Anyone have the scoop on lunch with imagineers?

Crazy4mandms

Addicted to WDW and proud of it!
I know its just starting this week, but am wondering if anyone can answer a few questions. How many people are at the table at one time? What age group would this be geared towards? Adults or children? I am asking specifically because I would like to send my 11 yr old DS (who wants to be an imagineer someday :teeth: ) to this lunch. I just don't have enough extra cash for myself and other DS to go so am wondering if it would be fine to have him do that and we just eat at a regular table while he's with the imagineer. Also am wondering if this is adult oriented (like real technical jargon, etc.). If anyone will be going soon I'd appreciate a feedback on what its like. Thanks!!

I could be wrong but I believe the lunch is with a disney artist and not a disney imagineer. Is this the one at the Brown Derby?

yes, it is at the Brown Derby, but it says imagineers....this is in addition to the artist one. But I'm sure it is run similarly to the artist..have you been to the artist?

Wow, that's so neat, now I want to go! I haven't been to the artist lunch, I just read about it a short while ago. Do you know where I could find info on the Imagineer lunch. I'm a design/Film student heading to WDW in February. I'm sure it would be a very neat experience.

There is a short little blurb about it on the DIS mainpage down on the lefthand side....that's all I've seen...I usually check Deb's site at wdwig.com as she has really good info on restaurants, etc..but she has nothing posted yet. I would love to do this lunch myself, however at $61 a person I really couldn't do it but want my son to be able to experience it...I'm just wondering if the discussion would be "over his head" since he will only be 12.

Crazy - can I just say what a great mom you are? I mean, seeing a blurb about something like this and knowing how much your son would enjoy it... encouraging his vision and dreams? That's just so incredibly... I don't know, I'm at a loss for words here. I was really thrilled to hear about the Lunch With An Imagineer program, too, and am anxious to hear a few reports about it. I knew about the Lunch With An Artists program, but that never really interested me. But an imagineer? Oh yeah, that would rock! Anyway, I really just wanted to give you kudos for being a good mom!

Richard

I'm sure with your son being 12 years old, they would take into consideration that they're speaking with a younger person opposed to an adult. Disney people seem to be good at that sort of thing. I wonder if there are any restrictions that apply.

Crazy4-you are in the same dilemma as me! My DS, 10, dreams of being an imagineer too-he'd love to design WDW Haunted Mansion XMAS. I saw the little thing about this lunch and wondered the same things you did. Would it look weird if a 10 year old was there? When are you going? Too bad we couldn't put them together at the same time!

my husband and i did lunch w/the animator and it was FABULOUS!! it was worth the price. and we are talking of doing it again in december. very, very glad we did this. highlight of the trip. do it!!!!!:tongue:

OMG, Richard, thank you so much!!!! Your praise made me feel so good!! I live for my kids and want them to enjoy life to the fullest...there is nothing more important to me than that!!! I just grad from college with a degree in Education...most of the reason I wanted to be a teacher is because I hope to help many children find their "niche" and follow their dreams (oh, yeah..and pass the state mandated tests ;)) . My DH and I never had that as kids so we swore our kids would....we don't have alot of $ but my kids don't care too much about that and we always try to use what we have wisely enough so that we can give things like this to our kids. My DS hasn't stopped talking about being an imagineer since we left WDW in May....we watched the specials on the making of the AK on the travel channel which just hooked him even more...I would love to surprise him with this.

Hkwrn...we are either going in April or June..I see u r going in Jun...if we did it would be the very end of June after school ends...that would be so cool if it were possible to have them buddy up!!!

Disney Queen...how was this lunch set up? How many people were there at the table? How was the conversation geared? I'm sure the imagineer lunch would be set up similarly

we were in the bamboo room and the table was set for 3 as it was just us and the animator. i read where there is usually 5 to 1, but this must be a rarity. the menu was printed w/our names on it! the salad. soup, and dessert choices were all the same and we chose our entree. the conversation went well and we were told about projects he had worked on. he was the lead animator for stitch. i think the conversation would be geared toward whatever age the group would be. we asked a few general questions which kinda got things started. the total included the tax and gratuity. hopes this helps!:tongue:

We, DD11 and me, did the Lunch with a Disney Artist this past August and she had the time of her life! She was a bit shy at first but by the end of the whole experience, we were all laughing and giggling just like we were old friends!

If your child has this interest, go for it! You will not regret it. You cannot put a price on your child's interest in their future!

BTW, the food is fabulous at the Brown Derby!

Scratch
:smooth:

I would hesitate to book this for a lone 11 year-old. See what you can do to arrange for the two of you to book together (they may not be allowed to book for children w/ no adult). Certainly a neat experience, but don't make any promises until you've confirmed that it's an acceptable situation.
This is not to say that your child is not a perfectly behaved, smart, well-adjusted individual, but would you book any other table-service restaurant or a dinner-show for one kid without an adult? The liability simply may not be acceptable.

DisneyQueen- I am so jealous that you dined with the lead animator of Stitch!!!!!!!! With my luck, I would go and dine with the lead animator for dalmation #78 ;)

CrazyforMandMs -- There is another travel Channel show on this week- WDW Resort- Behind the scenes --- that has quite a bit about imagineers in it ----Oct. 6 at 2:00pm (maybe you can tape it for your Son)

nasmith...thanks for the tip!! have it marked in my calendar!!

I understand that there may be some liabilty/other issues that would not allow my son to go it alone..that's why I started this thread...I wanted to find out if this is feasible....I would be having lunch in the same restaurant and would not leave until he is finished....so i guess it all depends on how secluded the bamboo room is.

But then again they just did some renovations so this could have changed.

It is a separate room so that no one can see what is going on but if you have the blinds open, those outside can see what is going on. The room itself is an "L" shape and at least where we sat was at the back of the room by the bar. There was no door and the waiter still has his own section plus the Bamboo Room.

I would call Disney Dining to ask if it would be at all possible just to have your son have lunch alone.

Personally, I would not want to miss it!

Hope this helps somewhat.

Scratch
:smooth:

Crazy4mandms- The travel channel had a great show just on imagineers. Did your DS see it?? I have it on tape not great quality but if you want e mail me & I'll copy it for you. Or check Kirby Bartlett-Sloans website he lists all the upcoming Disney related tv shows. Mothers need to help each other make their kids dreams come true.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter