Anyone *enjoy* having MB+

CodeGoddess

DIS Veteran
I see a lot of MB+ talk but very little of it is positive. Anyone out there who is really enjoying having the MB+?

>>We're planning a trip to WDW this spring (husband has a work thing) and then DL in the fall. I'm wondering if I should invest in one. I had the old MB that came with the rooms and really enjoyed the tapping for everything. I don't have an apple watch so it's either my phone or invest in a MB+. Thoughts?

As I mentioned in the mb+ thread that’s pinned above, I like mine when I don’t have issues charging it.

No one in my party has the magicband+, but I personally feel it’s not worth it. One in my party used the old original band just to get in the room and parks, one used the magicband before the +, one used their watch, and I used my phone. While in the grand scheme the bands aren’t expensive, but to get the most out of them you’d have to replace them every year or two.

Using your phone (since you don’t have a watch) is very easy. Don’t have to turn it on or anything. Just hold it to the reader.

The two downfalls of the phone. Number one getting in your hotel room. While it’s not hard, you have to go into the app (which of course can take time sometimes), and get to the unlock door feature. Other downfall is if you want to swim.

To get around the room door and swimming, I just venture down to the front desk when we get there to get a key card. I leave it in my wallet and put it in the pocket of my swim trunks while swimming.

The ride photos seem to be a crapshoot no matter what you have. The one using the band that was only two years old, and me with my phone, rode everything together. We have about half the photos from rides we were on. I couldn’t tell you if it was my phone, his band, or a mix of the two picking them up. But it’s been quite frustrating that between two devices that should read photos they only did so half the time. Never had this issue in past trips with the phone or bands.

While I own one MB+ and I prefer wearing a MB compared to using a card, my phone, or my watch, I don't recommend them. They are uncomfortable and if you don't get them on the charger properly, they don't charge. And when charging - they glow so it's another light shining in my hotel room at night The material they are made out of - vs. the prior ones - isn't comfortable on my wrist. I still wear it, but I am thrilled to take it off at the end of each day.

Magic band use has decreased a lot at WDW. While I am sure some people love saving money, people fishing for cards or trying to use their phones has noticeably slowed park entry, entry into LL, and merchandise check-out. I think Disney is trying to phase them out and expects people to invest in back-up chargers for their phones instead.

I misplaced 2 of the chargers.....so I used an old MB instead of the MB+. I had brought the MB+ with me because we were going on the Wish. I never even used it on the boat?

Didn't bother with a MB+, but I really like the convenience of the older free MB - wish there was a way to replace the battery.

I did try using my Android phone for the MB+ features - like ride photos - but it was very hit or miss and they were not able to find all my photos - so for that reason I wish I had gotten the MB+.

For me its another case of something that was free with your trip now being another charge, so I did not bother with it.

The MB+ should last a really long time. With the original MB they last about 2 years before the battery wears out. That said when they used to be free for folks staying on site, I got a new one every trip. Still have a bunch of em in my bag.

In our party some have MB+, the others just the basic. No one with the + finds it especially interesting or engaging, and we love Disney trinkets. This one just doesn't hit the mark.

I love it, I don't want to have to fumble with my phone for every LL scan etc. It's made DLR so much easier. Tapping for me is just easier and I like that they are a bit interactive with lighting up on some ride exits and along with shows.

My family and I are still using old-style MBs from getting on for a decade ago with no problems. I really like them, they just work, are dependably reliable, and never need to be charged. So of course Disney had to phase them out. ☹️ On our recent trip we tried to find somewhere to buy an old-style MB for our daughter’s boyfriend, but everywhere we went had only MB+.

Well if you want to use it at Disneyland, you have to get the plus. The originals don't work there.

Interesting. WDW is still allowing originals, though I noticed they deactivated most of them. But it’s easy to activate them again online or at the gate.

I don’t think they are worth the hype. We had issues with ours on our first trip using them (using to access our room, theme park entry snafus) that didn’t exactly inspire confidence. The regular MBs worked much better for us.

If you liked the old magic bands, I would think you would like the new ones as well, they work pretty much the same. That being said, I didn't buy new ones for my upcoming trip, not because I don't think they are worth it, but because they didn't have any designs that I thought were cool enough to have.

If you’re someone who would be going to DL, WDW and taking a Disney Cruise, it might be useful. The bounty hunter game in Galaxy Edge is a good time filler. I got a Halloween MB+ after the holiday so it was relatively cheap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter