• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone remember S&H Green Stamps

::yes:: I used to love sticking them in the books for my mom. :) We used to redeem them a lot but I can't remember for what.

Yep, we still have a set of cookie pans we got with S&H Green Stamps when we got married in 1980.

i always figured that the set decorators from 'that 70's show' got allot of the stuff in the forman house from thrifting b/c i recognized several items that were stamp store 'exclusives'-the bedspreads that had a patchwork quilt printed on pattern, the white cookie jar w/ what looked like pastel and brown cookies glued to the exterior, and several 'objet d'art' (almost all the households in our neighborhood had one of the 3 landscape 'paintings' offered displayed in the living room).

mom's shopping criteria was based on price first but if it was close or a wash-whoever gave out more stamps.

There was a green stamps redemption center in our local shopping center. I loved when my mom & grandma would take me. Grandma got me my 1st tv with green stamps!

always figured that the set decorators from 'that 70's show' got allot of the stuff in the forman house from thrifting b/c i recognized several items that were stamp store 'exclusives'-the bedspreads that had a patchwork quilt printed on pattern, the white cookie jar w/ what looked like pastel and brown cookies glued to the exterior, and several 'objet d'art' (almost all the households in our neighborhood had one of the 3 landscape 'paintings' offered displayed in the living room).

Don't forget the juice pitcher with the glasses, we had one of those.

The green stamps, some gas stations at the time gave green stamps, I begged for 1 book one time for a football. Mom finally gave in, I figured up later that it took $125 to fill one book of green stamps. So I had a $125 football as a kid!

Yes! The redemption store was on the way to my grandparents, which was about 3 hours away and we stopped every time we visited. I think of them with this post. On one trip, my parents let me use the stamps to buy my first camera. A Kodak with 110 film. Exciting times visiting the redemption store.

Wow, that takes me back. They were a "big" thing when I was young. Going to the green stamp store to redeem the books was a treat!
When I was engaged, my Mom gave me her stamps and I added to them. I got a club aluminum 2 quart saucepan with mine. I saved and saved.
I still have that pan and it is one of my favorites to this day. I also have the same husband for going on 51 years now:) I have collected club aluminum pans for a while now and absolutely love them;
Thanks, OP, for the memories:)

Growing up one of my chores was to paste the stamps into the book. And my sisters and I spent lots of time looking at their catalog and showing things to my Mom. As I recall, she always used them to buy practical household things. In fact the last time we brought our books in to the store in the early 70's, she got a pair of table lamps. I inherited one of those lamps when she died in 2015 and I still have it.

Yep, sure do! I still have a 'spring' scales that I got with them, and it is still as accurate as ever! Got it when I became pregnant with our first child. I also shopped where we got 'yellow' Top Value stamps which I liked better. We were able to get several kitchen/household items with them - was really welcomed at that time in our lives. What memories!! :)

Never heard of blue chip stamps! What part of country? Mine - deep so. LA

Last edited:
Wow, that takes me back. They were a "big" thing when I was young. Going to the green stamp store to redeem the books was a treat!
When I was engaged, my Mom gave me her stamps and I added to them. I got a club aluminum 2 quart saucepan with mine. I saved and saved.
I still have that pan and it is one of my favorites to this day. I also have the same husband for going on 51 years now:) I have collected club aluminum pans for a while now and absolutely love them;
Thanks, OP, for the memories:)

Congratulations! I'm right there with you - will be married - to same husband also lol - 52 years this year!! :-)

Heard of them, but like others said, our area was more Blue Chip. I do remember the S&H Green Stamps slot machine.

SH-Green-Stamps.jpg

I also remember. S & H green stamps. Had the Blue chip ones as well, but not as big as the green stamps. We got tons of stuff, mostly for the house.

I remember doing the books with my sister.

Maybe we got a portable hair dryer. It had an attached plastic cap. Can't be sure.

When it was announced the place was going out of business we rounded up every stamp we could find.

Welcome to the digital age, where instead of stamps, we have rewards points and frequent shoppers cards.
True. Stamps never linked our name to what we bought, with what, and allowed merchants to establish a profile of our buying patterns.

I remember getting two redwood and aluminum folding lawn chairs, a table lamp,
and Some Corning casserole dishes. It took many books to get things. They had actual stores that you went into to browse the displayed goods. They also had a catalog.

Yes, we collected green stamps, triple S blue stamps and plaid stamps, each from different stores I think.

I used to help my mom paste them into the books using a sponge so we didn’t have to lick them. LOL, I remember one thing we got was a reel-to-reel tape recorder, which was very high tech back then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter