• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone ever pay one of them Web

low-key

14001, 60056, 224
Sites to do a family history ?

I would like to know things, but Im not positive the really know for sure what there telling you. I dont care if my history is bad or good but I would want the truth, and for the movie buffs out there let me say it first "you cant handle the truth" :rotfl:

I've thought about it several times, but every time I get ready to do so, I think about the family history I do know, and that's about all I can handle.

I do have a business associate who did this, and the trace went all the way back to Adam & Eve. IIRC they used ancestry.com.

I've thought about it several times, but every time I get ready to do so, I think about the family history I do know, and that's about all I can handle.

I do have a business associate who did this, and the trace went all the way back to Adam & Eve. IIRC they used ancestry.com.

And exactly what primary documents were available to use to accomplish this "trace"?

hey! i must be related ! :rolleyes1

I would just go on Ancestry.com and put in as many ancestors as you know. Chances are that someone else has already done most of the footwork for you and you can find out what you want to know.

The only reason to pay a person these days is if you need someone who is willing to actually go and do footwork or to translate documents. (I am either going to Austin and sitting in a library for several days to do research or hiring someone to do it for me in 2015. I have friends with Cajun and Spanish ancestors who have paid folks to do good translations of documents. ) Otherwise, they're just going on ancestry.com and doing google searches and then charging you for what you could've done yourself.

I use ancestry.com and have found a lot of information. BUT, its not that simple. It takes a LOT of work and a LOT of time. You can find documents , names, relations, etc, but its not just obvious. Its like putting together a puzzle and trying to fit all the pieces.

You might find names, etc, but histories such as stories and who these people were is a lot more complicated. There are also times you might need to go to the actual source and pay for certain information. A majority comes from connecting with people that pop up with your ancestors on their own tree.

Not everything is there. Where your family comes from can determine how much information you can find. Like I said, these sites can give you jumping off points but to really find out good information, you will need to put in the work.

That said, I love it. Ive found a lot of information.

You may want to investigate!

I know mine but not from a research site; Relatives stories and birth records.
My many times removed Gparents were married after "meeting" on a pirate ship; He was one of the Captain's lieutenants, she had been kidnapped and saved from her captors. This was in the 1600's.

The Captain was Peter Easton, My Ggggrandparents were Lte. Gilbert Pike and
Sheila O'Connor daughter of an Irish king. She was granted the name "Nagira"
Old gaelic slang for "Beautiful". This was b/c of her benevolent life on the island of Newfoundland, (Canada).

Good luck if you research yours! :goodvibes

I would just go on Ancestry.com and put in as many ancestors as you know. Chances are that someone else has already done most of the footwork for you and you can find out what you want to know.

The only reason to pay a person these days is if you need someone who is willing to actually go and do footwork or to translate documents. (I am either going to Austin and sitting in a library for several days to do research or hiring someone to do it for me in 2015. I have friends with Cajun and Spanish ancestors who have paid folks to do good translations of documents. ) Otherwise, they're just going on ancestry.com and doing google searches and then charging you for what you could've done yourself.

It's not that simple if you really want to trace your family history. There are many, many incorrect trees on ancestry.

It's not that simple if you really want to trace your family history. There are many, many incorrect trees on ancestry.

DW has discovered lots of bogus stuff on not just Ancestry, but also FamilySearch . . . also a lot of people unwilling to correct their tree even when presented with documentary evidence.

Low Key I'm pretty sure you're the crown jewel of your family. :) Unless I'm a distant relative of Walt's that will get me a night in the castle, I don't care.:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter