Anyone experience paralysis after surgery?

thinkerbell

DIS Veteran
I do not know this person but I will be filling in for them at work. This was relayed to me by a co-worker. She had surgery to ”fix” her nose after her dog accidentally broke it. When she woke up from surgery, her husband was told that everything went well but after she woke up she couldn’t move either her arms or legs. The next day she had feeling in and could move her arms. It has been about a week and a half since her surgery and she has gained feeling in her legs but can’t move them at all. It sounds like it is coming back slowly. They have told her that they don’t know if/when she will regain function of her legs. They are thinking it may be from the anesthesia according to the coworker. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this or know someone who has? I have never heard of that, especially after something like nose surgery. I feel so bad for her. They told me that they may need me a week, 2 weeks, 4 weeks, or longer. They just don’t know. I can’t imagine going in for something like that and coming out basically paralyzed.

My best friend's brother got Guillain Barre after spinal surgery. He was paralized but able to walk again after time and physical therapy.
So glad he is better and I’m praying she also gets better quickly. She is also going to have therapy but they are doing it at home. She was evaluated for therapy at a facility but they didn’t accept her. Not sure why.

Not to that extent, but I had trouble moving my legs after surgery a few years ago... had to physically move them to get out of bed. And felt like I'd been hit by a truck. The only thing I could attribute it to was the anesthesia. Had to have a follow-up surgery not long after and told the anesthesiologist about the experience... they used something else, and I had no trouble after.

I was thinking Guillain Barre too, I get really unusual awful things that happen weeks after surgery so it is a totally real thing, whether or not it is Guillain Barre or something else, I'm not sure. Drs don't talk about consequences and ignore complaints after but the lawyers sure know all about it when they create those long release forms and tell patients we need to sign them - someone is full of it.

Not to that extent, but I had trouble moving my legs after surgery a few years ago... had to physically move them to get out of bed. And felt like I'd been hit by a truck. The only thing I could attribute it to was the anesthesia. Had to have a follow-up surgery not long after and told the anesthesiologist about the experience... they used something else, and I had no trouble after.
They are thinking hers is also from the anesthesia. How long did it take you to get all feeling back?

A few days.

I could stand and make it to the bathroom after I got my legs off the side of the bed, but I couldn't get them to move on their own in the bed for anything. It was really disconcerting, but apparently didn't bother anyone in the hospital that it was happening other than me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter