Anyone know the Fort Worth area?

ashley0139

DIS Veteran
I'm being relocated there by my job and know nothing about it. Any recommendations on areas to live? No kids so don't need to worry about schools. I'll be working downtown but willing to drive 15-20 minutes to work. Not sure if living in Fort Worth proper or somewhere outside is better. I looked at West 7th but that seems to be a bit of a younger/louder crowd than I want. I'd like to be close to shopping/restaurants but not literally on top of them. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!!

I used to live in ftw. West 7th is trendy, hip, and hopping, and very millenial. Southlake is very upscale, but probably further out than you wanna be. Traffic in general is horrible.

I'm being relocated there by my job and know nothing about it. Any recommendations on areas to live? No kids so don't need to worry about schools. I'll be working downtown but willing to drive 15-20 minutes to work. Not sure if living in Fort Worth proper or somewhere outside is better. I looked at West 7th but that seems to be a bit of a younger/louder crowd than I want. I'd like to be close to shopping/restaurants but not literally on top of them. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!!
You’re coming from NYC aren’t you? Huge culture shock for you. It’s not bad as I’m from the NE myself but just prepare yourself.

We like Fort Worth way more than Dallas. It's a long drive for us though because of how sprawled out everything is.

I'm not a big fan of Hurst or Euless. Arlington has issues too. Southlake, Grapevine and Flower Mound are good places but definitely might be too far. It depends on where your workplace is. Colleyville is nice too but pricey.

Welcome to nice hot Texas!

Fort Worth is huge. Just DFW Airport is bigger than the island of Manhattan. What's your budget? Do you have a car? You can't get around very well using public transit. One suggestion is downtown in the Sundance Square area. There's restaurants, bars, Bass Performance Hall, and a movie theater. Another option is the Magnolia area which is a recently revitalized area full of funky bars and restaurants that leans older than West 7th. Another nice area is the TCU area. There's great restaurants in the area as well and the university offers all sorts of cultural programming. You need to make sure the complex you choose doesn't cater to college students though. My final suggestion is the Museum District. There's world class museums in the Fort Worth museum district and their own restaurants plus you're close to the restaurants on West 7th without living there. You're also close to my favorite Fort Worth bookstore, Monkey and Dog.

Each of these neighborhoods has it's own flavor and amenities. All of them are within easy commuting distance of downtown although some are easier than others. If you like to bike or walk, you might also see if the place you're looking at is close to the Trinity Trail network. Biking the trail is very popular in Fort Worth and the trail has restaurants, parks, a food truck park, a Whole Foods, a farmer's market, etc. along it. Recently, my DH biked with our kids on the trail from our home in South Fort Worth to Whole Foods. Fort Worth's mayor is very into biking and likes to have what she calls rolling town halls.

If you want to talk to more Fort Worth natives and learn more about these neighborhoods, I highly recommend checking out the Fort Worth subforum on City-data. You're also welcome to PM me.

I lived in Benbrook for years. Loved it. Quick commute to downtown. There’s a Whole Foods nearby now. Feel free to message me if you have questions.

Fort Worth is huge. Just DFW Airport is bigger than the island of Manhattan. What's your budget? Do you have a car? You can't get around very well using public transit. One suggestion is downtown in the Sundance Square area. There's restaurants, bars, Bass Performance Hall, and a movie theater. Another option is the Magnolia area which is a recently revitalized area full of funky bars and restaurants that leans older than West 7th. Another nice area is the TCU area. There's great restaurants in the area as well and the university offers all sorts of cultural programming. You need to make sure the complex you choose doesn't cater to college students though. My final suggestion is the Museum District. There's world class museums in the Fort Worth museum district and their own restaurants plus you're close to the restaurants on West 7th without living there. You're also close to my favorite Fort Worth bookstore, Monkey and Dog.

Each of these neighborhoods has it's own flavor and amenities. All of them are within easy commuting distance of downtown although some are easier than others. If you like to bike or walk, you might also see if the place you're looking at is close to the Trinity Trail network. Biking the trail is very popular in Fort Worth and the trail has restaurants, parks, a food truck park, a Whole Foods, a farmer's market, etc. along it. Recently, my DH biked with our kids on the trail from our home in South Fort Worth to Whole Foods. Fort Worth's mayor is very into biking and likes to have what she calls rolling town halls.

If you want to talk to more Fort Worth natives and learn more about these neighborhoods, I highly recommend checking out the Fort Worth subforum on City-data. You're also welcome to PM me.

We call Ft Worth home (though haven't lived there in 10+ years) and I agree with everything said here. Especially the location suggestions. When we lived there, we opted to live on the outskirts for more bang for our buck in housing and really regretted it (esp when commuting!). If/when we return, we'll be in closer to downtown in one of the areas mentioned above.

I lived in Benbrook for years. Loved it. Quick commute to downtown. There’s a Whole Foods nearby now. Feel free to message me if you have questions.
We live on the other side of Benbrook Lake in Fort Worth. We looked at Benbrook since my DH's business is in Benbrook but we found what we needed in Fort Worth. I really like the city but I think being closer to downtown will make it easier for her to meet other single people. Benbrook really caters to families.

First welcome. It will be a culture shock but you will love the cost of living.
I live in fort worth. Benbrook is good. So is the wedgewood area( very quiet and about 3 different ways to get to downtown). South hulen is also nice. Both hulen and wedgewood are near nice grocery stores. West worth area is also nice. Tcu is nice but a bit pricey and and has a lot of student housing.
PM me with any questions about neighborhoods or things around you might need or want (stores shopping museums restaurants etc)

Also fort worth and dfw are great for shopping. so many different malls and shopping complexes.

Clearfork area would be good for you it sounds like. Also, central Hulen has many nice apartments. We have a new toll road that makes going downtown a piece of (expensive) cake.

There is a relatively new apartment complex off Summit and I-30 too. It isn't downtown and would only be 5 minutes to drive there. You would have access to W 7th and University and Magnolia area restaurants and shopping.

Summit Apts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter