K to stay there. We have the money to stay there but I am just too cheap to shell out $2K when we can stay at CBR and get a great deal with free dining and staying in a moderate. Anyone else have a dilemma about spending extra money they don't need to spend? We really liked CBR but I know my children would love to try BC. Any thoughts?

How many nights are you staying for? I've been keeping a spreadsheet of all the deluxe resorts rates to upgrade from CBR for August 2016 (end of august). The Beach Club is $146 more a night for my trip. Will the kids use the pool every day? Not that the pool is equal to Typhoon Lagoon, but to not have to travel to a water park is worth extra money to me. Also better room service. Character breakfast on property. Very inexpensive breakfast buffet at Yacht Club (on property - mean resort property). walk to Fantasia Gardens mini golf. Walk to ANY meal in Epcot. To me, all that is worth $146 more a night. If you divide that by 5 people, it's less than $30 a night for each of them to have that convenience.

with your 2K figure, I'm assuming you are staying around 13-14 nights, is that correct?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter