Anyone getting worried about March Break Travel

My family and I have come back safely from WDW. Oh boy, it was quite an adventure. Here is what I can tell you.

1. All companies make reassurance and are super nice at this time. However, there is very little they can do to alter the outcome of this infection. For example, I spent a good 10 minutes wiping the seats and seat-belt buckets. Let me tell you, the wipes were black after I used them. This tells me that they have not wiped the chairs thoroughly for a long time. With 200 seats, they simply don't have 200 minutes (one minute per seat) to just wipe seats because that would take almost 4 hours to turnaround each plane.

2. There will be people coughing, probably not from COVID-19. Only about 10 out of 200 passengers wore masks. In my flight, I could hear at least 3-5 different passengers coughing from time to time. You will go crazy if you assume the worst.

3. Everyone is trying to come back to Canada at this time. There will be a long line at the airport custom. The officers are very friendly and efficient. But you may need to prepare to face over 500 people all squeezed in one waiting hall, lining up over 30 minutes to get your turn. And yes, there will be people coughing there so you need to get your masks ready if you have them.
Crazy times. We were glad to be driving home, not flying, for sure.

Safe travels to everyone making their way back from their cancelled trips. :(

We weren't going until end of April, but I just rescheduled to end of October. Too stressful wondering if we might be able to go then, if parks will open, etc. Plus didn't want to have to take ds out of school again considering they are off for another two weeks for March Break. We're bummed, but looking at the positive we've got a fully paid trip to look forward to, and I've got 6 extra months to get in shape for it!
We booked with Southwest, and their no fees for rebooking is the reason I will continue to drive to the US and use them (and free checked bags!). Also, we booked Wyndham Bonnet Creek through Vacation Strategy and there were no fees to rebook for our October trip. J ust waiting to cancel my onsite portion which I booked through AM so I can rebook the new dates.
I feel a lot less anxiety now. Come August if we're still battling this, then I'll worry, a lot more than just this trip!

DH just happens to be on vacation next week for March Break. Weather has been good here, between 0 and -3. As long as it isn't raining DD and DH will likely head down the street and shoot some hoops now that all of her sports are done for the season.

DD went to the school on her own and ended up stumbling, falling and hitting the side of her head on the steel pole of the net and splitting her elbow open. Ugh. I think she has a minor concussion and I have her elbow taped with steri strips to close it up.

I guess her week off will be very low key now.

DD went to the school on her own and ended up stumbling, falling and hitting the side of her head on the steel pole of the net and splitting her elbow open. Ugh. I think she has a minor concussion and I have her elbow taped with steri strips to close it up.

Oh man! So instead of a virus...

@momof2gr8kids We were scheduled for mid April and cancelled as well. We were so stressed thinking about what was going to happen! Glad we did, though. We were flying out of Buffalo with Southwest as well and we rescheduled for end of October too! We were really happy about how easy it was to change our flights, plus we have a credit to use later (an excuse for another trip! :P )

Ohh ugh. Poor girl.

Just got an email. Tuckers Marketplace (Ontario buffet) is closing for this time period. That's got to be a hit, but maybe their reservations have gone down, too.

A lot of companies are emailing that they're open for business and expecting best practices from their staff.

The major property management companies that own the major malls across Canada have agreed to reduce mall hours to 11-7 weekdays and shorter on weekends [12-5 I think?]. Stores are allowed to have longer hours, but many are shortening their hours as well. e.g. our local Staples which is in a box store style outdoor mall has changed it hours to the 11-7 model.

Walmart in the US has announced a nationwide, all stores, change in store hours to a standardized set of hours and no longer 24/7.

I expect in the coming days we will see a lot of stores voluntarily announcing similar reductions/limitations in hours, and some closing outright at least for the next X weeks. Likely restaurants as well.

Of course, government action in the next while may supercede all of that if we end up going the way of France or Italy.

One practical thing I did think of watching the news about France's closure of restaurants etc last night is what happens to the tourists who are stuck there if all the restaurants are closed ? Where will they get food as they will likely have limited means to prepare anything even if they could go to grocery stores. Another practicality behind the government of Canada's advice for Canadians to return home now while possible -- it isn;t just that commercial transportation may become unavailable, but there are other practicalities that may create problems as well.

Ottawa is closing Libraries, Museums and pools/city facilities for 3 weeks. There are going to be a lot of children with little to do! Any ideas for how to keep a kid busy for 3 weeks without relying on electronics or our usual activities?

Ottawa has a lot of nice conversation areas with walking trails. Even if you did one a day you may not run out by the end of the three weeks.

Also:

The Log Farm Sugar Bush
www.thelogfarm.com

I think some countries locked down their public parks as well? Am now wondering if even going on local hikes is a good idea.

Want to do the responsible thing. Just not sure what that is anymore. What about having a friend over for dinner? What about a walk in the park?

Trying to read up more about lockdowns in other countries and best practices.

We let our kids play outside (riding their bikes, play in the backyard). We allow them to play outside with one friend each (usually it's the same one). They wash their hands before going outside and again when they enter the house. My kids are old enough to understand not to hug their friends right now and to keep their distance.

I work in a hospital (research) and we just received an e-mail that access to the hospitals will be restricted and only a few entrances will be opened starting Monday. We will need our employee ID card to enter and all our meetings are cancelled.

Any referral for a place to stay at Crystal beach?
Off the top of my head I'm drawing a blank. Crystal beach is a nice area. It's in the town of Fort Erie. Buffalo NY is just over the peach bridge . about 20 miles away is Niagara falls, Ontario. A beautiful community called Niagara on the lake.

I think some countries locked down their public parks as well? Am now wondering if even going on local hikes is a good idea.

Want to do the responsible thing. Just not sure what that is anymore. What about having a friend over for dinner? What about a walk in the park?

Trying to read up more about lockdowns in other countries and best practices.

Unless the hiking trails are packed with people get out and enjoy the fresh air. If you come across others just keep your distance. Remember droplets can only go max 6 feet. You would have to be walking past someone who's infected at the same moment they cough or sneeze and be within 6 feet to be concerned.

Enjoy the hiking trails or a walk through the park but, maybe, don't lick the swings or the slide. :P

I'm having two girlfriends over on Wednesday for our monthly breakfast. We usually go out to a local restaurant but I thought this would be a safer alternative given... Having a friend over for dinner is a great way to keep being social but limiting the risk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter