• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone have (or still even use) blank cassettes?

MetalMasterC

Aura of Misfortune
OK, I know this is a fiarly odd thing to collect, but just as sure as some collect rocks, coins, stamps, baseball cards and comics (Actually, comics I do collect, usually Robin or any X-Men featuring Gambit), I collect blank cassette tapes.

I also know I have found other people who do as well, so I know I'm not alone. I usually try to find older cassettes from around 1993 and older on eBay. eBay is where I have 95% of all my blanks. I have well over 150 blanks, still sealed in original packaging. If you go to my website, I have some pictures listed.

I was wondering (2 questions), does anyone still use blank cassettes anymore?
AND
Does anyone have any to get rid of or sell? It'd be cool to add to my collection.

Rocks are interesting, coins have histories, stamps memorialize things, etc....but what on EARTH could possibly bring joy in collecting blank audio cassettes?

I don't mean to criticize, I'm just trying to COMPREHEND.

I don't have any still in their original packaging, but I'm sure my husband, an audio engineer (who has batteries in the garage that I'm sure are 20 yrs old) probably has a few. But I doubt he'd part with them.

Well, here's how I see it Pebblszzz:

Coins have history, only some people care;
Stamps memoralize things, but only if they are told it does
Rocks are interesting, only to some people

People have their vices, interests, and instances that make them happy. Like I said, I'm not the only one who collects them. I've met about 4 others, from different countries who do like me. I talk to them as often as I could. So basically, it's not JUST a matter of interest or joy, but it's about meeting people who share the same thoughts or interests as you or at least know what you are talking about when you talk about "formulation" and things of that nature.

It's the same mentality of, for example, a guy who has a foot fetish. Seriously, does that make him wierd? No, not really, but it's not the norms of society. Normal is what you make of it. To each his/her own. If you collect pez dispensers, that's your perogitive, as for me, I collect blank cassettes. Both age.

Just realize, this is not an attack, just my honest opinion about what I like, and what I like to collect. I'm sorry if I offend anyone at all. Thank you.

Well,

I intend to clean out 25 years worth of stuff in my basement this summer. I am sure there are cassettes down there. Just a matter of finding them.

Good luck wit your collections. When you get to be my age, the only thing you want to collect is $$$.

herc.

Oh, I know we have a bunch... still in wrappers... I can sell them on Ebay? Never thought of that...

I have 2, no make that 3 containers of cassettes of music on them... mostly British 80's punk, and 70's album rock... you want some of that too?

Hey, MMC - you go for it. My SIL swears she's collecting belly-button lint, so hey - to each his/her own!!!

I was just trying to understand the charm of it, and I guess I never will.

And I'm ok with that.

xxxox

Norah uses them to record her voice lessons and then uses them to practice during the week.

I go through MASSIVE amounts of blank cassettes every year for my voice lessons. My vocal coach has me tape and date every lesson and file it away. So once they are filled they get used for a week for my vocal warmup at home and then get filed away where no one can find them. haha

Our church goes through about 100 blanks a year. We tape our Sunday church service and then deliver the tapes to the folks who can't make it to services. Currently there are five families that receive a tape each week. I tend to keep the master tapes (which accounts for 52 of the 100), and the rest are either lost, damaged, or kept by someone who really liked the message.

I'd send you a couple, but we buy unlabeled, unbranded, generic cassette tapes. They come in big boxes and are not sealed. Very uninteresting.

Good luck with the collection.

but I couldn't tell you where I put them...mostly CD-R's and Mini-Disc now. I've even gone so far as to burn everything I had on vinyl onto CD.

I still use them since I'm too darn lazy to go buy a cd player and adapter thingie for my car. Heck I don't even own a CD player except computer ones.

I still use them too. I like to record the kids band concerts and special music in church.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter