• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone use Hotwire to rent a car?

Cinerama261

Mouseketeer
I'm just wondering why Hotwire's rates are so low - $183 for eight days subcompact car. Other web sites like Kayak show $304 for eight days at Budget for example.

Also, what is your experience renting a car at the LA airport? It looks like all the companies require you get on a shuttle bus to pick up the car.

We are using a Hotwire car rental for our upcoming trip, and I have used them often in the past. No problems; once you have the confirmation and know the company, it is just like any other reservation. Ours happens to be with Hertz.

We have rented at LAX before, but it was a while ago. I don't remember it being an issue at all taking the shuttle to the rental site. It only took a few minutes.

Depending on when you are going, I will be happy to report back when we return! We will be there June 20-25.

There are no onsite car rentals at LAX. The shuttle ride should be pretty short. I've used Priceline/Hotwire once in the past for car rental. Typically I find the best price to be thru Costco, for a rental with Alamo. They often has offers for one free day or $35 off.

My only nightmare car rental experience was through hotwire for Budget at LAX. We arrived at Budget to see the line of people snaking outside and around the building. It took us 3 HOURS to get a car. When I go to the front of the line, after 2.5 hours of waiting, I was told they "didn't have" my car. I was at the point of tears. I told them I needed a car NOW. 30 minutes later they offer me a full sized van. I had signed up for a compact car, but I wanted to get out of there, so I took the van. Most miserable experience of my life.

Budget was unapologetic. It was a Saturday in July and they just insisted they were "busy" for the summer season. There were people in line frantic because they were going to a wedding. People were calling cabs to go to other car places to try and get cars. But because mine was a hotwire, as were most of us in line, we had prepaid and were locked in.

NEVER AGAIN! I would never rent from Budget out of LAX for as long as I live! LOL! For that reason, I probably wouldn't do a hotwire out of LAX if it was for a Saturday because I might be stuck with Budget. However, I would for another airport.

Car rental prices change faster than a teenager changes clothes. Keep checking and checking and looking for deals if you decide not to go with Hotwire.

I've used Hotwire multiple times and often get better pricing through them. I just used them for a recent Chicago trip. I've never had any problems with the booking. You still are dealing with the individual rental agency related to any other issues, but Hotwire itself has always worked well for me.

It took us 3 HOURS to get a car. When I go to the front of the line, after 2.5 hours of waiting, I was told they "didn't have" my car.
Wow!!! Unbelievable!! I'm a National Executive member. I make my reservations online. When I get to the rental place, I just walk directly to any car in the Executive aisle and drive off. I didn't realize how fortunate I am.

There are no onsite car rentals at LAX. The shuttle ride should be pretty short. I've used Priceline/Hotwire once in the past for car rental. Typically I find the best price to be thru Costco, for a rental with Alamo. They often has offers for one free day or $35 off.
One of the advantages of booking Alamo through Costco is that you get a second driver FREE! If we already know we need to have a second driver, it more than makes up for any difference between Hotwire and Costco prices.

I have used Hotwire in the past as well. If you use them you do have to wait in the regular line even if you have a frequent renter card for the rental car company. That was the only bummer as I have also used the National perk of walking up picking out your car and, with online preregistration, just driving out. But when Hotwire can beat the price significantly I think it's worth it.

One of the advantages of booking Alamo through Costco is that you get a second driver FREE! If we already know we need to have a second driver, it more than makes up for any difference between Hotwire and Costco prices.

It doesn't matter in the state of California because extra driver fees on car rentals are against the law there.

As for Hotwire, the only disadvantage is that the reservation is nonrefundable, which you'd think would be easy to understand. Yet I read a lot of complaints from people who have to cancel their travel plans and are upset when Hotwire or Priceline won't refund their money.

I usually use priceline. Budget seems to be the best price for us over the yrs.

We used hotwire with LAX. Got Avis, if I recall correctly.

The shuttle didn't *feel* short, but it was a really stressy trip all the way around, and I was nowhere near as prepared as I am now, so it probably was shorter than it felt.

Just be sure to give yourself time for everything, especially on the way back. We completely misjudged (er...when I say "we" I mean "I") how much time each little returning-the-car component would take, and because of my mishandling of the time, we nearly missed our plane. It wasn't the rental car company's fault, but IF LAX had truly onsite rentals it wouldn't have been as mad a dash to the gate. :)

The hotwire part went totally fine.

Check around several sites because everyone has different rates at different times. It might be worth it to get an Entertainment Book as well. We scored an incredible deal with Costco for a rental out of San Diego - 18 days in a small SUV for just over $300. The same vehicle is almost $800 now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter