anyone had a kidney stone blockage

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
DH just found out he has a kidney stone thats blocking I think they said kidney--hes had stone for many years so this comes as no surprise
anyways he went for a scan which showed the blockage on tues today is sun and his dr didnt get back to him it was a NP who called to say he should go to ER
at first DH didnt want to go cause he feels fine but he does know theres a stone floating around
but today like I said sun the NP calls early this morning to say again he should go to ER but to call a number she gave him is he has any questions
which he did the person said you could try going to urgeant care and at least be seen and get your questions answered which was part of the problem the NP didnt say much more then go to the ER

so when all is said and done he has a kidney stone thats blocking the urine but like the dr explained you have 2 kidneys so the other is basically working harder which isnt good either
so wed we see a dr and thrus hes having it taken out
which leads to my questions
did anyone have this done
how do they do this
actually any advice or tips would be very helpful
thanks

• Sad
Reactions: GAN
When I feel a kidney stone coming on I get on the treadmill and slowly walk while drinking a ton of water.Get things moving and flushed out.Good luck to your husband-they're awful.

I had a kidney stone many years ago and luckily it passed before they got to the surgical option. As Owlpost23 said, drink lots of water

My husband had a stone that he was unable to pass. His was very painful. They gave him iv fluids hoping it would pass, but it was too large. They had to pulverize it. I believe they use a lazer of some sort. It was done under general anesthesia.

I’ve had multiple kidney stones. So incredibly painful! The first set passed on their own. I needed surgery for the second go-round as there was one too large to pass. I was put under for the surgery but went home later that day. its been a few years now but I believe they used “sound waves” (lithotripsy) to break up the large stone into smaller pieces that I was able to pass over the next few days. Recovery wasn’t too bad. I drank a lot of water and was prescribed Flomax to help pass them.

PS. I developed kidney stones in my late 50s. Turns out this is a common symptom of hyperparathyroidism, a benign growth on a parathyroid, one of four glands that control calcium in your body. Basically, the tumors elevated my PTH which told my body I needed more calcium so it pulled calcium from my bones and put it into my bloodstream. Kidneys worked harder to try to flush the elevated levels, stones developed and my kidneys were damaged. I had the growth removed surgically and haven’t had another kidney stone. Testing can be done with blood tests for calcium levels (should be in the 9s) and parathyroid hormone (PTH should be less than 50). This condition must be treated. I had elevated calcium for so many years that I developed the kidney stones and osteoporosis. My surgeon said I would have died of kidney disease in about 5 years if I hadn’t had the growth removed. After treatment my osteoporosis is also gone. If your husband has developed kidney stones later in life make sure he gets tested for hyperparathyroidism.

I remember my father having one that was too big to pass on its own. So they used lithotripsy to break it up. That was quite a few years back now, so it may not be the current preferred method.

He just a slight discomfort on the left side and absolutely no problem peeing. We talked to the dr cause we figured this was a good sign but the dr said you have 2 kidneys so the other one is doing the work now. We’ll both be glad when it’s over. Thanks and happy new year

I had one the size of a popped piece of popcorn when I was pregnant. Two weeks after I had her, they went through my back into my kidney and pulled it out.

I would wish this on Noone!

DH just found out he has a kidney stone thats blocking I think they said kidney--hes had stone for many years so this comes as no surprise
anyways he went for a scan which showed the blockage on tues today is sun and his dr didnt get back to him it was a NP who called to say he should go to ER
at first DH didnt want to go cause he feels fine but he does know theres a stone floating around
but today like I said sun the NP calls early this morning to say again he should go to ER but to call a number she gave him is he has any questions
which he did the person said you could try going to urgeant care and at least be seen and get your questions answered which was part of the problem the NP didnt say much more then go to the ER

so when all is said and done he has a kidney stone thats blocking the urine but like the dr explained you have 2 kidneys so the other is basically working harder which isnt good either
how do they do this
thanks
In the shower run hot, not warm but hot water on the effected area. This can expand the ureter and allow the stone to reach the bladder. Instant pain relief.

Some stones are just too big to pass naturally. I actually had no pain with mine that was too big, but I knew something was off and a test showed blood in the urine. An MRI confirmed a (too) large stone blocking one kidney. DH needs to get to a urologist pronto. I still have fallout from the damage done to my kidneys. This isn’t a DIY project.

I’ve had kidney problems most of my life. I’m surprised he isn’t in more pain. Stones can come out on their own but it can take awhile. Lithotripsy is also an option.

DH had this happen this past summer; the largest stone was cone-shaped and kept bouncing in & out of the top of the tube, so that sometimes he would feel absolutely fine, and other times miserable, depending on where it bounced -- until it bounced and stuck and sent him into the ER. He also had some stones on the other side. They tried lithotripsy and it failed twice, because he did have some breakage, but, it turned out, just enough to make the blockage worse, finally ending up with the kidneys blocked simultaneously on both sides. He underwent ultrasound-guided emergency stent-placement surgery twice over the course of 8 weeks; on one occasion so urgently that his stent surgery skipped the day's queue over victims of heart attacks and strokes. He had stents on first one kidney and then both, for a total of 12 weeks altogether before the stones were gotten fully under control with laser treatments.

I don't want to be Debby Downer but don't let your DH kid himself that this isn't potentially very serious. Kidney stones can indeed prove fatal if they are the wrong size and/or in the wrong place, and as I witnessed first-hand; it's possible for a kidney stone situation to go from merely uncomfortable to life-threatening in less than an hour. If the doc says he needs immediate emergency treatment &/or hospitalization, trust that he does.

(DH, it turns out, is what is known as a stone-former; someone whose body forms calcium stones much more quickly and agressively than normal, and tends to also build larger high-density stones. He has had to radically change his eating habits to limit certain foods such as certain cruciferous veggies, tree nuts and potatoes, up consumption of dairy, and coordinate high consumption of calcium simultaneously with any vegetables containing oxalate compounds, so as to protect against stone formation; he also gave up tea and now drinks massive amounts of water and lemonade. His residual stone count has been holding steady since the dietary changes, and he's feeling much healthier now.)

Last edited:

how do they do this
thanks
I had that and the blockage was where the kidney drains into the bladder. I had to have surgery to get it out of there and in the meantime, I'd say a couple of days, I had no real sharp pain, just a serious ache. The kidney on that side continued to work and caused the tube to expand and even the Kidney to swell. It caused permanent damage to my Kidney, not serious but it is not functioning like it once did, however the biggest fear one might have is if that stone is staying in one spot it can get infected and cause Sepsis. Trust me that is one thing you don't want, it has killed many people and almost did me. If they suggested that he go to the ER then they see something that is a real danger and I suggest that he get there yesterday. This stuff can get real serious, real quick.

It depends on the immediate seriousness of it. Initially they put a stint in so that the kidney could get the liquid to pass out, then once that settled down they went in via the urethra and broke up the stone and vacuumed it out. Not to worry they put one out cold to do that. I didn't get sepsis from that one, it was from the next one I had which also became a blockage, so it can happen at anytime.

f they suggested that he go to the ER then they see something that is a real danger
If I'm honest, I'm thinking the same. I wouldn't question whether the ER is the right choice, he should probably not wait.

how do they do this
thanks
My dad used to get those
back then he had to just pass them,
drink cranberry juice
and well lots of Tylenol and Advil

i feel for him

My dad used to get those
back then he had to just pass them,
drink cranberry juice
and well lots of Tylenol and Advil

i feel for him
That is the way it usually works probably 90% of the time, but the first one I had was 10mm across and it wasn't moving anyplace, it had to be removed manually, but first they had to take the pressure off the kidney and used a stint to bypass the stone and allow the kidney and the Ureter time to become a little less inflamed. So they left the stint in for a week and then I went back that they surgically removed it by breaking it up into about 5 pieces. They put it in a small plastic vile and asked me if I wanted to keep it since it was the largest they had ever seen. I told them no, they could keep it, I didn't have a mantle to display it on anyway. :confused3 :)

Last edited:
That is the way it usually works probably 90% of the time, but the first one I had was 10mm across and it wasn't moving anyplace, it had to be removed manually, but first they had to take the pressure off the kidney and used a stint to bypass the stone and allow the kidney and the Ureter time to become a little less inflamed. So they left the stint in for a week and then I went back that they surgically removed it by breaking it up into about 5 pieces. They put it in a small plastic vile and asked me if I wanted to keep it since it was the largest they had ever seen. I told them no, they could keep it, I didn't have mantle to display it on anyway. :confused3 :)
Closes thing I ever heard to a man giving birth….

that hole was not designed to pass solids out

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter