• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else who might be priced out?

In some ways, though the Disney rooms don't differ from a large city. I live in the Washington DC area and the rooms in DC are very expensive. If you are staying at a deluxe resort, the amount you'd pay for the same type of room in DC (table/chairs in room, big bathroom, balcony) are equivalent. Then the hotels there charge around $30 per night to park. So I kind of put Disney in that league of "city" pricing.
Except WDW isn't a large city. I lived in Chicago for years before I got married and had kids. WDW has more space than they know what to do with, no comparison to a large city IMO. They charge sky high prices and parking fees because they can.

We’re really starting to feel it. I’m happy at Pop, but the cost of tickets/AP’s coupled with the Canadian dollar is becoming uncomfortable for our family of four.

Our AP’s expire in August so we have one more trip coming up soon, but the foreseeable future is uncertain at this point.

It's definitely getting there. I'm out of state, but have an AP for maybe my 4th time now in the past 6 years. I had been every few years as an adult before kids, but since kids we've been going at least once, usually twice, a year and occasionally more than that. I like to take the kids on individual trips so we can tour their way and they get some one on one time. But the prices have gone up so much now I think that may be the end of that. We have had to cut back every single year in some way. Dropping park hoppers, going from deluxe to mod to value, skipping character meals and buffets, not renting a car, no extras like cakes or extra tour and event tickets, bringing more of our food/snacks along with us, etc. and just finally this year we stayed offsite in April and will be staying offsite again in October before my current AP expires. My kids will all be Disney adults in the next couple years so that compounds the price impact. We never really traveled during peak times either also to keep costs down. We are lucky in that we have super cheap flights available to Florida from here, but we can't keep up with the rising costs at Disney.

I know everything goes up over time, but it's far outpaced any salary increases on our end. Aside from moving, so we didn't have to live in a high cost of living area, there isn't anywhere else for us to cut back and save more for Disney either. It was really the only place we "splurge" in general. I know I've seen people say things about how Disney is going to be only for rich families before and I always rolled my eyes at that comment, but I really can't imagine how most families can continue to afford things at this rate.

They are a business, which I get, but they hooked us and spoiled us with the way they handle food allergies and our special needs too. It's hard to get as excited about going to other places when I know it's not going to live up to what we've come to expect at Disney.

This next trip is likely to feel very bittersweet as it's almost going to be a goodbye for us. At least for a while.

We somehow went from every other year or every third year to now being at WDW the last 3 years straight. We'll take a break after this year due to a combination of price increases, less value (less emh, more people at emh, more competition for FP from off property resorts, resort parking fees, etc). We are a Disney family, but there are so many other places to experience for the same or less cost.

We are booked at a deluxe, considering split stay between moderate and deluxe to offset the costs and stay at resorts we havent tried. There are ways to save money, but it sure is getting expensive to stay on property. We can offset the cost by being flexible when searching for offers , going less often, and even staying off property for those that can’t or won’t afford it.

Except WDW isn't a large city. I lived in Chicago for years before I got married and had kids. WDW has more space than they know what to do with, no comparison to a large city IMO. They charge sky high prices and parking fees because they can.

One of the reasons that hotels in large cities charge high fees, especially in the downtown core, is because: (a) location; (b) they can; (c) location; (d) demand - usually because of location. It has nothing to do with physical space availability. So in this respect, WDW is exactly like a large city. If you don't want to stay downtown in the large city you have to go to the outskirts and deal with the distance, and the parking and the traffic but you'll get cheaper hotel rates. If you don't want to stay in WDW, you have to go to the outskirts and deal with the distance, and the parking and the traffic but you'll get cheaper hotel rates. Same principles.

One of the reasons that hotels in large cities charge high fees, especially in the downtown core, is because: (a) location; (b) they can; (c) location; (d) demand - usually because of location. It has nothing to do with physical space availability. So in this respect, WDW is exactly like a large city. If you don't want to stay downtown in the large city you have to go to the outskirts and deal with the distance, and the parking and the traffic but you'll get cheaper hotel rates. If you don't want to stay in WDW, you have to go to the outskirts and deal with the distance, and the parking and the traffic but you'll get cheaper hotel rates. Same principles.
Completely different reasons why both hotels in large cities and hotels in WDW are expensive, though. In Chicago, there is literally no land. The only way you can build is up. Most hotels don't even own their own parking, the garages are owned and managed by separate companies. When space is so scarce, of course it will be expensive. WDW, on the other hand, literally owns ALL the empty land around their parks. With the exception of the Swan/Dolphin (not sure of the history on why they were able to be built so close to parks) it is impossible to stay close to parks without staying in a WDW hotel because they own everything and won't let anyone else build on it. So it's actually opposite reasons why a big city is expensive and why WDW is expensive. Big cities have no land, WDW has ALL the land. And WDW can, and does, mark their hotels way way up because of this. I'm pretty sure they got the land their resorts are built on for dirt cheap. That's why Walt chose it.

Completely different reasons why both hotels in large cities and hotels in WDW are expensive, though. In Chicago, there is literally no land. The only way you can build is up. Most hotels don't even own their own parking, the garages are owned and managed by separate companies. When space is so scarce, of course it will be expensive. WDW, on the other hand, literally owns ALL the empty land around their parks. With the exception of the Swan/Dolphin (not sure of the history on why they were able to be built so close to parks) it is impossible to stay close to parks without staying in a WDW hotel because they own everything and won't let anyone else build on it. So it's actually opposite reasons why a big city is expensive and why WDW is expensive. Big cities have no land, WDW has ALL the land. And WDW can, and does, mark their hotels way way up because of this. I'm pretty sure they got the land their resorts are built on for dirt cheap. That's why Walt chose it.

I think the point with the comparison of the city is that WDW is similar because there are things to do there. People want to go to cities such as DC, because there are a ton of things to do there. Certainly, there are some cities that aren't that expensive. They are still strapped for land, and build up, but maybe not a lot to do there, so it can be a more reasonable trip as compared to DC, San Francisco, etc.

WDW is a hot destination, just like others, so it's not cheap. While expensive, they are certainly able to get away with these prices and there is no lull in park or hotel capacity. As the prices have increased, I think it's gotten more crowded and much harder to get in to hotels you want. I've had that problem myself this trip. 6 months out and I can't get the Contemporary.

We had already planned a visit for this fall and usually go every other year but after this we are going to wait at least to 2022. It's all the nickel and diming like the resort parking fees that are the biggest turnoff for me.

Hi everyone. I was really looking forward to booking another trip for next year but now I am not sure. I love Disney World and only stay onsite however, my husband doesn’t share my love and it has been hard enough to convince him to go in the past and now that prices are even higher it might be a hard sell. Most all of my our stays have been moderates, he definitely won’t stay at a value and deluxe resorts have always been pricey for our budget but now the new moderate prices are much more. I am not looking forward to sharing the new prices....just wanted to vent a little.....I knew there would be a price increase, I was just hoping it wouldn’t be this much.
[/QUOTE

The best way to go is to rent DVC points from a member. I have been a DVC member since 1997 and often rent points my family does not use in a particular year. There are countless offers to rent points on the rent/trade board of Disney Vacation Club on this forum. As an example you can stay a week in a Deluxe Studio at Old Key West for about $230 a night if you rent points at the going rate of about $15/point.

Hi everyone. I was really looking forward to booking another trip for next year but now I am not sure. I love Disney World and only stay onsite however, my husband doesn’t share my love and it has been hard enough to convince him to go in the past and now that prices are even higher it might be a hard sell. Most all of my our stays have been moderates, he definitely won’t stay at a value and deluxe resorts have always been pricey for our budget but now the new moderate prices are much more. I am not looking forward to sharing the new prices....just wanted to vent a little.....I knew there would be a price increase, I was just hoping it wouldn’t be this much.
Maybe try renting DVC points or using a travel agency that offers resort discounts. Also, look at the time of year you're going and consider changing that. Resorts tend to be priciest October - December and March - April. Try to go at a different time to get more reasonable prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter