Anyone had an older child self-advocate for GAC

Tiiiigergirl

<font color=red>Had to be rolled out of the restau
I know this is always a tricky subject here anyway but basically this is just ADA law and for higher functioning children that we want to make as independent as possible the goal is self-advocacy. At least it is for me.

I have taught my son that his autism and TS is nothing to ashamed of and if he needs to have an accommodation to help him out then he needs to ask in a polite but dignified manner. He doesn't need to do it in any kind of snotty or angry way but he does have an obligation to A. learn about his disability and try to do everything he can and work as hard as he can, B. learn about the disability laws from a layman perspective, C. be polite when asking, D. be persistent in explaining his position and E. ask for help when necessary (get mom).

My husband has a learning disability. I have my slew of mobility disabilities and he has his. We are a unique and loving family. Our family motto is: Direction Not Speed. We figure as long as we are moving and moving forward then we are doing OK.

So has anyone had any experience, positive or negative with having their child do their own advocating for their own GAC. We would be right there and of course role play before we left home giving him all possible outcomes. Just kind of wondered.

Go for our kids!!!!:cheer2:

My DD is not capable of doing her own advocacy, but I think it could be a very positive step for some kids.
I think it will be interesting to see what people post.

I love your attitude and plan. You are a wonderful mother and have the right attitude. I took an adult to Disneyland recently and I explained to him how to get a GAC for him based on his needs and walked him through the process. I think you should definitely let him try to get the GAC on his own.

I wish I could send you a big box of chocolates and 100 hershey's hugs.
Way to go. :thumbsup2 :)
hugs
LAuriepixiedust: :grouphug: :cheer2:

I know this is always a tricky subject here anyway but basically this is just ADA law and for higher functioning children that we want to make as independent as possible the goal is self-advocacy. At least it is for me.

I have taught my son that his autism and TS is nothing to ashamed of and if he needs to have an accommodation to help him out then he needs to ask in a polite but dignified manner. He doesn't need to do it in any kind of snotty or angry way but he does have an obligation to A. learn about his disability and try to do everything he can and work as hard as he can, B. learn about the disability laws from a layman perspective, C. be polite when asking, D. be persistent in explaining his position and E. ask for help when necessary (get mom).

My husband has a learning disability. I have my slew of mobility disabilities and he has his. We are a unique and loving family. Our family motto is: Direction Not Speed. We figure as long as we are moving and moving forward then we are doing OK.

So has anyone had any experience, positive or negative with having their child do their own advocating for their own GAC. We would be right there and of course role play before we left home giving him all possible outcomes. Just kind of wondered.

Go for our kids!!!!:cheer2:

I love it - you are truly a gifted mom! I work with students with special needs (I hate that title, as we all are special and we all have needs) and most of my day can be filled with trying to get students to advocate for themselves and to get them to step beyond the idea that they can't do something because 'they are disabled'. I wish all the moms and dads out there were more like you!

Wow. That is awesome. Sounds like you have overcome a major hurdle already!

I say, go for it! He will learn so much from that...and you will be there...and one day, when you are not, he will have some experience under his belt!

Kudos to you and your whole family! You get two thumbs up! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

It is great that you have given your child the support and information to allow him to be “self aware” of his neurovariation, this is the greatest gift (other than your love) that you can bestow. I cannot think of any better place than WDW for him to try self-advocating.

bookwormde

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter