Anyone think Spaceship Earth is a fire hazard?????

kandb

DIS Veteran
Everytime my family and I go on spaceship earth I feel a little hesitant because I feel like it could be a fire trap. It just seems to me that there are no fire exits in this ride. I hope I am wrong because we really like the ride but I always feel like if you are up near the top and there was ever a fire, it would be very hard to get out of there. It also always seems like there are so many lights and heat given off by them when I am in the ride. Does anyone else feel like this about this ride? :confused3 Linda

there are actually quite a few clearly marked exits...you just need to look for them (the opposite walls of where you are looking etc)

The ride broke down once we were on it and we had to walk out. There are plenty of exits from the ride into a middle stairway. They just aren't easy to see while the ride is moving.

I used to be a ride-op on Spaceship Earth, there are many exits throughout and a clear evac plan for the ride. You have to demonstrate being able to evac people from any point in the ride during training. There are LOTS of stairs inside that all lead to exits. It is as safe as any other ride there. :)

We have been on Spaceship Earth 3 times. Each time it has broken down, and it took a while (40 min one time) for us to get moving again. We do not visit this ride any more.

3 out of 3????!!!! Ugh!!!! :upsidedow

Nope, I don't feel any less safe on SE than I do any other ride.

"Like a grand and miraculous spaceship..."

:lovestruc

We were just there two weeks ago tomorrow - my niece's first visit. Right after we sat down in the car and started up I commented to her, it sure would be bad to break down at the top and have to walk out of here......she said "thanks for mentioning that now". :rotfl:

Never thought of it as a fire hazard though.

That use to go threw my mind as well, of it being a fire hazard. Once you're on the ride though, you can clearly see tons and tons of exit signs.

We have been on Spaceship Earth 3 times. Each time it has broken down, and it took a while (40 min one time) for us to get moving again. We do not visit this ride any more.

That completely sucks! I'm so sorry that's happened to you. I've been on that ride at least 50 times I've never had it break down on me. I've had it stop a few times like it does when it lets someone from a wheel chair on. But never break down.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of exits in case of fire. I'm more concerned about what would happen if it began to roll away...

They are supposed to to a ride evac and get everybody off if it is down for more than 15 min. sometimes they may push it a little further but I have never been a broken down ride for any horrible length of time. Though sometimes it feels that way. I average a minimum of 2 visits a month and have for a few decades now.

vvvvvvvvv

That completely sucks! I'm so sorry that's happened to you. I've been on that ride at least 50 times I've never had it break down on me. I've had it stop a few times like it does when it lets someone from a wheel chair on. But never break down.

Almost exactly what I was going to say, except 50 times doesn't begin to be how many trips I have made on it. Nothing but small stops for loading. I have always secretly wished that it would stop when I was at the top looking down at the earth. I absolutely love that scene and it always goes by too fast.

Almost exactly what I was going to say, except 50 times doesn't begin to be how many trips I have made on it. Nothing but small stops for loading. I have always secretly wished that it would stop when I was at the top looking down at the earth. I absolutely love that scene and it always goes by too fast.

Shhhhh! ;)
though we weren't really supposed to, when I was a ride-op we would occassionally eat lunch or take a break at the top. It is a little dusty but the is kind of a cement beach just above the highest point the ride vehicle go and you can watch the Earth projection.
There is also a catwalk the goes between the outer and inner shell of the "ball" half way up that you can walk around. There is about an inch crack between all the triangle of the outer shell that you can see out of.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of exits in case of fire. I'm more concerned about what would happen if it began to roll away...

I'm more concerned that a Giant Mickey will walk up with his 3 wood and give it a whack.

There actually tons of exits. If you look around during the ride and not at the things they want you to actually see, you will see doors, exit signs, stairs etc.

Shhhhh! ;)
though we weren't really supposed to, when I was a ride-op we would occassionally eat lunch or take a break at the top. It is a little dusty but the is kind of a cement beach just above the highest point the ride vehicle go and you can watch the Earth projection.
There is also a catwalk the goes between the outer and inner shell of the "ball" half way up that you can walk around. There is about an inch crack between all the triangle of the outer shell that you can see out of.

Awesome!

Last week every time I rode it (at least a million times!), I looked to see if I could see any CM's taking a break somewhere in the dark. Because I know I WOULD!!! I would love to just chill in one of the scenes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter