• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone here who is a single mother/father who works and a full time nurse student?

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad you and your husband can work things out with work/school/kids' schedule. If you don't mind me asking.. do you guys take out loans? And are you taking yours at a CC (community college)? Are you almost done? I wish you and your husband good luck and I hope everything will work out for you. I am quite sure it's worth it once you're done with Nursing. I just wish that we have the option of going part-time so for those working mothers/fathers can obtain the degree. I know Nursing is not an easy job, but going to school to be a Nurse is much more difficult.

Yes we take out loans, also have grants and scholarships. If we didn't there is no way we could make it working only part time. We have also cut out so many extras to help make it doable. We don't have cable, we eat out only on special occasions, and my crockpot is my new best friend. I do go to a community college in northern colorado. My husband goes to a University. We are lucky that our kids are old enough to be all day school so we have minimum daycare.

I just started my second (last) year. My husband still has one year after this. It's a struggle and I feel burnt out most the time. I try to focus in the small things bc when I look at the big picture I get so overwhelmed.

One other suggestion I have is record lectures. I can pop in my earbuds (usually only one so I can still hear what the kids are doing) while I'm cooking or cleaning so I'm still getting a little studying in.

One thing you can do is to look at some local hopsital's websites. They advertise openings. I've been following all the Nursing jobs closely at the 2 hospitals closest to me.

The one that's closest to me just made #2 rank for safety in the whole state. And I'm in Massachusetts, so you're talking some well-known and well-respected Boston hospitals as competition.

They always have a minimum of 5 RN jobs listed. And all of them (with some rare exceptions) ask for the RN licensure. It clearly states that the applicant can have either the associates or the bachelors.

I've also spoken with my own physician's assistant and doctor. They both said that mostly the hospitals in the city are the ones that prefer the bachelors, and that the local hospitals don't care so much as long as you're an RN.

Late to this thread and didn't read all of the responses but I just wanted to give you some hope. I went through LPN school as a single mother and FT worker. I worked 7p-7a Fri-Sun then went to school 8 hours a day for 2 days a week then 8 hour clinicals the other 2 days. I was very tired and and got sick a few times (usually only get sick 1 time a year if that) but made it through. Luckily my daughter was older (7 at the time) and could entertain herself while I studied. I am about to do a LPN-RN program with the same schedule. Sure, people say "don't work while you're in school" but they're not the ones paying your bills so do what you have to do. Keep your eyes on the prize and you will do great! Best of luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter