Anyone have a DH who fixes washers and dryers??

C.Ann

<font color=green>We'll remember when...<br><font
Before I heave this apt. size dryer out the door I'd like to be sure the problem isn't something that can be fixed.

When I press the button to start it, it makes this noise, but the drum won't spin.. Son-in-law didn't bother to take it apart - just said the engine was frozen or burnt out - but I'm wondering if it could be off the rollers, the belt slipped, or whatever.. I'm not adverse to taking it apart myself (heck, I'm just going to throw it out anyhow - and it wouldn't be the FIRST time I took a dryer apart and fixed it) but was wondering if maybe someones DH could tell me if there's a possibility that it's something I could fix myself..

Thanks in advance!;)

Always look at the belt, if it makes noise, the motor is working.

Our dryer did the exact same thing last week. It was the belt.
We replaced it for $9.00. It works fine now.

Thanks all! I PMed Mark but I have to tell you - if it turns out that all I need is a $9 belt and my SIL wanted me to throw the thing out because he obviously thinks I have an orchard of money trees out back, I'm gonna kick his sorry little butt!!!!!!

LOL;)

DH who fixes washers and dryers, says check the belt first, it may be off or it could be broken.... if that is not the case, its probably the door switch. Then you'll have to call a repairman to fix that. Hope this helps.... good luck! :D

It sounds like 1 of 2 things:
1. belt is broken
2. sensor (can't remember the technical name) gone bad

It seems like some dryers have fuses too, but I might've dreamt that.

Can you go to the manufacturers website and ask the helpdesk some more suggestions?

Well I just got out my trusty little tool kit and took the top of the dryer off - and guess what? NO BELT!! Looks pretty obvious to me that it snapped and fell down below..

That boy is gonna be in SOOOOOOOOOOO much trouble!

Guess I'll call around tomorrow and see where I can get a belt locally..

Thanks all! This hanging clothes all around the house on hangers (and then having to iron everything ) is for the birds!! LOL

You can get a belt locally at Sears, (depending if they carry your brand), or another appliance store.

(Not Best Buy, they don't have it.) When our belt snapped in our old washer, we wound up calling Sears and getting a belt there. I'm not sure if DH went to the store, or the parts distibution store (both of which in the same town)

Tell your BIL he owes you BIG TIME!!!!

Do you just want help from DHs, or can women reply if they know the answer on their own? How about the men themselves?

Originally posted by DocRafiki
Do you just want help from DHs, or can women reply if they know the answer on their own? How about the men themselves?
-------------------------

Cute! I'll take answers from ANYONE- because obviously my son-in-law didn't have the RIGHT one - LOL!!

Originally posted by C.Ann
Well I just got out my trusty little tool kit and took the top of the dryer off - and guess what? NO BELT!!

Now how in the world did you expect SIL to know that a belt was supposed to be in there? ROFL, there was no belt in there before....after it broke I mean, LOL.
Men, can't live with them, can't live without them, LOL.

Smart alecs. :p

Ann, sorry I wasn't fast enough on the reply, sounds like you've got it already, but I would ask something you should look at too. There are two rollers near the back that the basket rests on, you need to look at those too, if one is bad the basket will drop down and the belt will run off the back of the drum. I ask this because you mentioned in the pm to me that it had a clunking noise when it did run, and that is a typical symptom of a bad roller.

You will find such parts at a Sears service center, or, there are places that sell parts for multiple brands of household equipment(washers, dryers, vacuums, etc.), just pull out the phone book. :)

Originally posted by C.Ann

When I press the button to start it, it makes this noise, but the drum won't spin..

mine did this once... it had a bird in it :eek:

before going for the belt check the rollers...you might want to replace them while you have the dryer apart, I recently did this,, the repair kit including belt, rollers ,and tension pulley,, was about 5 dollars more than just the belt......

also while you have it apart vacuum the whole thing out and it will run more efficiently

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter