Anyone have the Ott light?

I asked DH for one for Christmas too, but I don't think I'm getting it. :( "We have lights you can use" was his response.

However, I have done computer repair for someone who has one. She is a graphics artist/artist/photographer. She said she's had hers for years and had gotten it from an art supply place. She's very happy with hers. I should probably mention that she's in her 70s and she complains some about her sight at the computer, but seemed to think she can see fine at her art table where she has the lamp.

That's about all I got out of her as I was setting up her DSL and she was anxious to get her computer back. ;)

I have a small one on a table, it flips up to turn on, down to turn off. I use it for cross stitch. It does make it easier to distinguish colors if the shades are close but I think I would be just as happy with the new lightbulbs, drawing a blank here, they're curly instead of light bulb shaped. I think I got up to early!

I have one that I bought at Michaels, but I didn't realize what I was getting until a few days later when I saw an ad in a scrapbooking magazine. I got the light for an incredible price totally by accident. I was looking for a light to use so that I could read the Disney cross-stitch pattern that I was working on (I wanted a lamp with a magnifying glass built in). I went to Michaels and looked all over the store, but couldn't find any lamps. So I asked an employee. She took me over to the paint supplies and pointed to the bottom shelf. Their were two rows of OTT lights in purple boxes and one row in a black box. Under the purple boxes it said $79.99 (I think that was the price, but it's been a few weeks, so I could be wrong). The price under the black ones said $129.99. So I grabbed the cheaper one and went up to the counter with my 40% off coupon. Well, it rang up as $129.99!!! I told her that was wrong. The employee that had shown me the lamps originally overhears us and comes over and starts telling me that I am wrong. I told her to come with me and I'd show it to her. Well, we get over there and I point to the same lamps that she had showed me a few minutes before. So she gets down on the floor so that she can read the little price sticker on the shelf and she tells me that they are in the wrong place and that I have to pay $129. Well, I didn't need the lamp that bad, so I said forget it. As I am walking back down the aisle, my cell phone rings and it is my daughter calling. Well, I'm one of these people that doesn't feel comfortable talking on a cell phone in public, so I left the store. As I'm telling my daughter what happened, she tells me that I should call and complain about the price. So I called the manager and nicely explained what happened and she told me to come back and that she would honor the price, plus let me use my 40% off coupon!!! So I got the more expensive lamp for less than $50! It's a great lamp and it does really show true colors...but I don't think I would pay $129 for it!

stm61 said:
I have a small one on a table, it flips up to turn on, down to turn off. I use it for cross stitch.
I have the same one, and use it for cross-stitch, too. I'd like to have a slightly bigger one for desktop use, but I like the portability of my little one.

It definitely makes a huge difference when you're doing handwork or trying to match colors on a layout! :)

Thanks for letting me know...well for those of you looking for one for Christmas I found them at Big Lots for 49.00! they had fake ones and the real ones. Fake 29.00 the real ones 49.00 so I bought one. I want to use it for reading.

Good for you Mickey/Minnie...I can't stand when things are missed marked and they won't honor it!...

Holycow

Mikes is bad for missmarking things and not honoring it - I think they mark it low on purpose and hope you won't notice at checkout.

I have an ott floorlamp and the colors are much truer than under either regular lights or florescent. I wish I had the table version though, because i could get it closer to my work. The floor lamp has a big base, and isn't very flexible.

I got a floor model for Christmas a few years ago. I bead, and it is by far the BEST light I have ever used. I got the small table top one last August with a coupon from Joann's to take to a bead show to use in the classes I was taking. The lighting is very unpredictable at those places, and these "mature" eyes don't do well with bad lights anymore :3dglasses . It has worked out great for me. I have used other high intensity lights, but the Ott light colors are true, which really helps with beading and I'm sure for cross stitching too.

I just wanted to add that for those interested, I saw some of the floor lamp Ott lights at Big Lots the other night for $49.99. They were over in the furniture section leaning against a dresser in boxes. Is this a pretty good price? It was the Ott brand, as I remember looking at it twice to make sure.

I have one and LOVE IT. I can't scrap without it. I have the small flip one with the pull out magnifier. I don't know how I matched anything before I got it. All of my pictures and colors look so much richer under my OTT. I use it ever time I scrap, it's always one of the first things I grap before I start doing anything. I got mine for Christmas last year, DFi got it at Mike's with a coupon, but I have seen several models at Tuesday Mornings before and they were a pretty good deal there.

I have the little flip top one too, and I love it, although it is too small and I wish I would have gotten the big one. It makes a huge difference when I am scrapping at night: colors that look ok together with the regular light might look horrendous with the Ott light or natural light.

I have one that can be a floor model or clamp onto a table. Mine is clamped to the back of my workroom table and can be pivoted all over the work surface. I've had it 2 or 3 years now (time does fly!) and don't know how I ever got along with out it! The colors are truer and the light is just better than any other light or lamp I've used.

When we are heavy into theater season I sometimes have no choice but to sew late into the night and this is a real eye strain saver. Also it allows me to scrap later into the evenigns than I would otherwise. And quite frankly on many of our dark winter days it adds a huge pleasant pool of light to the room.

Deb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter