Anyone receive Airline refunds instead of credits?

I purchased the Manulife insurance when I booked our Airmiles flights in January for our April trip.

Initially Manulife said that since the airline carrier would be offering me a voucher for future travel that my claim was denied. I didn't agree with that and emailed them back requesting 100% reimbursement of my airmiles and taxes/fees.

I received a reply a month later advising that that they will will pay my claim "on a one time exceptional basis"........whatever that means.....guess another way of telling me I'm lucky ??!!

Anyways, I haven't received my refund yet, but given it took 6 months to get to this stage, I can wait a few more months - especially since we decided not to travel 'til at least 2022.

I received 100% Airmiles refund on Monday. :-) I'm still waiting for refund of my taxes and fees ($320 purchased on my Mastercard), but likely need to wait a few more days for that to get posted. Very happy to get the refund of my airmiles and not have to travel during these uncertain times.

Doing the dreaded Westjet phone call today....
☎ ☎

Hugs
Mel
Mel, did West Jet Cancel your flights?

I was able to get a full refund for all of our flights because they cancelled them after October 21st. I think that was the date they started offering refund to payment used for purchase. I was able to set up a call back for 4 days after I tried calling.

Good luck!!!

They cancelled my Dec 18th flight and reschedule it to Dec 19th.
I am not planning on going anyway but was hoping to have the money go into Westjet dollars and not a travel bank.

They cancelled my Dec 18th flight and reschedule it to Dec 19th.
I am not planning on going anyway but was hoping to have the money go into Westjet dollars and not a travel bank.
I also had a flight in October that they cancelled and they asked me if I wanted to reschedule it or have the funds put in the travel bank. I don't think you should have any trouble. The hardest thing is getting ahold of them. I have had luck getting through to them on twitter though.

I also had a flight in October that they cancelled and they asked me if I wanted to reschedule it or have the funds put in the travel bank. I don't think you should have any trouble. The hardest thing is getting ahold of them. I have had luck getting through to them on twitter though.
Unfortunately I don't do any form of social media so I am stuck waiting on the phone.
How did you arrange a call back?

Unfortunately I don't do any form of social media so I am stuck waiting on the phone.
How did you arrange a call back?
I never used twitter either just downloaded it for that purpose lol.

When I called it said the wait time was over 12 hours and gave me the option for a call back time. It took me a few times before the day and time I picked would work. I had to keep calling back to get it done. I think they gave me 3 tries each call. Let me know how you made out

I never used twitter either just downloaded it for that purpose lol.

When I called it said the wait time was over 12 hours and gave me the option for a call back time. It took me a few times before the day and time I picked would work. I had to keep calling back to get it done. I think they gave me 3 tries each call. Let me know how you made out

Thanks I'll give it a try
Hugs
Mel

YEAH!!!
So it seems they also had cancelled my return and had me coming back a few days later than booked. (I did not get an email about this).
I cancelled both flights and was able to have my Westjet dollars returned to my account,,, now this is important because they (Westjet Dollars) do not expire.
They returned some money to my travel bank and it's good for two years BUT I can extend that for $20.00 for an extra year. Also I don't have to travel by Nov 2022 I just have to book by then. So no Christmas in Disney for me this year but you can bet your bottom dollar I will be going as soon as I get a shot in the arm.
Hugs Mel

YEAH!!!
So it seems they also had cancelled my return and had me coming back a few days later than booked. (I did not get an email about this).
I cancelled both flights and was able to have my Westjet dollars returned to my account,,, now this is important because they (Westjet Dollars) do not expire.
They returned some money to my travel bank and it's good for two years BUT I can extend that for $20.00 for an extra year. Also I don't have to travel by Nov 2022 I just have to book by then. So no Christmas in Disney for me this year but you can bet your bottom dollar I will be going as soon as I get a shot in the arm.
View attachment 540628
Hugs Mel
Perfect, I am with you, please give me that shot I need me some disney....

Just called and they are holding fast to their Credit only for two years policy. I tried to tell them others were getting the non expiry option and credits of AM and the person I had wasn't swayed at all. She said it was Airmiles policy as Air Canada wasn't giving them any other option.

Called Air Canada and they said they are working with travel agents to expand the non-expiry policy to others who didn't book directly with Air Canada.

I will keep trying.

I'm in the same boat. I booked my AC flights with Expedia. I was supposed to travel in August. I knew full well I wouldn't be travelling but I held out until the last possible minute to cancel so I could get the most of those 24 months. About a month or so ahead of time I received notification of a schedule change to my outbound flight; it was cancelled and I was rebooked to the next day. Even though the airline technically cancelled my flight I was advised by Expedia I was only eligible for the 24 month credit which is held in the name on the original ticket(s). I argued up and down that Expedia should be following the same rules as the airlines when it comes to cancellation polices, but Air Canada can not offer the voucher for those who booked through 3rd parties like agents or Expedia. At least for now. I haven't tried since because I was so frustrated. I never book with Air Canada, I wish I had stuck with WJ. I wonder if those who booked Westjet through 3rd parties can get the a credit voucher? 🤔

I have a large travel bank with JetBlue now . The latest Xmas flights they changed so I was able to get a refund which was lovely because when I called to ask they said the travel bank would only be good for a year because it’s “ business as normal” ( I tried explaining I can’t get into the country to fly anywhere lol ) I waited it out and they changed flights by more than three hours so I was eligible for a refund . Glad I waited .

Coincidentally, there was a time change of 2 hours on a flight we needed to cancel on United. United policy is if the time change is more than 1 hour and the new time doesn't work, you can get a refund on your credit card or payment that you used. We lucked out!:)

So I went onto WJ's website to fill out the form to request a refund; it's asking for our reservation code which I no longer have and that information is NOT stored in my account on WJ so I'm still SOL when it comes to a refund :headache:

Still waiting. WestJet cancelled our August flights to Orange County and put them into a travel bank. About a month ago I received the email about applying online for a refund. I did the application right away but the travel bank is still showing in my WestJet account over a month later and no refund yet. I redid the application today in case it glitched and got missed so we'll see. My email specifically said not to call and that refund applications would only be available online so I didn't even try calling them.

I had a trip to Hawaii that got cancelled and I got a refund. Granted the airline cancelled my flight and wanted to change me to a new one and I declined. They still tried to do a credit but ended up giving me a refund. This is with United airlines Toronto to HNL. I booked with points so RBC took care of it for me when it came to getting a refund instead of a credit.

I cancelled my Hawaii flights with Westjet this morning. It was my choice considering the uncertainty of the Covid tests needed. We were to leave on Jan 23’rd. I got full credit good for two years

Hello everyone!
I have a question, did some rules change recently in terms of airline refunds? We were told that vouchers were the only things Delta was giving out in terms of "refunds", valid until Dec 2022. We had cancelled our flights on March 12th and because we cancelled the flight first (before Delta cancelled them!), we wouldn't be eligible for a $ refund. Delta actually wrote back to me in November specifically saying that we would only be given vouchers but today I checked my online banking and I had my kids' tickets refunded back to my credit card. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Thanks!

Hello everyone!
I have a question, did some rules change recently in terms of airline refunds? We were told that vouchers were the only things Delta was giving out in terms of "refunds", valid until Dec 2022. We had cancelled our flights on March 12th and because we cancelled the flight first (before Delta cancelled them!), we wouldn't be eligible for a $ refund. Delta actually wrote back to me in November specifically saying that we would only be given vouchers but today I checked my online banking and I had my kids' tickets refunded back to my credit card. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Thanks!

Oh wow. We are in the same shoes as you with Delta. We cancelled our flights while at the airport in Detroit back on March 13th. We also were told it would just be a credit good for 2 years. We have not received any refund. Maybe I will give them a call this weekend and see if anything has changed. Lord what a crazy day that was looking back with so many family members and friends calling and texting us to get back to Canada ASAP because Trudeau was closing the boarder in like an hour and we would not be allowed back into Canada. Never mind that the day before Doug Ford was saying on the radio to go ahead and enjoy your March Break and travel, everything was just fine. Good times!! :scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter