Anyone know what this is.

There was one in my room at CSR, noticed it when I was unpacking and ignored it after that. I meant to unplug it but just forgot. We don't have anything like that at home since hubby is in computer security for a living and we don't really feel a need for it anyway. Frankly, if someone wants to use the camera to spy on my old body (I'm 67 years old) have at it. They will most likely only look once then run screaming away. And if they were listening they heard me talking to my grand daughter the night I babysat, talking to my son and his SO when they dropped her off and picked her up and me watching TV. Not very exciting in my room.
We tend to announce loudly the length of our vacation, our home address, and that we have no one watching the house and no security system. We also have a bad habit of discussing our bank account numbers and passwords, as well as our social security numbers, while we get ready to head out to the parks.

Last edited:
We tend to announce loudly the length of our vacation, our home address, and that we have no one watching the house and no security system. We also have a bad habit of discussing our bank account numbers and passwords, as well as our social security numbers while we get ready to head out to the parks.
Well of course, everyone does that. I just mumble it to myself though instead of announcing it loudly. I just figured that was not even worth mentioning. :rolleyes1

There are information cards in rooms as well. They're easy enough to unplug if not wanted. But from a security standpoint, it's not a whole lot different than the camera and microphone on a cell phone, tablet, laptop, etc.

View attachment 820526
View attachment 820527
View attachment 820528
Was coming here to say the same thing! If you have a smart phone or iPad, they are constantly listening. Not much difference. Even if you turn off Siri (on an iPhone), it's still listening. Now is a human actually hearing what we are saying? In most cases, no.

When we were there a few weeks ago the hairdryer in our bathroom was pathetic. I came into the living room and told my son I was going to go into his bathroom and see if his worked any better and take it if it did. About 30 minutes after that conversation a housekeeper knocked on our door. He asked if there was anything wrong with our room. I said no, we are fine. He then asked if everything was ok with our bathroom. I said yes, we are fine. He left. He never even entered the room completely. He didn't check the trash as they normally do when they are doing room checks. We all just looked at each other, looked at the Hey Disney thing and laughed. I'm sure it was just a weird coincidence but who knows? :goodvibes

Last edited:

from a security standpoint, it's not a whole lot different than the camera and microphone on a cell phone, tablet, laptop, etc.
Exactly true.

I was in a room where friends were watching the masked singer (I had no active engagement with prior or since) and coincidently the next few weeks advertisements for the masked singer appeared.

. We don't have anything like that at home since hubby is in computer security for a living
I'm in IT relating to security and have my entire house voice enabled. I've embraced the technology and understand the potential issues instead of pretending it's the boogeyman. It's all around us and unavoidable. Most of the time the convenience outweighs the risk.

We are headed to CSR in January and, based on our experience in January last year, I'm expecting temps to be pretty cold. We were in the Tower before, but are now staying in a Preferred room - any suggestions for a good building/location request to be close to El Centro and a bus stop? In looking at a map, it looks like Building 1 is closer to El Centro, but building 3 might have an interior hallway going to El Centro? Thank you for any advice you can give.

I'm in IT relating to security and have my entire house voice enabled. I've embraced the technology and understand the potential issues instead of pretending it's the boogeyman. It's all around us and unavoidable. Most of the time the convenience outweighs the risk.
I think it's a different strokes thing. I'm not a fan of voice anything. I don't use the ask google on my phone, I look it up, I don't use the voice feature on the remote, I just push that button. I do use bluetooth in my car because I don't want to have wreck. We don't have a camera on our door, we don't need one since there are side windows on the door (which I hate by the way) and any time UPS or Fed Ex delivers, hubby gets an email with a picture of where they delivered it. We don't have internet enabled TVs on purpose (by the way it's hard now days to find them without it). Again, don't need it. We don't have Amazon Echo, again I can look it up don't need to ask. We both have our laptops near us in the living room, hubby actually has his open on the coffee table 24/7 because of his job. We don't think it's the boogeyman, and do know that even just using our computers and phones the potential risk is there but feel no reason to open up any more than is necessary.

Nothing wrong with folks enjoying being entertained by Alexa.
It's just not necessary for many of us.
It has nothing to do with "boogeymen."

Last edited:
I never said you were, and I never suggested you said anything "along those lines". My post reads:
If people are offering up that the first thing they do is unplug a device, then put it under a blanket in a closet, then it's more than just "not a necessity".
Which was in response to Post #28, a post that suggests some people DO consider it a "bogeyman".

Note: I said "if people". I never said "if YOU", so I'm not sure how you could ever assume I was referring to you. In fact, my purpose for referencing the prior post was, in fact, to point out exactly who I WAS referencing. Your whole comment that "Well, I'm certain I never said anything along those lines." is moot, because no one ever said you did, and there are other people commenting in the thread.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter