Anyone travel before in Dec. on Wonder

nanc

Mouseketeer
We were on the Magic in January and now we're going on the Wonder ($99 rate) for a 4/3 day back to back in mid December.

I'm concerned that Nassau & Freeport & Castaway will be much colder since it isn't as far south. Can anyone tell me about how much cooler it is in Nassau like compared to St. Maarten?

I'm worried my kids will hate the colder water.

Are the nights a lot cooler?

Please help so I can get clothes ready-6 weeks to sail date:bounce: :bounce:

Thanks
nanc

Hi,

I sailed around mid Dec. last year on the Wonder and then also again in Jan. to also get the $99 re-sail rate. I didn't find it cold at all in Nassau/Freeport/ or Castaway Cay and I am a Florida resident. We wore shorts the whole trip and it was bright, sunny and warm both cruises for us. However, I remember getting off the ship back in port in Dec. and a cold front had moved in and I wishing I had more than shorts on then. :)

Mmketeer

Thanks for the info. I had read the average temp in Nassau is like mid 70's and when we were on the Magic in January it was in the mid to high eighties around the ports. I just was looking for that real hot balmy weather. Do you think I will find it like that in December or is it just a warm temp and not too hot?

Last January when we arrived in FL two days before cruise they had record breaking lows and hotel didn't have heat and three out of 7 of us got sick on the ship because of it. We froze in the hotel!!! My mom had bronchitis when she got back. My 12 year old caught the stomach flu on the ship and missed Castaway so this year doing a 3/4 day back to back she gets to go twice with her siblings.

nanc:)

Hi Nanc,

Oh that sucked! I have seen some of those hotels that don't have heat...were you on the beach? Cause' their are an aweful lot of them that don't have it on the beaches. I hope your trip goes better this year...F.Y.I the cold fronts have started earlier here this year. Right now at 8am in the morning it's 63 degrees. Should get into the low 80's by this afternoon, so this year I would find a place that has central heat and air when you come stay in Dec. <BG>

PS
I cruised the first year right befor Labor Day weekend and it was real hot in the Bahamas then...much warmer than in Dec. or Jan.

Mmketeer

Thanks for the info. In January we stayed at an Embassy Suites (On Jamaician Drive -something like that) by the airport and it was like barely in the low 40's the morning we left for the ship.
I'm worried about the early low temps we're all having. In Iowa its already been in the high teens/low twenties at night. It sure makes walking in the morning to lose weight before the cruise pretty difficult but all I have to do is read trip reports and I get motivated!!

Hope you enjoy your two trips coming up!!!

Thanks Nanc,

You too! And, I'd say anyone who could walk in those temps is VERY motivated. <BG>
PS
I am surprised that a Emabassy Suites in that area didn't have heat...shame on them!<BG> Maybe you could just stay at Disney next time before your trip....even the All-Stars have central air and heat.

Have fun!Mmketeer

Hey guys....I have heard a lot of people talking about the $99 cruise....what are the details...we have sailed two years in a row...the first being the 7 day land and sea and last year the Magic eastern swing....we are cruising on the Magic again on 11/30 (27 days to the Magic)....when and where did you get the opportunity to a cruise for $99.00.....and do they offer it all the time?Thanks for the info....
Tom

After 9/11 they were promoting tourism so if you sailed during a specific time (January 2002 -cruise started and Ended in January) they gave you coupons for $99 a person for 3 day Wonder cruise for the same category you paid for on the Magic. They also gave you coupons to give to friends for $419 (I believe). Had to be booked by early spring to take advantage of the offer.

This will probably be the last Disney Cruise for our family for quite awhile as the January cruise and our cruise in December saved us thousands and don't think for a family of 6 we will be able to afford it again for awhile:mad: I'm so glad we found out about the specials and were able to take our children.

They should do this more often though to promote the slow months or to returning customers!:Pinkbounc

Yup...I am always a day late....but it is great that a lot of people were able to take advantage of it....but I have to say one thing...I never thought Disney did enough for people who returned....and then they started to give discounts for another cruise if you booked while on board...which we did last year....saved some money and moved up to a category 8...same as what I hade payed for a category 10....but this past Friday DCL called and upgraded us to a category 5....and we wanted to know why they were doing it....they explained about a month before sailing...they look at there inventory of cabins...if they have a lot of available they check and find out when people both booked there cruise and secondly if you have cruised with them before...we met both criteria....and it also free's up some lower category cabins that they would probably be able to sell easier than the higher cabins...that way everyone is happy...we get a better cabin...we feel special...we consider booking another cruise...and they might be able to make some money on the cabin that we were supposed to be in...everyone wins....especially us....
and now...27 days to the Magic!
Tom

Thats so cool that you got upgraded up as far as a 5. We actually paid for 2, category 5 adjoining rooms so I don't think we will be upgraded but thats okay because I specifically picked out our rooms (opposite side same number as Magic).

You have a MAGICal time the end of this month!!!!

I'm still concerned that the weather won't be as hot in the Bahamas as it was down in St. Maarten but it sure beats IOWA so I won't complain!!!

These chats boards are just SO GREAT!!

Nanc....when are you cruising...and which ship? Getting back to my upgrade story...we did the 7 day last year...category 10...asked when we got to the ship and they said an upgrade would be easy...for 500 bucks more...so we kept our category 10...called last week and attempted to upgrade to a category 6...they said it was not available but would upgrade to a category 5 but for $800....so I decided to keep our category 8...and then they called....a week later....life is good! Just looking forward to having breakfast on Sunday morning from room service on our verandah....
Tom

We're on the Wonder from Dec 15th-22nd (was on the Magic in January 5-12th,2002). Atleast I know we are staying in our rooms for the back to back cruises so we don't have to pack.

You will love the category 5. We had that category in January. We barely used our verandah though. There just isn't enough time to relax with 4 munchkins but with staying onboard most of the time (not excited about the ports) maybe I'll relax more (and even add a surial bath for my DH and I).

Your story is great

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter