Anyone have or have had African Dwarf frogs?

Grim_Grinning_Girl

DIS Veteran
Hello, I received two African Dwarf Frogs as a Christmas gift. Yes from Brookstone and no, I will not be following their instructions!

Just wondering if anyone here currently has or has kept A.D.F. frogs in the past? Please post because I have a few questions about feeding and care :) . I've learned a lot online :surfweb: but I would still like to ask experienced owners, thanks!

What instructions are you not following? I've never heard of them. :confused3 At our preschool (where I teach) we've had ants, tadpoles, praying mantises, sea monkies, butterflies, silk worms, and walking sticks. Never had African Dwarf frogs. :rotfl: Have any pictures?

What instructions are you not following? I've never heard of them. :confused3 At our preschool (where I teach) we've had ants, tadpoles, praying mantises, sea monkies, butterflies, silk worms, and walking sticks. Never had African Dwarf frogs. :rotfl: Have any pictures?

I think it's one of these things.

I think it's one of these things.

Yeah that's them :yay:. But for anyone reading if you happen to buy the frogs from Brookstone, or any pet store be sure to do care research right away so you are more familiar with their likes and dislikes.

I'll post and respond a little later when I can sit down and type more, still fiddling around with them. My friend also bought some for herself and son to take care of, but she's a pretty busy person and not as patient as me so I'm concerned for her frogs. I'm actually going over today to have a look at them because she says she's noticed a change in their behavior.

Wow, sounds like you have everything but African Dwarf Frogs! Well the care guide that comes with the Brookstone Store Frog-O-Sphere basically says: You only need to change the water twice a year because the sphere itself is living and will clean itself. You only need to feed each frog (two come with the kit) 2 provided pellets twice a week. When changing water use only bottled water and keep the temperature at room temperature.

Just about all my research and info online horrible contradicts every bit of Brookstone info! They need more food and a variety of stuff, water temp needs to be between 70 and 80 degrees, water in a place without proper filtration needs to be changed about once a week or more depending on how dirty it is, the store tank is too too small for two frogs, and bottle water may contain harmful additives.

Oh man, they are horrible (I mean the "care" guide that these places provide). ADF are the new Betta. You are doing right by them, make sure you find a good forum for them and follow their information. :) We had a couple a long time ago, we had them in our 75 gallon freshwater planted tank, they liked it but they disappeared a while back. We are pretty sure our red tailed black shark decided they would make a good snack. :( We were told they'd be fine because the shark was small but we don't think so......They will be ok with water for a while but you have to change it more then twice a year, and you do need to feed them more then what they "provide" for you, those pellets are not going to keep your frogs alive. I just hate it when companies decide to make these little aquascapes available but don't provide good instructions for care......grrrrrr

But, you rock so I know they will thrive under your care. :)

We have 2 at our home ~ got them at the summer fair last year, I feed them 5 pellets per day and change their water every other week, I use tap water that I let sit for at least 12 hours before changing, I also save some of their old water - the girl who sold us the frogs suggested that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter