• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else with mixed vaccines concerned we won't be accepted as "fully vaccinated"?

There's a visit fee (it's a house call after all) and then the test fees, plus a lab courier fee. It's somewhere around 1k for the three of us I think (don't have the numbers in front of me that I wrote down). Remember, this is not a budget approach. But for us, time and convenience are well worth it. I personally don't want to spend any of my WDW time trekking off to a pharmacy or other test site, so I'm willing to pay for in-room service. They come right to your room at the time they say and they are very good. I remember when they even worked around our FastPass times once when we used them to remove DD's stitches that had to be removed in the middle of our Disney vacation. We've also had them come in for a case of strep throat and one other time. So we've had multiple experiences with The Medical Concierge at Disney over the years and they have always been professional. It was the concierge at VGF who first told us about them. You can also go to their place, of course. But the whole point for me is to make this the easiest and least disruptive way to get the tests done.
thanks so much!

Both DH and I are mixed (AZ/Moderna) but I'm honestly not that concerned about it for travel. The US won't ask for it and in Europe many have received AZ and some have had to mix. I think it's only a matter of time before countries/the CDC/the WHO etc reverse their stance. As pp have mentioned, already Barbados and Royal Carib among others have already reversed their stance.

Both DH and I are mixed (AZ/Moderna) but I'm honestly not that concerned about it for travel. The US won't ask for it and in Europe many have received AZ and some have had to mix. I think it's only a matter of time before countries/the CDC/the WHO etc reverse their stance. As pp have mentioned, already Barbados and Royal Carib among others have already reversed their stance.

Royal has not reversed their policy yet, they just took it down while they review it. I have a cruise with them booked for this November so I have been following it very closely. Every time someone asks they just they their policy is pending further review, and that is also what they told me when I called them, so it's still unknown. I am canceling either way, I'm just waiting for their decision so I know if I can get a full refund or jut FCC.

Nope, not concerned at all. It will take time for data to be reviewed and then applied within different venues & countries. Heck, even Canada is only currently accepting vaccines that are approved for use within our country towards being "fully vaccinated" It will happen in time.

For PPs who've mentioned the need for a 3rd vaccine, this is likely going to happen regardless of travel concerns ie need for a booster. Watch delta moving through Israel now. An early success story with large numbers as fully vaccinated early in the pandemic with pfizer. Now delta moving through fully vaccinated population and suggesting that fully vaccinated protection has a limited shelf life esp for those with underlying health issues and seniors.

But I completely understand the frustration as I'm first AZ and second Pfizer. I no longer discuss covid with my family md in telehealth conferences as same broken record. I never raise the issue but it is like she is reading from a script repeatedly telling me ie "You didn't make a bad choice with getting AZ and mixing vax". I don't need or wish to hear this. I know I didn't make a 'bad' choice. I made my decisions based on what was available to me at the time and my choice to protect my family and community. I also made my choice without any assistance or participation or input whatsoever from my family md who was completely awol during the pandemic. I'm probably most disappointed with my family md as completely absent from the dialogue and from the pandemic completely. My pharmacist and neighbouring pharmacists who owed me nothing provided more assistance than the medical community. I understand they had chronic care and pre-pandemic patients to triage. But trotting out platitutes now when they offered no advice or assistance just turns me off.

On a more positive note, I agree with PPs that science will bear out and those of us who had to mix vax will eventually be allowed to cruise and travel again. As I have no plans to cruise for over a year or get on an airplane for at least 8-12 months, I can wait. I sympathize and support my fellow DIS'rs who have trips booked and are dealing with this very frustrating issue.:hug:

For PPs who've mentioned the need for a 3rd vaccine, this is likely going to happen regardless of travel concerns ie need for a booster. Watch delta moving through Israel now. An early success story with large numbers as fully vaccinated early in the pandemic with pfizer. Now delta moving through fully vaccinated population and suggesting that fully vaccinated protection has a limited shelf life esp for those with underlying health issues and seniors.

But I completely understand the frustration as I'm first AZ and second Pfizer. I no longer discuss covid with my family md in telehealth conferences as same broken record. I never raise the issue but it is like she is reading from a script repeatedly telling me ie "You didn't make a bad choice with getting AZ and mixing vax". I don't need or wish to hear this. I know I didn't make a 'bad' choice. I made my decisions based on what was available to me at the time and my choice to protect my family and community. I also made my choice without any assistance or participation or input whatsoever from my family md who was completely awol during the pandemic. I'm probably most disappointed with my family md as completely absent from the dialogue and from the pandemic completely. My pharmacist and neighbouring pharmacists who owed me nothing provided more assistance than the medical community. I understand they had chronic care and pre-pandemic patients to triage. But trotting out platitutes now when they offered no advice or assistance just turns me off.

On a more positive note, I agree with PPs that science will bear out and those of us who had to mix vax will eventually be allowed to cruise and travel again. As I have no plans to cruise for over a year or get on an airplane for at least 8-12 months, I can wait. I sympathize and support my fellow DIS'rs who have trips booked and are dealing with this very frustrating issue.:hug:

I agree about great roles that Pharmacist have shown during this Pandemic ,,I know my guys at Rexall have been wonderful!
They really stepped up to the plate and continue to do so.:hug:
I truly appreciate them.
Re: My Family Doc....at times I have felt more up to date and knowledgeable than her.

Hugs
Mel

DH is an Astra-derna and we are worried about it, not for Disney but we want to go to NYC and see some Broadway!

you will likely be screwed because the government will follow CDC and CDC is unlikely to change for us. You will likely need a third shot of the same type you had for your second and then will be good to go. Luckily Canada has way more than we can use so it should be easy to get. While the USA doesn't like vaccine passports, that really would only apply to USA citizens. I am sure the general public will have no problem with whatever they require from outsiders coming in to the country

One of the reasons that I'm not too worried is that key government figures have skin in the game. I know the Prime Minister did Astra Zeneca + Moderna and I think Ford also did an Astra Zeneca + mRna combo. So I figure that they will definitely be pushing for other countries to accept the combination. I agree with others that the U.S. doesn't seem that concerned about vaccinations among travellers so I don't see them denying entry based on mixed vaccines.

Some good news for those in Quebec... a third dose may be possible for those who have the AZ/mRNA mixed dose combo and need to travel to a country that does not recognize that. See https://www.vaughantoday.ca/travel-abroad-a-third-dose-of-the-vaccine-will-be-allowed-if-needed/ [there are errors in it and I do not know their sourcing, but if accurate this is good news].
Curious how that might impact our ability to later get the anticipated booster shot. Possibly that might sub for a booster shot? Or possibly just another future tangle for mixed vaxers. Still suspect that a required booster shot will address the travel problem ie 2 same doses of pfizer or moderna will then appear on a vax passport.

Curious how that might impact our ability to later get the anticipated booster shot. Possibly that might sub for a booster shot? Or possibly just another future tangle for mixed vaxers. Still suspect that a required booster shot will address the travel problem ie 2 same doses of pfizer or moderna will then appear on a vax passport.

I think the timing will then be an issue. From what I'm reading, if the doses are more than 6 weeks apart you aren't considered fully vaxxed to the CDC. Obviously another tangle for Canadians to sort out. I am just about 5 weeks from my Pfizer, should I be trying to get another dose asap? Or do I wait and see? My "plan" is to wait for the drive across border to open without the testing requirements, then it if's still an issue, perhaps a single dose of J&J in the US and I'd be considered full vaxxed there. But we'll see how it all goes I guess.

Another big - and perhaps the biggest issue - as the article suggested, is what will a third dose that isn't purposely engineered as a booster do to our health? Is it safe to have 3 covid vaccines? Don't know of any study that suggests one way or the other. I love travel. I live for travel. But I enjoy my good health and quality of life more. Travel is on a back burner for me until we have more info.

I think the timing will then be an issue. From what I'm reading, if the doses are more than 6 weeks apart you aren't considered fully vaxxed to the CDC. Obviously another tangle for Canadians to sort out. I am just about 5 weeks from my Pfizer, should I be trying to get another dose asap? Or do I wait and see? My "plan" is to wait for the drive across border to open without the testing requirements, then it if's still an issue, perhaps a single dose of J&J in the US and I'd be considered full vaxxed there. But we'll see how it all goes I guess.

Do you have some source for this? All I can find on the CDC page is this ...

Have You Been Fully Vaccinated?
In general, people are considered fully vaccinated: ±

• 2 weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or
  • 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine
If you don’t meet these requirements, regardless of your age, you are NOT fully vaccinated. Keep taking all precautions until you are fully vaccinated.

Do you have some source for this? All I can find on the CDC page is this ...

Have You Been Fully Vaccinated?
In general, people are considered fully vaccinated: ±

• 2 weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or
  • 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine
If you don’t meet these requirements, regardless of your age, you are NOT fully vaccinated. Keep taking all precautions until you are fully vaccinated.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/second-shot.html
You should get your second shot as close to the recommended 3-week or 4-week interval as possible. However, your second dose may be given up to 6 weeks (42 days) after the first dose, if necessary. You should not get the second dose early. There is currently limited information on the effectiveness of receiving your second shot earlier than recommended or later than 6 weeks after the first shot.

From what I understand, some cruise lines are now using this guidance regarding the 6 weeks between shots max. I will assume it is only the cruiselines that this is an issue for, but since that's my vacation of choice (besides Disney, which doesn't really matter since they don't seem to care if you are vaccinated or not), it is just another thing I have to hope gets sorted out.

Under the current CDC guidance the mRNA vaccines are considered valid if the dosing interval is longer than the recommended interval:

Interval between mRNA doses
The second dose of Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines should be administered as close to the recommended interval as possible, but not earlier than recommended (i.e., 3 weeks [Pfizer-BioNTech] or 1 month [Moderna]). However, individuals who receive the second dose up to 4 days before or at any time after the recommended date can be considered fully vaccinated.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/covid-19-vaccines-us.html

Definitely agree with the need to wait and see how things evolve. Especially as the Canadian government has publically stated they are working with other governments so that Canadian vaccinations will be recognized, which would imply that the mixed ones many Canadians now have would be at some point in the future [by at least some other governments].

SW

Under the current CDC guidance the mRNA vaccines are considered valid if the dosing interval is longer than the recommended interval:

Interval between mRNA doses
The second dose of Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines should be administered as close to the recommended interval as possible, but not earlier than recommended (i.e., 3 weeks [Pfizer-BioNTech] or 1 month [Moderna]). However, individuals who receive the second dose up to 4 days before or at any time after the recommended date can be considered fully vaccinated.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/covid-19-vaccines-us.html

Definitely agree with the need to wait and see how things evolve. Especially as the Canadian government has publically stated they are working with other governments so that Canadian vaccinations will be recognized, which would imply that the mixed ones many Canadians now have would be.

SW

But it says by up to 4 days before or after? that's not a lot of time given the interval that Canada has been using.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter