Anyone from Wilmington DE?

lukenick1

DIS Veteran
Hi, my son is interviewing for a job as a new college graduate and the company is hiring in Wilmington, DE. As a worried Mom can anyone tell me about the area? Safe? What neighborhoods are nice to live that have a lot of young professionals? Any insight is appreciated! We are from another state about 5 hours north so he would be going there without knowing anyone or anything.

I live close to Wilmington, about 20-30 minutes north, and have spent my fair share of time going out and about in Wilmington. Most young professionals live and hang out in the Trolley Square neighborhood, although there is plenty of affordable housing in North Wilmington and the Pike Creek area. Downtown Wilmington is like most large cities, where some places are safer than others, and you need to know where you are going, especially after dark. I'd never leave a car unlocked, valuables visible, etc... Market Street has a few fabulous restaurants, bars, and live music venues. Wilmington is close to Philly, and the airport. There is a great train station downtown with parking, and from there I have taken the train to DC and NYC. Best of luck with his interview! Happy to answer more questions if and when you think of them.

I live close to Wilmington, about 20-30 minutes north, and have spent my fair share of time going out and about in Wilmington. Most young professionals live and hang out in the Trolley Square neighborhood, although there is plenty of affordable housing in North Wilmington and the Pike Creek area. Downtown Wilmington is like most large cities, where some places are safer than others, and you need to know where you are going, especially after dark. I'd never leave a car unlocked, valuables visible, etc... Market Street has a few fabulous restaurants, bars, and live music venues. Wilmington is close to Philly, and the airport. There is a great train station downtown with parking, and from there I have taken the train to DC and NYC. Best of luck with his interview! Happy to answer more questions if and when you think of them.
Hi.....thanks, is the Trolley Square neighborhood walkable at night? How long does the train take to NYC? Thanks

Yes, Trolley Square is walkable at night. Train times are all over the place, depending on how many stops you have. Check Amtrak for the current choices :)

In addition to Trolley Square, the Riverfront area is a popular place to live. Walkable to bars and restaurants, the Blue Rocks minor league baseball team, and, depending where, downtown. Stay on the north/west side of the river, though, for walkability. In general, Wilmington city safety can vary street by street— a block or 2 can make a huge difference.
Septa (local) train is a good way to get to Philly. Same station as Amtrak.

Hi.....thanks, is the Trolley Square neighborhood walkable at night? How long does the train take to NYC? Thanks
My daughter used to take the train from Newark DE to NJ Penn station (one stop before NYC), less than 2 hours.

In addition to Trolley Square, the Riverfront area is a popular place to live. Walkable to bars and restaurants, the Blue Rocks minor league baseball team, and, depending where, downtown. Stay on the north/west side of the river, though, for walkability. In general, Wilmington city safety can vary street by street— a block or 2 can make a huge difference.
Septa (local) train is a good way to get to Philly. Same station as great
Agree

Septa (local) train is a good way to get to Philly. Same station as Amtrak.
Yes! That is a fun place to go as well. It is another place with apartment buildings geared towards young professionals. And bonus because it’s very close to the train station.

Try Christina Riverfront. Off the top of my head, there’s: Residences at Justison Landing, Residences at Harlan Flats, 101 Avenue of the Arts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter