Anyone following any covid protocols on cruises?

RysMomma

DIS Veteran
I know this is a hot topic, and moderators, if you need to close it, I understand.

We're cruising in August and I am VERY excited! This has been originally scheduled back in March 2019 for August 2020, then it got pushed to August 2021, and now this year. It was supposed to be for my parents' 50th Anniversary but sadly, my dad passed suddenly in April 2020, but my mom still wants to go and celebrate him and all of us being together (8 of us total). Anyway, I know all the previous covid precautions that the cruise line was talking but now there seems to be none. Is anyone taking any precautions individually? Granted, in three months, anything can change, but I'm just trying to keep my family as safe as possible. Please don't bombard me with "it's just a cold" or anything like that-I lost my principal to this in the very beginning of the pandemic so I do not not need to hear that. Thanks for anyone who wants to post anything helpful!

I know this is a hot topic, and moderators, if you need to close it, I understand.

We're cruising in August and I am VERY excited! This has been originally scheduled back in March 2019 for August 2020, then it got pushed to August 2021, and now this year. It was supposed to be for my parents' 50th Anniversary but sadly, my dad passed suddenly in April 2020, but my mom still wants to go and celebrate him and all of us being together (8 of us total). Anyway, I know all the previous covid precautions that the cruise line was talking but now there seems to be none. Is anyone taking any precautions individually? Granted, in three months, anything can change, but I'm just trying to keep my family as safe as possible. Please don't bombard me with "it's just a cold" or anything like that-I lost my principal to this in the very beginning of the pandemic so I do not not need to hear that. Thanks for anyone who wants to post anything helpful!
If you want to wear a mask, you won't be judged or be the only ones. But other passengers will not be doing any kind of social distancing or that sort of thing. It's pretty much fully "back to normal" once you're onboard.

The DCL bus and port terminal in Miami required masks and most people were following the rules. Once we boarded the ship though there really were no covid protocols left. Elevators are packed, pools and hot tubs are shoulder to shoulder, theaters are every seat full, restaurants have about a foot of space between tables. I did see one couple on the ship that always wore masks and tried to be respectful about giving them space but to be honest I think it would be hard to keep a distance most places onboard as it is pretty crowded

We plan to wear masks indoors on our June cruise and avoid crowded places, when possible. I'm sure others will be doing the same and no one is going to care. Dining rooms concern me, but there is nothing I can do about that and will make personal decisions based on how I feel when we get there.

We rebooked last year to be safe. We are going in July. Most people do not mask here anymore (rural Ontario) It’s a strange feeling after two years. This is an anti vax area still no one cares if you wear a mask. We were at a Mennonite buffet lunch today and all I could see, in my mind anyway, was people leaning and breathing all over the food. We will be wearing masks on the cruise I think, but it’s still two months away. I really enjoyed “social distancing” as I have personal space issues, but I know that’s pretty much gone now. I still want the embark testing gone though as it’s stressing us out. It’s not Covid, it’s not getting on board that worries us.
Have a wonderful cruise, your Dad will be with you in spirit.

The DCL bus and port terminal in Miami required masks and most people were following the rules. Once we boarded the ship though there really were no covid protocols left. Elevators are packed, pools and hot tubs are shoulder to shoulder, theaters are every seat full, restaurants have about a foot of space between tables. I did see one couple on the ship that always wore masks and tried to be respectful about giving them space but to be honest I think it would be hard to keep a distance most places onboard as it is pretty crowded
I don’t believe this is the case anymore.

I'm cruising DCL in September and have been on an other cruise line last October.
I have been wearing FFP2 /N95 masks, whenever a mask is required or if I feel the need to wear one.
I will do the same onboard and on shore. So far I did not get covid and I want to keep it that way. FFP2 is the way to go for me. I know it keeps me safe and I don't need to worry about others wearing a mask correctly.
Inside I always mask up and outside if it is crowded.
I will not go to the buffet if it is self serve.
We always request a private table.

Other than that I will enjoy my cruise to the fullest and not worry about what my fellow passengers do/say/think.

Last edited:
I don’t believe this is the case anymore.

Depends on what Miami's regs are. If they are still requiring them on transportation and in terminals, they're required. I know in NYC while you can take the mask off once ON the aircraft if you must, they are still required in taxis and ride shares, public transportation, and in the air, bus, boat, and train terminals.

Just sailed on the Dream May 6-9. Masks not required on the busses, but we and maybe 40% of the people still wore them on the way there. Masks not required in the terminal either but plenty of people still wearing them. We saw many people still wearing masks on board. Maybe 20%? It was not crowded so it was easy to keep socially distant with or without masks. We wore ours when getting on and off or anywhere it seemed crowded. nobody gave us a second look. Just do what makes you feel comfortable and don’t worry about it.

oh, and the entire crew was wearing masks, except the captain for some reason. Maybe we just caught him at an odd moment. He did seem rushed.

Our cruise in April was the first Wonder cruise with no mask requirements indoors. We always wore ours inside (except in the dining rooms) and saw almost no one else with masks. Maybe a couple of other families. I didn’t get the impression that anyone else cared that we were wearing masks. Our next cruise is in February and I imagine we’ll still be wearing them. At the very least it will hopefully keep us from getting colds or flu.

Has anyone flown to Canada now that they still require masking and the US doesn't? Or what it's like on the Wonder out of Canada with their additional cruise rules. I was wondering how it is being handled on planes and what the cruise is like compared to reports coming out of Florida.

We plan to wear masks indoors on our June cruise and avoid crowded places, when possible. I'm sure others will be doing the same and no one is going to care. Dining rooms concern me, but there is nothing I can do about that and will make personal decisions based on how I feel when we get there.
The dining rooms are my biggest concern as well. It was a difficult decision for me to even make a booking for next year.

The dining rooms are my biggest concern as well. It was a difficult decision for me to even make a booking for next year.
I think we just have to evaluate the situation when it's time to cruise. Too hard to predict all the variables. We have sailed 4 times since re-start and we only felt uncomfortable on the last one (New Year cruise).

Has anyone flown to Canada now that they still require masking and the US doesn't? Or what it's like on the Wonder out of Canada with their additional cruise rules. I was wondering how it is being handled on planes and what the cruise is like compared to reports coming out of Florida.
It's barely started so not much news yet. The Hawaii to Vancouver cruise is on its way back and the Wonder will be back in Vancouver on Monday. I can say that masks will be required in the cruise terminal (per Transport Canada) and for covid testing prior to embarkation.

Fair enough. It was true three weeks ago—so much changes so fast these days!
Just curious was that before or after the federal/CDC change? Just to add my experience I flew to Dallas and OKC from New Orleans last week and the user above who said it was around 40/60 split for masks/no masks that was accurate for my flights as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter