Anyone have a child that can’t stand/can’t stand well - how do they show height for rides with height requirements?

mommy2paisley

DIS Veteran
My daughter is 2/will be 3 the last day of our trip, and she has Down syndrome. She just started walking, and doesn’t understand to stand up right for measuring height, but she will definitely be tall enough for Goofy’s Barnstormer ride. I know there are people who are in wheelchairs and can’t walk/stand, etc., so how does Disney determine height for this?

On our last trip the CMs at Aliens allowed my husband to help our son stand for the few seconds it took to get his height. He was a little over, so did not have to stand exactly straight to get his head to touch the marker.

Be sure you know her height before you go so you're not putting extra work in- My son couldn't stand until he was three, and it was really stressful trying to get him upright then to figure out that he was really too short.

As a random other note, if you are not using a custom chair and she does not sit well, try to put her with the skinniest adult when there is a lap bar and the child is required to be on the seat and not in your arms. I did not realize the importance of that one until after a very unpleasant experience.

Be sure you know her height before you go so you're not putting extra work in- My son couldn't stand until he was three, and it was really stressful trying to get him upright then to figure out that he was really too short.

As a random other note, if you are not using a custom chair and she does not sit well, try to put her with the skinniest adult when there is a lap bar and the child is required to be on the seat and not in your arms. I did not realize the importance of that one until after a very unpleasant experience.
Thank you for that! She sits very well, and should be able to hold on/brace like her siblings have, if she will. Lol We still haven’t decided if we want her to try Barnstormer just yet, but we know she’d love it if she did it!! Just worry about her being so small! She is definitely 36 inches though, so we’ll see when we get there!

Also, at that age they take things literally so when I said look up (from her looking down) she literally looked up to the sky. She watches freeze dance videos so I told her to freeze and that worked somewhat. I physically had to move her feet together and back against the wall and hold her head back and the measuring stick myself (at the pediatrician). Not sure if looking at a screen would keep her more still. Once we know the height we just keep remeasuring at WDW and most CMs are understanding and can see that she is not standing straight. Do prepare for the occasional impatient CM though.

Also, have an extra pair of shoes. Our DD lost her shoe (expensive Billy shoes that are high top and she still managed to lose one) at Toy Story land and the nearest place we could get one was all the way at the front of the park. There are no shoes at Galaxy’s Edge or Toy Story Land (shocking and was time consuming to walk around as one CM said they might). I think I did see some clogs at the stand near the MMRR exit. They refused to let her go to AlienSS. Child is required to physically walk and sit side by side. We carried her in our Colugo Carrier at TSMM (she was 3) and let through.

Last edited:
Also, at that age they take things literally so when I said look up (from her looking down) she literally looked up to the sky. She watches freeze dance videos so I told her to freeze and that worked somewhat. I physically had to move her feet together and back against the wall and hold her head back and the measuring stick myself (at the pediatrician). Not sure if looking at a screen would keep her more still. Once we know the height we just keep remeasuring at WDW and most CMs are understanding and can see that she is not standing straight. Do prepare for the occasional impatient CM though.

Also, have an extra pair of shoes. Our DD lost her shoe (expensive Billy shoes that are high top and she still managed to lose one) at Toy Story land and the nearest place we could get one was all the way at the front of the park. There are no shoes at Galaxy’s Edge or Toy Story Land (shocking and was time consuming to walk around as one CM said they might). I think I did see some clogs at the stand near the MMRR exit. They refused to let her go to AlienSS. Child is required to physically walk and sit side by side. We carried her in our Colugo Carrier at TSMM (she was 3) and let through.
I will likely always have her sandals and tennis shoes for her! Thanks for that info as well!!

They refused to let her go to AlienSS. Child is required to physically walk and sit side by side.
My son could not walk, stand, or sit independently on our last trip and they still let him on. We assisted him when standing for height measurement and then carried him in and they never asked if he could walk or sit. We did squish him in-between us and hold on to him because he had to sit in the seat. He can now sit and stand independently for a few minutes (though we will still assist him for the height check because he falls over easily and will be on concrete), but still cannot walk, so hoping we don't have an issue this time.

My son could not walk, stand, or sit independently on our last trip and they still let him on. We assisted him when standing for height measurement and then carried him in and they never asked if he could walk or sit. We did squish him in-between us and hold on to him because he had to sit in the seat. He can now sit and stand independently for a few minutes (though we will still assist him for the height check because he falls over easily and will be on concrete), but still cannot walk, so hoping we don't have an issue this time.
When was your last trip? Ours was Oct 2023 (but the trip with the issue was Dec 2022). We specifically asked if we could carry her to the ride. CM said we could not carry her she has to be able to walk to the ride and needs to be wearing shoes.

Maybe it was a slip up and they accidentally allowed him? Or maybe your son as allowed because he was wearing shoes which is a more stricter requirement. She was not DAS at that time so maybe they allowed some accommodations for disabilities?

Last edited:
I bet it was the shoes.
I ended up with a one-shoed kid one time. I really can't remember how that came to be but I think it might have snapped. (It was a sandal) And I'll say the world has absolutely no patience for an 11-year-old boy with one shoe on.

When was your last trip? Ours was Oct 2023 (but the trip with the issue was Dec 2022). We specifically asked if we could carry her to the ride. CM said we could not carry her she has to be able to walk to the ride and needs to be wearing shoes.

Maybe it was a slip up and they accidentally allowed him? Or maybe your son as allowed because he was wearing shoes which is a more stricter requirement. She was not DAS at that time so maybe they allowed some accommodations for disabilities?
Nov/Dec 2023. Yes he was wearing Mickey Crocs because he had to stand for the height check. Not sure if that was the difference, but I was just surprised to hear your experience and hoping it wasn't a new rule or something so that he can ride again this trip.

Nov/Dec 2023. Yes he was wearing Mickey Crocs because he had to stand for the height check. Not sure what the difference was, but I was just surprised to hear your experience and hoping it wasn't a new rule or something so that he can ride again this trip.
Then it’s just the must be wearing shoes rule. It’s good to know that walking wasn’t a must, the CM must have just misspoken.

I can absolutely see the shoes being required for safety. They absolutely let those who are dependent for transfers ride so not sure carrying someone would be prohibited?? Unless there's something I'm not understanding 🤷‍♀️

I can absolutely see the shoes being required for safety. They absolutely let those who are dependent for transfers ride so not sure carrying someone would be prohibited?? Unless there's something I'm not understanding 🤷‍♀️
I agree on the shoes. Most theme parks it is no shoes no ride. It is not the walking it standing but without shoes no ride

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter