Anyone else worried about their unvaccinated minor?

We’ve decided we’re not cruising or traveling by public transportation until my youngest can be vaccinated - the biggest reason we cancelled our October cruise. My husband, 12 year old, and myself are vaccinated, but it became clear vaccines for the 6 year old weren’t going to be available in time. Of course, now with Delta I’m worried about exposure for all of us!

I would never take an unvaccinated minor on one of these cruises or even WDW at this time or expose them in anyway to this risk. Would you ever forgive yourself if they became deathly sick or ended up in the ICU? I know I wouldn’t. The ships and cruise lines aren’t going anywhere and eventually we will be able to cruise some version of normal again if people get vaccinated and get this under control.

This Delta variant is too contagious and they’re still learning about it as we go. I disagree with an earlier poster that this is not dangerous for children – I think that was the case initially, but its changing quickly with these variants.

ETA: No I don’t think the Disney protocols in place are sufficient to stop transmission.

Last edited:
We're not going anywhere we do not have to go until our 10 year old is vaccinated. To each their own, but some kids do get sick from Covid. Our cruises are scheduled, but we still have time to cancel.

Same here. Our youngest turns 10 this week and I don’t feel like it’s fair to him for us to resume our regular lives until he’s vax’d. And not worth the risk (albeit low). With the delta variant spreading and people being so crappy about masking, we aren’t flying anywhere much less getting on a cruise at this point. It’s going to stink having to cancel trips but we’ll find other things to do.

We are only at the beginning of the wave. If that was me (having unvaccinated kids) and I had a way out, I would postpone.

We are likely pushing our Feb 22 cruise out to July 22, but if DCL extends the 9/30/22 date then we would push it even further.

What has been shown is that the vaccinated are shedding at/near same rates as unvaccinated with Delta, so either everyone needs to be masked/tested or just assume the risks. Who knows what the next mutation will bring - hopefully just the sniffles.

We pushed our October '21 cruise to April mostly for this reason.

We are considering going to Universal in October instead... but we're not set in stone on that plan either.

I would be less concerned if DCL tested everyone as the vaccinated are getting and spreading the virus also. However, a fit and healthy child is in a very low risk group. Is a cruise that much worse than a school or playground?

Agree!!

I am currently in the UK and we have a huge amount of fully vaccinated people now testing positive for covid.

From a personal point of view up until around a month ago I did not know a single person who had tested positive or had covid since the start of the pandemic. More recently I have had several work associates test positive and even closer both my father and mother in law who are fully vaccinated have tested positive in the last 2 weeks.

It could be any member of your party that shows a positive case at any point prior to or during the cruise 😬

My concern would be procedures if any of the party test positive. Especially if a bigger family or extended group. Are you removed from the ship ? Do they remove your entire party? Who picks up and associated costs? Does travel insurance only reimburse you for the person who tested positive or will other family members be able to claim if they choose not to continue the trip and remain with the " infected" member ???

If the Delta variant is highly transmissible even by vaccinated people and vaccinated people do not need to be tested, doesn't that mean that there could be many people carrying the Delta variant without knowing and they could then spread it easily in a cruise environment to an unvaccinated passenger?

Do you think the protocols in place are sufficient to stop transmission? Is anyone else concerned with this?

Thanks!

Yes, there could be many people carrying the Delta variant without knowing it. A lot of cases in vaccinated individuals are asymptomatic, so they are carriers (and spreaders) but don't feel sick so they don't know they are spreading it.

While I think the protocols are good, I'm not convinced they are sufficient to stop transmission. This variant is a lot more contagious than the original, and although Disney has a lot of protocols in place all it takes is one interaction. It's a personal choice, of course, but I work with a lot of medical professionals and they are very hesitant about Delta.

I booked our November cruise pretty soon after my youngest got vaccinated - she turned 12 and they approved it for 12-and-up a day or two later, she got hers immediately. Like some of the posters, I don't think I'd be comfortable cruising with unvaccinated children - if not for their sake, for the continued transmission of a virus that we're desperately trying to stamp out and the possibility of infecting others. The Disney protocols sound good but I can't imagine we won't see more stories of infections breaking out on cruise ships no matter what the protocols are. I do have a good amount of confidence that we'll be reasonably safe even if there's exposure, so I'm fairly comfortable with my family cruising.

Survivability is a pretty lousy way to judge risk IMHO - you're extremely unlikely to die from cutting off your hand or having your legs run over by a tractor trailer, either, but that doesn't mean that they're no big deal!

I have an 8 year old and a 4 year old. If my cruise was this year I would not go, but I understand that others are more comfortable.

We had an October cruise booked, but decided to pull out because 2 of 3 children in our family cannot be vaccinated. With school, we are putting them in-person because it is school and they need school, versus as much as a cruise sounds awesome, it is not a risk we are willing to take for a fun vacation.

Hubby and I had talked about this in the past. With the nature of this virus, we are glad that our kids are now young adults. There is no way would have sent them to school or taken them on vacation without being vaccinated. There are too many unknowns about long term affects that it is not worth it. Waiting a year or 2 is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter