• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

anyone have tips for buying an ecv

dj2

all my little ducks in a row...
i have the opportunity to buy a 6-yr-old, hardly used Amigo FD. it's a pretty basic, small model, but looks ok for my current needs. (i prefer to walk w/rollator when it's not too far.)

a web search found new ones for approx $1800--i think i can get this one for about $300. it seems to run well, and the web search said that the battery it uses is safe for air travel (gel). of course i know each transaction is unique, but does anyone know any general concerns i should be aware of before buying, such as is this a quality brand, or a brand that usually has problems? i appreciate any advice anyone might like to share.

thanks,
dj

Hi dj2,

I've used nothing else than an Amigo brand ECV and am unable to walk at all so I must depend on this ECV to be my legs. I have a RWD and have not had very many problems with it. I can get it serviced fairly quickly if I do.

The place that I got this from said that the Amigo brand ECV's have the least problems out of most brand ECV's. I bleieve what he says. I've been using Amigo ECV's almost 20 years now and really like them a lot.

The cost of my Amigo ECV brand new was around $3,600.00. I get a few extras, not many and ususal get a new one every five years for that is the time span that my insurance and OVR (ocupational vocational rehabilatation) will pay for a new one.

I've had the Amigo that I use now for 4 years in September and must use it every day, except for when I'm sleeping, and it is still running. You do notice that the motor wears down, but not too much and you must replace batteries every year or so.

When you say basic small model, is this Amigo Yellow in the front with 1 battery?

If you have any more questions for me, I'll be glad to answering them.

thank you so much for responding! i really appreciate your advice. good to know Amigo is a quality brand. yes, there was only one battery, but i do not remember the color. the owners' manual covered 4-5 different models, and this was the most basic of them all. do you have any idea if forward drive is ok? the only other experience i have with ECVs is with ones rented on vacation in orlando. i'm grateful that i'm not at the stage of health where my insurance will cover them (even though it will still be very useful at times), and i'm thinking that it's probably worth the risk of $$ to get this used one.

thanks again for your help.

dj

The model of Amigo that you are talking about would be the first Amigo that I had. I don't know if Amigo made any changes to the model at all, but here is what to expect....

Yes, the forward drive is okay, but you need to watch (and like I said I don't know if there have been any adjustments made to this model) is the hills because on this model the only thing that stops you when going down the hill is a little hand brake in front of the back wheel and if you keep hitting your control in reverse. It will make a funny noise. Also, these models do not have as much power as the RWD models, so when going over bumps or in grass, it might be a little harder. They also tip over more easily than the RWD. Just don't make sharp turns or try turning on a steep hill and you will be fine.

The RWD models have a built-in braking system which means that when you lift off of the control, then you ECV stops. It doesn't with this ECV Amigo model. You will, just like going down a steep hill, have to push the control in the opposite direction to stop sooner.

If you plan to use this at WDW, you will have to be careful of the hills, and I can't remember the power when you are backing up. I know I backed up onto the monorail. I've only been to WDW once and have riden the monorail once so I think there was somewhat of a grade to the ramp getting on and off. You might need to watch this with this model. Like I said anything with a grade, you have to watch because there is not an automatic braking system built into this model unless Amigo changed things.

I think that if you are just using this ECV for things like shopping, or around the home, etc., then you will be okay. Just watch the hills at WDW and you may need to charge sooner than expected.

Like I said before, I hardly have had any problems with Amigos and really like them. When my sister and I recieved our first Amigo, it was this model and we just loved it. It was freedom to us. With all its little quirks, we still loved it! We got used to it and made it work even with the hills and sharp turns. :)

Joy

If you still have questions, just ask away.

thank you, thank you, thank you!

i really appreciate all the info!

i'd forgotten how hilly WDW can be. yep, i was hoping to use this also to save on rentals at WDW. i remember the guy's owner's manual said it had a maximum of 5 degree slope. i'm going to have to give this a bit of thought.

you've been very helpful. thanks for taking the time to respond!

-dj

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter