Anyone ever taken a recuperation cruise?

Cheburashka

Momketeer
Sorry in advance for the long post. I'm trying to decide if I should take a solo mental health cruise. Here's a little background on my situation:

For the past 8 months, my son has had a severe ear disorder and the doctors can't find out what is causing it, testing & treatment are still ongoing, and he had to withdraw from his school last week due to not being well enough to attend in person (no virtual option for teens). I'm enrolling him in a private virtual school so that he can continue with his education, but I'm worried about his health, well-being and his future. Aside from that, I'm breaking up and will now have less money available, and am about to move into a smaller, less comfortable home. My mother recently developed tremors and is having to sell her house due to being unable to fully care for it, so I invited her to live with us. She will pitch in financially, which will really help, and it's the right thing to do for her because she says she's been lonely living on her own & will probably have a harder time managing as time goes by, but of course it's going to give me less personal space. I am also going to have to take my son's father back to court soon for non-payment of his half of my son's orthodontia. My job is demanding, as well. I've got a lot on my plate, and while I'm strong and soldiering through, I could really use a vacation.

I'm looking at doing a back-to-back on the Dream, when my son is scheduled to be with his father. My son is far too fragile to go. We've taken 6 Disney cruises together, so I know it will be sad & depressing at times to be there without him- he was always my best travel buddy. On the other hand, imo there is nothing like a cruise when you want to get away from it all, and that's what I want. I can see myself relaxing in the stateroom, getting room service & quick service, playing the occasional bingo game, swimming, soaking in the hot tub, reading on a lounger, etc. Not having to answer to or take care of anyone, manage anything, or make any serious decisions, for one full week. It won't be cheap but I'm talking myself into thinking it will be worth it. I don't want to try another line, btw, because I want to go where I know what the experience will be. I'm in no mood to experiment with something new.

Has anyone here ever done this, taken a cruise to heal after a traumatic time in your life? Thoughts?

Last edited:
2 years ago after my son had been in the hospital and we spend months and months with constant care needs, I was just done, drained and needed away. I luckily had a friend that could take off with me last min to go on a cruise, had she not been able to I would have gone alone. I say do it and give yourself time to heal and energize yourself.

Two times (2012, 2014) my husband and I had cruises booked. When the cruise dates arrived, we found ourselves in the midst of some major health issues with our parents (his in 2012, mine in 2014). Because we had other family members to step in and help temporarily, we went ahead and cruised. It was just what we needed to back away from the stress and just relax. It gave us the break we needed to face the challenges again once we returned. Just getting that "breather" was an immense help!

It’s not because of a traumatic situation (other than the trauma of the pandemic), but I am going on my first solo cruise next month. I’ve always cruised with my husband and DD but that wasn’t going to be possible this time. It’s only 3 nights but DD doesn’t want to miss 2 days of school, and I can’t go with my husband because we have no one to watch DD.

So I decided to take my first solo vacation EVER. I could use a recharge after us being in each other’s faces 24/7 for 17 months, and I’m really looking forward to doing whatever I want and finally fully enjoying the adult areas! It’s a little scary and I’m sure I’ll miss my family at times, but I think it’s worth trying at least once. I can’t imagine you would regret doing it.

I just retired but up until that I had a very stressful job and I also have two adult children with mental health struggles. I traveled solo on DCL once or twice a year for the last 5 years before Covid. I have wonderful memories of cruising with my kids and sisters, and still cruise with them, but traveling solo always helps me to regroup and relax. No one needing or wanting anything from me - just doing what I want. I enjoy the spa, rainforest room, satellite falls, movies, shows, champagne tastings, and reading. What I loved most was talking to other guests on the pool deck or in the hot tub. If they were interesting I'd chat for awhile and if not I'd get up and move on. I know this helped me get through some really tough times. I say go for it! As moms we often put other people first so once in awhile we need to take care of ourselves!

Has anyone here ever done this, taken a cruise to heal after a traumatic time in your life? Thoughts?

Me. Have done it before after my mother died, and just got off one after some other family trauma.

The sea is my peace. The rushing waters beside the ship heals my soul after pouring so much of it out for those I love. The moonlight on the ocean tickles my imagination after feeling dull for so long. The sunrise warming my face in the morning brings hope to me again. Go. Heal. Breathe.

Also highly recommend getting a massage if you can, or a yoga session. <3

I have a special needs son and DH knows at least once a year I need a solo Disney trip to reset myself so I can be there mentally and physically ready for them. You have to take sometime to care for yourself. Take time away to wherever that will make you happy. Found these quotes that help explain.

My husband and I cruise by ourselves. It is such a relaxing experience. One of the only truly relaxing vacations we take. You don’t have to be anywhere at a certain time, don’t have to cook one meal, don’t have to worry about making reservations for dinner and no cleaning. Someone else takes care of everything.

When we leave the ship, we are refreshed and recharged.

Gotta take care of yourself. I think a solo cruise would be relaxing and fun.

I hope this question won't deter you, but I am just curious. Are there a lot of solo cruisers on Disney?

Whatever it takes for you to sleep through the night? If you can afford it and it doesn't hurt your family?

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Like many before me said, you should do it. You need to take care of yourself. There is only so much you can do until you are completely drain and you should not push yourself that far.
During Covid, found out my Dad had brain cancer with one month to live. We had our second child and 2 days later most of the company I work for was furloughed. 2 days after that, my father passed away. My Mom lives about 6 hours away and every two months she stays with us for two months. With a baby, virtual school and working from home is tough. I feel I don't have any mental break. I can feel my temper is shorter and I get angrier.
And this very second, I'm on a cruise by myself and it is great! I highly encourage it.

Sorry in advance for the long post. I'm trying to decide if I should take a solo mental health cruise. Here's a little background on my situation:

For the past 8 months, my son has had a severe ear disorder and the doctors can't find out what is causing it, testing & treatment are still ongoing, and he had to withdraw from his school last week due to not being well enough to attend in person (no virtual option for teens). I'm enrolling him in a private virtual school so that he can continue with his education, but I'm worried about his health, well-being and his future. Aside from that, I'm breaking up and will now have less money available, and am about to move into a smaller, less comfortable home. My mother recently developed tremors and is having to sell her house due to being unable to fully care for it, so I invited her to live with us. She will pitch in financially, which will really help, and it's the right thing to do for her because she says she's been lonely living on her own & will probably have a harder time managing as time goes by, but of course it's going to give me less personal space. I am also going to have to take my son's father back to court soon for non-payment of his half of my son's orthodontia. My job is demanding, as well. I've got a lot on my plate, and while I'm strong and soldiering through, I could really use a vacation.

I'm looking at doing a back-to-back on the Dream, when my son is scheduled to be with his father. My son is far too fragile to go. We've taken 6 Disney cruises together, so I know it will be sad & depressing at times to be there without him- he was always my best travel buddy. On the other hand, imo there is nothing like a cruise when you want to get away from it all, and that's what I want. I can see myself relaxing in the stateroom, getting room service & quick service, playing the occasional bingo game, swimming, soaking in the hot tub, reading on a lounger, etc. Not having to answer to or take care of anyone, manage anything, or make any serious decisions, for one full week. It won't be cheap but I'm talking myself into thinking it will be worth it. I don't want to try another line, btw, because I want to go where I know what the experience will be. I'm in no mood to experiment with something new.

I've done some cruises like that with one other family member so not completely alone, but do what you have to do. There aren't any rules that say you can't travel alone.

Just got
back from one today. My dad died in June and the funeral was in July, so I got on as soon as I could. I called it "My dad died and I just need to get away" cruise. It worked perfectly.
Sorry to hear about your dad. I agree with you about get away cruises. I feel like every cruise is getting away from something.

Totally off-topic, but your chocolate lab puppy in your signature looks so much like mine it shocked me for a moment. She's one thing I hate getting away from. It was hard leaving her to cruise last week.

I went on a Bermuda DCL cruise 2 days after being diagnosed with Lupus in 2018. My mind was off and I wasn’t myself, but it was totally what I needed

Gotta take care of yourself. I think a solo cruise would be relaxing and fun.

I hope this question won't deter you, but I am just curious. Are there a lot of solo cruisers on Disney?

I’ve cruised solo a few times and on the short cruises on the Dream I was matched with other solo cruisers at dinner. The short cruises are very easy to do solo so I think they’re more popular as a short solo getaway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter