• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone know if Costco still has Universal passes?

Grim_Grinning_Girl

DIS Veteran
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows if the 5 day $59 Universal Studios Hollywood pass is still available at southern California Costcos?

I'm in northern California and our Costco has a 2 day pass for $59.00, so I have a feeling the so Cal Costcos may have the same since it's no longer the summer season.

Thanks!

I don't like to call any Costco because it's impossible to get a hold of an actual person to ask (well at least for me it is!). Finally called and called a Costco in Bakersfield where we have purchase Universal tickets before, and I was told that yes they too still currently have the 5 Day $59.00 pass. Pretty good deal, plus this can be upgraded to an annual pass.

The only bad thing is that this pass does have a lot of block out dates, I think it was last year, but last year's pass did not have a single block out date, this new one is loaded with them! Mine's not handy at the moment but if I remember I will post the block out dates.

Thanks for the update. I would be really interested in what block-out dates there are 18 Dec to 22 Dec and 1 Jan to 5 Jan :thumbsup2

Thanks for the update. I would be really interested in what block-out dates there are 18 Dec to 22 Dec and 1 Jan to 5 Jan :thumbsup2

Hi, I never really bothered to read the back of my pass but it turns out there's a website listed that has the block out dates for 2011 and 2012, located here:

http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/costco

The next blocked dates for 2011 are: Dec. 26th thru Dec. 31st, and it looks like there are none in January. The one block out date exception which happened to us is, the Costco ticket has to be exchanged at the Universal Studios annual pass processing center which often has a long line. As long as you have not yet exchanged your ticket if the day you visit happens to fall on a blocked date you will be able to enter the park without being charged an additional "block out date" fee, which I think is $20.00.

They will ask to see your ID, if you are with a child they will ask for the full name and birth-date, this info is entered into the system and comes in handy in the event that you loose your pass, $10 fee to replace it. I think it's about $25 to upgrade to an annual pass, and anyone can purchase this Costco ticket, you do not need to be a southern California resident, but you do have to have a Costco membership. Finger print scan required at the turnstile.

Hope this helps!

Hi, I never really bothered to read the back of my pass but it turns out there's a website listed that has the block out dates for 2011 and 2012, located here:

http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/costco

The next blocked dates for 2011 are: Dec. 26th thru Dec. 31st, and it looks like there are none in January. The one block out date exception which happened to us is, the Costco ticket has to be exchanged at the Universal Studios annual pass processing center which often has a long line. As long as you have not yet exchanged your ticket if the day you visit happens to fall on a blocked date you will be able to enter the park without being charged an additional "block out date" fee, which I think is $20.00.

They will ask to see your ID, if you are with a child they will ask for the full name and birth-date, this info is entered into the system and comes in handy in the event that you loose your pass, $10 fee to replace it. I think it's about $25 to upgrade to an annual pass, and anyone can purchase this Costco ticket, you do not need to be a southern California resident, but you do have to have a Costco membership. Finger print scan required at the turnstile.

Hope this helps!

WOW, thats WICKED COOL!!!!!!! Thanks for the info on the BO dates!!!!!! :thumbsup2

Are these the same passes that are currently on sale in Costco stores now?
I am not a store member, so I can't go check. My mother-in-law saw some in the store that she wanted to buy for us, but we can't figure out if the 5 days can be used over the course of several months or a year. Or if they have to be used consecutively from first day of use. :confused3

Anyone know?

We want to go for one day in December for Grinchmas, and then go back later in 2012 for another few days. Can we do that with these type of tickets?

My friend is buying us these from the Costco up near Canyon Country - up the 5 to the 14 towards Palmdale.

She read all the fine print for me over the phone, and it basically was 5 uses within a year of activiation with activation=first day of use. Do NOT have to be consecutive or within first 14 days - just a year. First day of use doesn't have blackout dates, but from there on out there were TONS of blackout dates. For us, it is cheaper at $59 that just a one day pass, so she is going to get them for us.

Hope that helps

My friend is buying us these from the Costco up near Canyon Country - up the 5 to the 14 towards Palmdale.

She read all the fine print for me over the phone, and it basically was 5 uses within a year of activiation with activation=first day of use. Do NOT have to be consecutive or within first 14 days - just a year. First day of use doesn't have blackout dates, but from there on out there were TONS of blackout dates. For us, it is cheaper at $59 that just a one day pass, so she is going to get them for us.

Hope that helps

Thanks! It does help.

I actually was able to get a hold of someone who works at Universal today and she confirmed that it doesn't have to be consecutive. Looks like these are the passes we'll be getting. :)

Does anyone know if these passes are routinely available at California Costcos? That's the cheapest price I've seen, but I'll be flying in from the East Coast, so would need to buy it when I arrive. The Entertainment Book site offers a $69 one day ticket, and I'll have to decide if paying extra is worth not having to make the extra stop once I'm there.
I got a one-day pass for free with Coke Rewards points, but need one more ticket for my traveling companion. The extra four days would go unused (we're spending most of our time at DLR), but the food discount will help.
Thanks for the help.

Does anyone know if these passes are routinely available at California Costcos? That's the cheapest price I've seen, but I'll be flying in from the East Coast, so would need to buy it when I arrive. The Entertainment Book site offers a $69 one day ticket, and I'll have to decide if paying extra is worth not having to make the extra stop once I'm there.
I got a one-day pass for free with Coke Rewards points, but need one more ticket for my traveling companion. The extra four days would go unused (we're spending most of our time at DLR), but the food discount will help.
Thanks for the help.

Our extra 5 days will probably go ununsed as well, but it is still the cheapest way to get through the gate as far as I can tell. Go through the entertainment checkout process to see if they add any fees so you can get a good comparison.

Now the only drawback to the Costco passes is that it looks like you have to "process" like an AP which may add time to getting in the park. For just one ticket, it may not be worth the added hassle. I'll let you know after we use them next week.

Thanks, we'd seen that, but as East Coasters, getting a USH annual pass for next year for a few more dollars would just mean I'll be spending a few more dollars to visit for one day this year.

I've rechecked the website http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/costco It still says that the first use must be by Dec 31 2011, which obviously isn't going to happen for a January 2012 trip. Does anyone in California happen to know if the offer has been renewed for this year? I was hoping that it would be updated by now.
I'll try calling a California Costco later today when they open. If I find out, I'll post here.

You could try calling Universal directly as well. We did use them on Dec. 21, and one of our party had to go through the AP line with everyone's full name and birthdate. It went very fast (aout 10 min) but we didn't get there until 11:45 that day. They do a finger scan upon entry, and you get a paper type ticket to keep.

Good luck!

The Costco in Marina del Rey told me they had a good supply of Universal 5-day tickets good for 2012 available for $59. That's not too far from LAX, so we'll stop there after we fly in.

It looks like the best deal for DL tickets will be the 3 day park hopper for $199. Mousesavers has a travel agent offering the same tickets for $194, but I don't see any reason to add another level of interaction to save $5. Now if the travel agent would throw in a pin...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter