• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone here use an umbrella as a sun shield at the parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never used one for heat BUT have for rain. I am very aware of my surroundings and I ask that others be too! I HATE ponchos, their just not for me to each their own. I have never nor have i ever been bumped carrying an umbrella. If you want to use one to shelter yourself from heat, I say go ahead, it might appear silly to some BUT do whatever you want, besides there will be someguy with crocs and socks on, also getting the funny looks!

PS crocs with socks IS really comfortable.

Thanks, everyone. Wow, I had no idea this could be such a debated topic.

Me, either! I guess anything can be a hot topic on a discussion board. :laughing:

It never occured to me that I would possibly poke someone in the eye with my umbrella......

I'm assuming that you wouldn't be swinging it around. If someone isn't paying attention to where they're going, or if the insist on walking on your heels, it would be their fault - not yours - that they ran into you or your umbrella.

I guess I pictured myself using one if we needed to wait in line for a while at an attraction or CS restaurant, etc. For those interested, I'm thinking of this very ultra-lightweight umbrella or one similar. It could slip into my backback without an issue.

Unless Disney makes a weird rule about no umbrellas in the park, I think that would be absolutely fine. :)

Thanks, everyone. Wow, I had no idea this could be such a debated topic. It never occured to me that I would possibly poke someone in the eye with my umbrella......

I guess I pictured myself using one if we needed to wait in line for a while at an attraction or CS restaurant, etc. For those interested, I'm thinking of this very ultra-lightweight umbrella or one similar. It could slip into my backback without an issue.

We definitely bring ponchos each day. I just thought I could pull out one of these mini umbrellas quickly until we could duck in somewhere to get situated with our ponchos on.

Can't stand hats so a wide brimmed hat is out. I wish it wasn't the case, though, because I know they are such a great choice. Especially the ones from Coolibar and other sun protection companies.

Thanks again!

Most of the queues at WDW are covered. The beginning part may be exposed but I'm hard-pressed to think of an attraction without any cover at all. Most of the CS restaurants are also indoors. There's maybe 1 per park that is outdoors.

I'm in the camp of "more trouble than it's worth," but I don't like carrying extra stuff around.

No one has ever said that they aren't allowed, but when the park is very crowded, they can become a hazard. Imagine walking and someone poking you in the eye with the spoke from their umbrella :scared1: It would be by accident & they might not even realize that they have done it to you.. and kept walking.. :eek: Me personally, I would wear a large rimmed hat for the heat/sun protection, not the umbrella.. beside, my arm would get tired of holding it up after awhile :goodvibes
For the rains, I always use a poncho.. living here with our thunderstorms, I don't trust an umbrella with the lightning we get.. I don't want to be holding the lightning rod...;)

I don't see how an umbrella is anymore dangerous than a stroller in a crowded park, and the strollers just keep getting bigger(despite WDW having size limits, people ignore them).

Hats, sunblock and ponchos are not always options for everyone.

I just have to use a sun umbrella because I have really sensitive skin and my DF prefers it under the umbrella too, although he's too manly to admit! :lmao:

I've seen women carry parasols in the parks and I have no problem with it. As already pointed out, I believe they're sold in both China and France.

Inconsiderate? Ridiculous. To anyone who's afraid they might be poked with one: You're allowed to watch where you're going, too, y'know -- you don't HAVE to walk into someone's parasol.

ITA
We were just in WDW end of march/beg of April ( :( has it already been a month!) and I saw several people with them, it Epcot, as well as other parks. I mentioned then to my DH that when we go back in Sept a Small umbrella is on my list as it would be nice to have a little relief from the sun.

While I agree we should all be considerate of other's comfort, that does not mean we can't also be comfortable. and If someone is walking close enough to me to be hit by my umbrella that I would NOT be just swinging around, well, then maybe they should BACKUP a little or watch where they are walking :)

We take small, fold up umbrellas for the sudden downpours in the fall. Got caught in a DRENCHER once and that was enough. Didn't think of using it for the sun until we were waiting for the afternoon MK parade and it was full, hot sun. I used my umbrella and had some around me say they wished they'd thought of that.

We also got stuck outside on Splash Mt. right where there was water running down the side of the Mt - right onto us in our stopped log. I took out and opened my umbrella to shield us from the water. The people in the front of our log were drenched and we were not. Once the ride started up again I put it away. And before anyone flames me, this was before I knew anything about cameras on rides, what the CM's stop rides for, etc. We were stopped for some other reason and all I thought of was not getting soaked while at a dead stop for several minutes.

By the way, they don't poke other people if they are the small, fold up ones. Unless someone is right next to you. We were there in slow season. Ours fit easily into our bags. Just be careful of others like people with strollers, EVC's, big backpacks, etc should be. We didn't walk around with them all the time, however, so in really crowded conditions you might need to be more aware of others around you.

Btw, get a light colored one since they reflect the heat rather than soaking it in. Ours were Totes brand, small fold up umbrellas.

For using in the sun, get a light-colored umbrella (I have one that's light blue). Will absorb less sun than a dark umbrella, and keep you cooler.

i dont think its a matter of someone gouging my eyes out or anything drastic like that...

lines are crowded. youre talking about holding and maneuvering a 3-4 foot wide object while youve got people inches away from you on both sides. its going to be annoying to those people. same goes for watching parades, with the added annoyance of obstructed views. thats all im saying.

not a crisis. just something i wouldnt do. seems rude to me.

i dont think its a matter of someone gouging my eyes out or anything drastic like that...

lines are crowded. youre talking about holding and maneuvering a 3-4 foot wide object while youve got people inches away from you on both sides. its going to be annoying to those people. same goes for watching parades, with the added annoyance of obstructed views. thats all im saying.

Doesn't seem any different that watching a parade with a huge stroller. You still get people inches away and obstructed views.

I do think the people who mentioned using umbrellas said they used them while waiting for a parade. Which sounds like they put them away when the parade starts. Huge strollers don't get "put away" when a parade starts.

Why are people always so worried about what others do? Disney is a huge park, not many will use umbrella's for the sun so you seeing a parade shouldn't be hampered. I get sun sickness easy, I will use an umbrella is needed,life goes one....

The only park I use one for shade in is Epcot, especially WS. There's so much concrete and not much of anything to shade you - the heat can be brutal (yes, I consider low 90's to be brutal, regardless of the humidity level). The other parks seem to have buildings closer together for the most part, so you can duck into shade and A/C frequently. But WS is a hot place for touring in the summer and early fall. I do feel it's my responsibility to make sure I'm not bumping into anyone with it, and I certainly would put it down in a crowded queue area.

I actually feel hotter wearing a hat than going without one. It's like it doesn't let the heat escape from the top of my head or something.

I don't usually use an umbrella for rain though. I have a nylon poncho I carry if there's a good chance of rain. The only time I would use the umbrella for rain is just to get indoors and wait it out. We have mostly horizontal rain here, so about the only thing that stays dry if you use an umbrella is the top of your head! :rotfl:

I don't carry one because I don't like to carry stuff, but I see other people doing it. Most of them are older people and they are generally using parasols, not umbrellas, though there are umbrellas to be found.

Old people (in general) tend to care a hell of lot less how they look than younger people. If it keeps them healthier and more comfortable, screw looks. This is one of the reasons I love the old folks.

It's a great idea. Helps keep the heat off of you.

Go for it!

I do use a small umbrella, especially in the summer. I've used it in every park. But I also pay attention to those around me, unlike those who wear those monstrosities they call backpacks. I have be hit by them when the wearer turns around totally oblivious to their surroundings. Is it really necessary to bring the kitchen sink with you? Some of those things stick out from their backs practically a foot. :confused3

actually the ones I am thinking of are in no way 3 feet across nor are they shaped in such a manner as to block anybody's view.

now if anyone was to drag along a Golf Umbrella large enough to shield the whole fam damily at once, that would be an issue.

I had one, it was a white battenburg lace-y-ish teeny little sucker. misplaced it last PCS. useless in the rain as it was actually cloth and not waterprooof at all, but it was perfect to keep the sun off.

Ponchos just seem to be more trouble and uncomfortable, especially after they get wet. sure as heck can't fold them up as small as they started out when dry and mine always seem to get caught up in my wheels( I use a WC in the parks) and uhh, the last time I ended up sitting on a wet squeaky plastic bag like substance and got my bum soaked, I was done with ponchos. now I bring a stray garbage bag that can fit over the seat and back just in case I end up having to store my ride out from under cover and it starts to rain. and most restaurants have emergency supplies too. Although to be fair I think the poor guy at Rose and Crown would rather have put it on HIMSELF than over my chair and the 2 strollers that one time heheheheh.

I don't, nor would I use them in the rain.They are downright dangerous in crowds.If it is really crowded and tight quarters, I have seen Cms ask people to close them.I have seen too many people holding them so they obstruct their vision and then walk into other people with it.If you use them be cautious and considerate of those around you

I can't imagine walking around a park ( except for Epcot) carrying an umbrella for the sun. IMO - a big pain & nuisance. Every time you would get in a line for a ride or enter a shop, it would need to be closed.

The constant opening & closing would be a real :headache:.

Many of the parasols are more ornate, made out of wood with rounded tips, so they do not seem quite as obtrusive as the pointy tips on umbrellas.

In any case in very crowded areas I think it's a bad idea. But, if it's not too crowded where your walking then go for it.

I'm a hat and sunscreen person. I've only used an umbrella once at WDW, I was wearing Lederhosen at MNSSHP and the thought of walking around in soaking wet suede leather didn't sound too good! :sad2:

I have never been asked to close my umbrella in the rain at WDW, anywhere. I'll continue to use it. I find ponchos uncomfortable and difficult to take off and store after they have already gotten wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter