• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone flying American Air... better double check, our flights were cancelled & not a peep from them...

I still don't understand why you aren't being switched to another flight without having to pay more, because upcharging customers to switch flights after the airline's cancellation isn't AA policy, as I and other posters have attested.

I don't recommend avoiding AA forever because of one sub-par customer service experience. All of the airlines have shaky customer service- it is an industry renowned for poor service. Here are just a few examples:
  • JetBlue: They cancelled not only our flights 3 weeks before our trip, but permanently ended most routes involving our city, and then still wouldn't give a refund because prior I had made one change to our flights, so they said technically it was a credit and non-refundable, even though they'd ended most service to my city. I had to dispute that via my credit card company (and won).
  • United: Just do a quick Google search and you'll read horror stories about how they've treated some of their passengers. I've had both positive and negative experiences with them.
  • Southwest: Some people on these boards gush about their customer service (or used to- I've noticed not so much anymore), but I've had both good and bad experiences with them personally. Like United, they've also had their share of horror stories in the news, though theirs have mostly been about out-of-control passengers onboard.
  • Spirit: They and other bargain basement carriers openly admit to offering no real customer service at all.
Etc, etc. If you're going to fly regularly, you're going to have to deal with customer service issues. You can minimize those by flying first class, but naturally that's expensive, and even that won't completely protect you from issues. I've flown American, JetBlue, Southwest, Delta, United, WestJet, Air France, and KLM within the past 5 years. And from that experience I can tell you that American's customer service is no worse than any of the others. I recommend choosing flights based on convenience, comfort and cost, not loyalty to or antagonism against any particular airline. They all have service issues occasionally, but once you board, they all will get you to your destination.
I don't understand the OP not being switched to another flight either. I've had a lot of flights changed after booking. On all major airlines. None of them have just cancelled my flight and not automatically completed a rebooking at no additional cost.

Just last week I had a flight change for a Cancun trip in April. I guess technically it was a cancellation, since the flight number, aircraft type and times all changed. They had already booked me on the new flight. Luckily the times didn't alter too much so the new flight works and I don't need to change it but I have a notice on my AA account that if I want to change it, I can at no cost. The new seats they assigned were not all 4 together so I just went on and changed the seats to be together but left everything else alone. By the way, I noticed this flight change like Wednesday or so. I got the email about it today. I have noticed there is a lag between the change and the emails. No idea why. Maybe OP just noticed the change before the emails went out.

Last edited:
American did this to us last Nov (Spirit had horrendous delays in June). They cancelled one day before and had a 4 hour wait to talk to an agent; they wanted to divide us up one person with 2 kids on an evening flight, another person the day after on a red eye -1.5 day later (we we’re flying with 3 kids). We immediately booked with spirit and paid $1300? for one way and just accepted the refund ($400 flight with discounts).

There needs to be some regulation as it seems bait and switch.

Our flight isn't until May but our times just changed. Not horrible but still annoying. From an 8am to MCO to now a 9:15 out. And we were supposed to head back at 4:20pm and now it's a 5:50 pm flight. Not to mention the fares more than doubled and that's if we were to take the other early flight back. (And to actually book our current flights this morning it would cost $1,800!!)

Are there any other AA flights to Scotland that day? I only ask because we are flying AA from Philly to Orlando in April and booked on the last flight out due to having to work that day. I was hesitant to book it because there were maybe 30 seats sold. Three days after I booked, I received notification that our flight changed to about 45 minutes earlier - actually better for us. We are on a smaller plane and there are only about a third of the seats left. I don’t know for sure, but I’m thinking they may have combined two flights. Anyway, I feel much better about the flight now.

Good luck! I hope everything works out for you!
There are 2 other flights to Scotland that day. Both fly thru London and have longer layovers. We would have to make special arrangements for transportation to our hotel with our tour operator because these flights get in late afternoon to early evening. Our currrent flight gets in at 10:30am. We would lose a whole day. By the way, both those flights have about the same number of seats sold as ours.

Good luck finding a direct fight from CHA to MCO (hint, you can not)
Trust me, there are a LOT of cities without direct flights to MCO

Not the best example, CHA is a very small city with an extremely limited number of flight offerings.. With that said, you could technically fly Allegiant into Sanford airport....

Not the best example, CHA is a very small city with an extremely limited number of flight offerings.. With that said, you could technically fly Allegiant into Sanford airport....
Only proving a counter to your point that anyone can fly direct to MCO.
By the way, hate to break it to you but Sanford is not MCO.
Nor is Allegiant a real airline. Fly is used in the loosest of terms.

Cr.p, I check my reservation every few weeks, not leaving till end of May. Now I see my flight is cancelled.

Cr.p, I check my reservation every few weeks, not leaving till end of May. Now I see my flight is cancelled.
So they cancelled your flight and did not reschedule you on another?
I don't understand why they do reschedule some and not others.
What is the criteria to qualify for them to put you on another flight?

They did our without me doing anything.

So they cancelled your flight and did not reschedule you on another?
I don't understand why they do reschedule some and not others.
What is the criteria to qualify for them to put you on another flight?

They did our without me doing anything.

After going on American Airline and putting in our confirmation I found they put us on another flight. Would of been nice to know. It's a little later but that is ok. Maybe I found out before they contacted me.

After going on American Airline and putting in our confirmation I found they put us on another flight. Would of been nice to know. It's a little later but that is ok.
That's what they did with mine last week.
The oddest part is I noticed it on Tuesday or Wednesday. I finally got an email about it Saturday.
So it's possible they'll still alert you, depending on how long it's been

That makes no sense.
I've had American cancel several of our flights and they rebooked us on another flight at no additional cost.
Most recently over Christmas, our flight was cancelled. The new flight was 3 layovers. I called and they moved our flights to a much better flight. The listed cost for the new flight was over double what we had paid. There was no additional cost for modifying our flight after they had cancelled our initial flight.

I was in Vegas a month ago and AA cancelled my flight without notification. I caught it 12 hours before, got my refund, and booked on another airline because I was so pissed. They can email about endless nonsense but the thing that actually matters- silence!

There are 2 other flights to Scotland that day. Both fly thru London and have longer layovers. We would have to make special arrangements for transportation to our hotel with our tour operator because these flights get in late afternoon to early evening. Our currrent flight gets in at 10:30am. We would lose a whole day. By the way, both those flights have about the same number of seats sold as ours.

The direct flight from ORD-EDI will not be operating. I recommend you call AA, they should have rebooked you already.
ETA: AA has pulled out of EDI for the summer so you will have to have a connection somewhere.

Last edited:
I was in Vegas a month ago and AA cancelled my flight without notification. I caught it 12 hours before, got my refund, and booked on another airline because I was so pissed. They can email about endless nonsense but the thing that actually matters- silence!

OP here... this exactly... I went back and I had a ton of CC offers from them ( AA) ...yet not one email of the cancellation..

Since this has happened, We went to a retirement party, and one of the other guest who retired from AA, said that this is basically how they do things... they offer flights that they know that they are pretty much on the chopping block and wait to notify you at the last minute so that you have no alternative but to go with the crap flight that they move you to, to fill the plane, and not have to give you your money back... I was shocked when she said that... I was like that's really bad... she was if you think that they treat their customers bad, you should have worked for them, even worse... I was like wow... she said now they just fly stand by if they are flying domestically as its free... she said that they book with different airlines for international travel, and pay for it as that want peace of mind... She said but I do have a great pension... I was like well then it was worth it... she said now it's worth it...

I'm a planner, and plus I have a touch of OCD... so I check stuff like this all the time, especially when I hear of something like my friends experienced...

OP here... another update...

I got part of my refund on Saturday night , then last night ( Sunday night) I got the other part... 1st refund was for all 4 tickets base price, then last night was for the seat class upgrade that we paid for... so we did get all our of our money back... so Yay...

I will be booking new flights today...

Keep everyone posted on which airline, and the cost...

The direct flight from ORD-EDI will not be operating. I recommend you call AA, they should have rebooked you already.
ETA: AA has pulled out of EDI for the summer so you will have to have a connection somewhere.
We are flying Ord to LHR to EDI. There was never a direct flight from ORD to EDI. There was a flight from ORD to PHL to EDI last year.

Over the weekend there were 33 more seats sold for our flight including 7 in Business Class. We hope the sales continue to fill our flight.

Last edited:
We are flying Ord to LHR to EDI. There was never a direct flight from ORD to EDI. There was a flight from ORD to PHL to EDI last year.

Over the weekend there were 33 more seats sold for our flight including 7 in Business Class. We hope the sales continue to fill our flight.
And that’s what I get for typing while tired. 🙂 I was booked on the EDI/PHL for my return home and knew it was cancelled. I hope your ORD/LHR flight stays at the schedule you want!

Looks like AA canceled the 10:30pm flight from ORD to LHR and on to EDI on May 27th. I believe that they moved all those seats to our flight. :yay::yay::yay:

OP here...

I booked yesterday with Delta...

and the price was 2,828.00... for 4 tickets...

I did book main cabin so that I could choose our seats, which the Delta rep did for me.... got non-stop both ways.. so another plus... as well better flights times both ways... so I feel pretty good...

Thank you to April in Texas for the amazing customer service... honestly I was taken by surprise at the wonderful job she did, and she was so pleasant to talk to.... It was soooo nice to have wonderful customer service experience...

Our flight isn't until May but our times just changed. Not horrible but still annoying. From an 8am to MCO to now a 9:15 out. And we were supposed to head back at 4:20pm and now it's a 5:50 pm flight. Not to mention the fares more than doubled and that's if we were to take the other early flight back. (And to actually book our current flights this morning it would cost $1,800!!)

Much like what happened to my upcoming American flight. It was a really good price and the schedule was perfect. A few days after booking they changed it. It shifted about 2 hours later with a 40 minute connection at Charlotte which I was very concerned about making. I was able to change it to a more favorable schedule which was close to the original itinerary but the price ended up doubling. Total bait and switch. I hate American and will not fly them in the future.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter