7 c Flour
1 1/2 c -Warm water
1 ts Salt
1 c Undiluted evaporated milk
1/4 c Soft shortening
Oil; for frying
Confectioner's sugar

In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over water, stir to dissolve. Add sugar,
salt, eggs, and milk. Blend with rotary beater. Add 4 cups of the flour.
Cover and chill overnight. Roll out on floured board to 1/8" thickness. Cut
into 2 1/2" squares. Deep fry at 360 degrees 2-3 minutes or until lightly
browned on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle heavily with
confectioner's sugar. Makes about 5 dozen. Dough keeps well in refrigerator
for several days. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and punch down
occassionally.

For more recipes, check my website (under WWW).

If you are intimidated and need a cheat there is a mix you can buy in the cake section of the grocery store. It is put out by one of the restaurants in New Orleans and I can't for the life of me remeber the name. The box is orange, brown and white and is the same size as a regular cke box.

I used to make these all the time but haven't thought of making them in a long time - sounds like a good weekend breakfast idea!

TK

Wait, I remember now Cafe du Monde (spelling could be incorrect but close!) They also sell chickory coffee.

Yes TK, Cafe Du Monde is the place. The Beignets are wonderful there. I was in NO two years ago with friends and they insisted on eating there every morning.

Here's a link to their web site:
Cafe Du Monde

If you can't find the mix in your local grocery, the site sells it and more.

Cafe Du Monde is the ORIGIONAL Beignets! Anyone traveling to New Orleans should make a special trip but beware some don't care for the chickory coffee. PO's Beignets aren't bad either ;)

Cheryl :bounce:

OOOOHHHH, you are making me hungry! Nothing is as tasty as beignets from Cafe Du Monde. The ones at PO are good, too. I may have to go to the store for a mix!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter