Anyone have a bed with built in drawers underneath?

Frwinkley

DIS Veteran
Since we are in the process of downsizing, we are considering one. If you have one, do you like it? Do things stay clean? Anything I should consider?

Back then it was called a captain’s bed and both of my children had one. One was actually the first bed of my younger son because my then husband built an oversized nightstand (more storage drawers) placed it on one end and then built a railing around the remaining sides so that it was a crib. Both beds held twin sized mattresses and remained in place until they left my residence.

I found them practical and ageless pieces of furniture that I see no reason to not reconfigure for adults.

There were several considerations I remember about them. One was if the drawers can be easily opened given their size, location in the room and the placement of other furniture and items. Another was the size of the drawers and how heavy they can become when full. Lastly, the type of flooring they will be on, and how that might affect the ease of opening ones using wheels or rollers.

We have the Ikea day bed that has them. I like them as this bed is used for guests and storage of large bulky bedding.. When the kids were little that is where I tossed their play outfits, costumes in for play...

Me personally I cant see me putting clothes in there for daily used. Kinda a low bend to get stuff out .. more for stuff you dont know where to put or like us bedding as we lack linen closet storage.
it stay relativiely clean in there. maybe a spring cleaning deep vacuum session.

For little kids I find them great to toss toys ( in our case costumes, princess dresses and accessories) as it's ground level for them and easy to toss and push away.

The only issue is to be sure you have enough room on both sides of it to actually open the draws

Also if you have cats they always seem to be able to get into them.

Also if you have cats they always seem to be able to get into them.

YES! i remember when my brother's house cat hopped into one of the drawers he had opened and slipped over the back of it (theres not much space but enough for it to happen)-he spent so much time trying to get it out b/c it also was moving around and got in the spaces between the drawers and the perimeter walls so when he would try to pull one out it would yowl and he was afraid to open it and cause injury. called it 'the cat maze' after that-and he always diid an inspection of the room to make sure the cat was not present before he would pull a drawer open.

My daughters has a bed with drawers. The extra storage is nice.

The downside is the difficulty of cleaning under the bed (she has carpet, no way to fit a vacuum under there easily, hard floors that you could just use a swiffer would be way easier). Her bed is also extremely heavy. She would like to be able to move her furniture around when she gets a whim, but the bed isn’t moving. I don’t know if it’s just the one we have or if all beds with drawers are that heavy.

Our kids had beds with drawers when they were growing up. It was great for keeping toys and books off the floor in their rooms.

Great for storage, but your mattress will definitely feel different and may wear out more quickly. If you have a high end eight way hand tied box spring (not so common these days) you may not like the feel as they are made to work together. If you have a "foundation" which is different than a box spring and it is saggy, you might actually like the feel of being on a harder surface.

The only way to know what it will feel like is to move your mattress onto a bare floor and give it a test drive. Good luck!

Great for storage, but your mattress will definitely feel different and may wear out more quickly. If you have a high end eight way hand tied box spring (not so common these days) you may not like the feel as they are made to work together. If you have a "foundation" which is different than a box spring and it is saggy, you might actually like the feel of being on a harder surface.

The only way to know what it will feel like is to move your mattress onto a bare floor and give it a test drive. Good luck!
OP here: I hadn't even thought about how our mattress would feel! Good tip!

My bed has 4 big drawers underneath. That's where I store the extra linen and beddings. I have slats but I got a piece of plywood to put on top as I like a firm mattress.

This is a pic of our bed. Queen with two drawers on each side. They don't put three drawers because most folks will have night stands on both sides of the bed. It has a solid base, and have a thick mattress, so no boxspring needed. We use it for winter items mostly, mittens, gloves, hats (when we got our new bedroom set, we got rid of our hope chest, so we use the drawers as replacement). I only currently have one of my drawers filled, the other is empty at the moment. (The rest of the new furniture was good size, and I fit everything in my dresser.) Love the added storage.
1705411889985.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter