Anyone have a cat who is Feline Leukemia + ?

Mermaid02

DIS Veteran
Will be getting a rescue kitty soon and there is one who is leukemia positive. I'm going to speak with the rescue and vet of course- but thought I'd ask for any personal experiences you might have.

Years ago, when we just had one cat, we had picked out a kitten to add to the family, and then found out he was feline leukemia positive. The vet recommended he not be placed in a home with another cat, so my in-laws took him instead. He lived a happy life with them, but not as long as a typical cat.

Definitely wouldn’t suggest it with other cats in the home!

As an only cat, it’s a different scenario.

My cat died of leukemia at age three, many years ago. We were told not to adopt another cat for quite a while after she passed away, but I forget how long they said to wait. Honestly, we didn't wait that long, and our next cat lived until age 13, no problems. Just my experience.

I work at a shelter and recommendations on FIV cats has changed. FIV can only be passed from one cat to another from a bite wound, which is rare in house cats. We have had many FIV cats adopted out who have lived long lives and with other cats.Thank you for adopting this special kitty....

I work at a shelter and recommendations on FIV cats has changed. FIV can only be passed from one cat to another from a bite wound, which is rare in house cats. We have had many FIV cats adopted out who have lived long lives and with other cats.Thank you for adopting this special kitty....
FIV and FeLV are different diseases.

We took in 4 feral kittens, one of which was FeLV positive. Her 3 other siblings did not. Very odd, but retesting came back with the same results. We weren't able to keep her separated from the other cats, but even with their constant contact none of the others contracted the disease. She died when she was 4. The other 3 lived well into their teen years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter