anyone gotten Monty's revenge in Cozumel?

mtquinn

DIS Veteran
We are heading on a five night Western on the Wonder this weekend, and I remember good olé Montezuma very well from past spring breaks. Ugh.

I see so many great excursion posts, most involving their lunch or drinks served, and I wonder if anyone had an issue with this? I've always been told to NEVER eat or drink off the resort/boat, but everyone seems to be ok eating whatever lunch or drink they serve when on an excursion.

Is it safe? If so, how?

What I have read more recently is just don't eat fresh fruits or vegetables. Eat only cooked ones.

We have eaten on a few excursions and lunches at beach resort excursions and never had a problem.

MJ

So what about excursions with water activities? Do you have to worry about snorkeling or anything? I feel this is a silly question, but I really have no idea. I have heard that people have been told by their hotel not to get the water from their shower in their mouths because they could get it.

In Cozumel, we brought bottled water on our excursion and then went to lunch at Senor Frogs. Tequila kills the germs. :)

If you're snorkeling, you'll be in the ocean so no problems there. We had stops in Cozumel, Cabo and Puerta Vallarta and never had any problems. We just didn't drink any non-bottled water, mostly alcoholic drinks; bottled beer, rum punch, etc. They also had canned sodas which should be fine. Our excursions provided food and it was all delicious with no lingering after-effects.

We've been to Cozumel 3x and always eat and drink there- have never had any problems...and I have a weak stomach.

yes....I was so careful drinking only bottled water and then....ate fresh salsa. Ten days of meds followed...:guilty:

I think it depends on what you are consuming...ice/water at resorts tends to be safe now days. Fresh fruit? Depends on if was washed first...

Now, I HAVE gotten very, very sick recently on eggs. It took 9 days to figure it out...and after talking to other resort guests, we narrowed it down to the eggs, then we asked about the eggs...they did not refrigerate them! Ack. 5 days later I was fine. (This was at a very high end, American-branded resort in Costa Rica, too, so I was shocked by this practice)

I have gone to Mr. Sancho's 3 times. Every time I eat pico, guac, etc. I have never been sick. I never really thought about the pico or the guac posing a problem.

Now, I HAVE gotten very, very sick recently on eggs. It took 9 days to figure it out...and after talking to other resort guests, we narrowed it down to the eggs, then we asked about the eggs...they did not refrigerate them! Ack. 5 days later I was fine. (This was at a very high end, American-branded resort in Costa Rica, too, so I was shocked by this practice)

Just an FYI, pretty much only in the US does anyone store eggs in a refrigerator, because our eggs have a much higher risk of salmonella. I'm not saying the eggs didn't cause your sickness, I'm just saying that not refrigerating eggs is a very common practice (outside the US) that usually doesn't cause a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter