Anyone from Raleigh area?

MarcyMouse

Mouseketeer
Hi all! We have decided to take the plunge and move to NC! We have lived in upstate NY all our lives, but I am so sick of winter and snow and we have been thinking about NC for years. We have family in the Raleigh area so DH will be looking for a job in the city. When we went down to visit we really liked the Clayton area of Johnston co.

I am so excited to be closer to Disney! How is the drive from the triangle area? Are you able to go often enough to make an AP worth it?

Feel free to offer any advice regarding moving!

Hi all! We have decided to take the plunge and move to NC! We have lived in upstate NY all our lives, but I am so sick of winter and snow and we have been thinking about NC for years. We have family in the Raleigh area so DH will be looking for a job in the city. When we went down to visit we really liked the Clayton area of Johnston co.

I am so excited to be closer to Disney! How is the drive from the triangle area? Are you able to go often enough to make an AP worth it?

Feel free to offer any advice regarding moving!

I 'do not' like cold - am from the deep south, and the winters here are 'plenty' cold for me! :upsidedow

It's 'still' 600 miles from Disney!! So, not that close - we 'do' get AP's every few years now, and go 3 times during that period.

We live in N. Raleigh (Wake Co.). Jobs are not really plentiful here, so depending on your dh's line of work - could take awhile!

Lots of traffic issues coming from the south of Raleigh on I-40!!

Good luck! :goodvibes

Thought you were the Marcy Mouse from the camping board - guess not!

First off, welcome to N.C. When you say upstate NY do you mean just above NYC or really upstate New York.

I was born and brought up in Plattsburgh, NY just 25 miles or so from the Canadian border. Moved with my family to Vermont when I was 15 years old. Lived there for the next 48 years before retiring and moving to just outside of Raleigh. Both my children and their families moved here also. One in Cary and one in North Raleigh.

They all came here with no jobs within the last 5 years and within a couple of weeks were all working at jobs that not only paid well but were right in their wheelhouses and everyone of them had a completely different wheelhouse.

As a retired person I looked for a part time job to occupy my time, and found one on the first try.

As for the important part, from my front door to WDW is a 10 hour drive. Not a hard drive either. I do stop for meals and just to stretch my legs and other things. :blush:

As for traffic, how you would see that would depend again on what you mean by upstate NY. It can get heavy at times, but, I have seen a lot worse (Boston comes to mind) The road conditions are very good. It does get chilly at times but I don't believe it has been below 25 degrees since I moved here 3 years ago. Snow... total accumulation in those same years just about 3 inches... pretty much gone the next day. The only thing I regret is not coming down here sooner. In those same three years the temperature has not even hit 100 degrees in the last two.

Golf every month of the year... ain't nothin wrong with that! :hyper:

By the way... Cary, NC is the ideal place for us northerners to move to because of what Cary stand for...

C ontainment
A rea for
R elocated
Y ankee's

Just a joke, of course, but, it does provide the natives with a wealth of chuckles.

Peter Panic, we really would rather keep those 'yankees' contained in Cary! ;)

Just don't move to N. Raleigh!!

I'm glad your family did not have a hard time finding employment, but trust me, the majority does 'not' find it so easy!!

OP, this summer has been exceptionally cool, with definite 'cool' days (last week) and definite 'hot' days! Season wise, it's mostly perfect for us - cannot take 'cold' - love the good ole summertime. Most summers can be hot and humid. We normally get lots of rainfall, which I love, with an occasional hurricane (which I can do without!!).

Traffic is much worse along the I-40 corridor (Cary and Johnson Co.) - not so bad north of Raleigh. Occasional bursts of traffic AM & PM.

I think you were asking about the drive to DW, correct? So from here it is between 9.5-10 hours depending how often you stop. Take 40 to 95 and then it's a straight shot. Some times we drive straight through other times we stop and stay in Savannah or Jacksonville depending on when we can leave the Raleigh area. We go almost every year and have friends who just bought AP's. They did it because they have 6 kids and homeschool, so they have a very flexible schedule. I think buying AP's just depends on how willing you are to do the drive. My friends plan is to use them 4 times during the year. They have been twice since they purchased them and so far no complaints. Welcome to the area. If you have any questions you are welcome to pm me.:goodvibes

Born and raised in Johnston County....l wouldn't live in the city for nothing! I do work in Raleigh and they are right about the traffic on I40. I can't add anything else because they have covered everything so far. We can drive to WDW in 9 hrs...we will be heading that way in 35 days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter