Anyone use packing cubes? What size do you get?

JenB1104

Mouseketeer
I am exploring the idea of getting packing cubes from ebags and they have all different sizes. Has anyone used them? Any recommendations? Looks like a good way to keep clothes organized and from getting moved around too much in suitcase. For DD I will probably pack outfits in ziplock bags by day for her.

I have some eBags branded ones; if you're interested, they frequently go on sale. I find the medium to small sizes the most useful, but you might want to start with a set of different sizes.

I use the Eagle Creek ones. I have the regular sized ones and a couple of half sized ones that are great for packing a week's worth of underwear and socks into. Some people like the double sided ones with one half used for laundry as you wear your clothes but I just put my laundry into the empty ones as I need to after I unpack at my destination. I can fit two cubes into each side of my 20 inch carry on wheelie bag. That could be 4 cubes with 2 per side if needed but I seldom take more than two regular sized ones and a couple of half sized ones. I wouldn't travel without them.

I LIVE for my packing cubes! I have the ebags brand. I started with a combo pack with a small, mostly medium, and a large. I have since bought another set of 6 medium. I love that I can pack each family member's things in 2 cubes, and then just hand them what is theirs. Organization made easy!

I love 'em. I use small and medium ones to keep that stuff together, but don't use large ones. I keep all the small stuff organized ... electronics and chargers/cords... toiletries... medicines.. etc. I also use large slide ziplock bags for wet toiletries and sunscreen in case of explosive decompression... which I have seen!

I love them! I have a set of every size, they fit together perfectly in my checked bag. Keeps everything organized, and you can get a lot into those suckers!!

Do you fit more in your suitcases by using these? Sometimes I use extra large ziploc bags and put shirts in them or underwear, socks and nightwear, squishing the air out and fit more stuff that way. I didn't do that on my last trip though. Do these cubes help you fit more? Is it just keeping things organized? I'm not quite sure what's the great thing about using them and would be interested to hear more about why they helpful in packing! TIA!

I have the ebags ones. For a 4+ day trip I use one large one for all my clothes, and a medium for all my underthings, socks, tanks, etc. I use the small and the half cubes to do incidentals. I didn't think I'd ever actually like them but they are strangely addictive.

I do fit more in because I can pack them in tight then zip them up and they condense down.

In fact I have a very cheap set from some other amazon seller that are a different color then my usual ones. I fold them flat and put them in one of the zipper pockets on my suitcase and I pack the dirty clothes in them to bring home. One color only holds clean clothes and one color holds dirty clothes.

I do find it really easy to organize. I keep my meds (both OTC and my allergy meds and inhalers) in one of the long half size ones, chargers and loose stuff in a small then my clothes in the larger. I put them in a drawer or leave them in my case but because of the sizes I can go in and pull out the exact one I want. It also helps that I don't have a ton of small stuff floating around. You'd think it would be better because you could squeeze small individual stuff around items but for me I lose them easier when they are allowed to float.

In fact my folks whom I travel with a lot also have them and we each have our own color. Works well as we often share space so if we have to keep our stuff in the same area we know who's is who with out having to open up and sort through.

Last edited:
I have one set of the various sizes and one set of three mediums. I use them for travel and also for my gym bag. When I travel, I bring a few empty ones to collect dirty clothes as I go.

Just realized I never actually answered the question. Buy the sale set that ebags sells for like 39 bucks. It will have one large, one med, and one small as well as 3 of the long narrow half cube ones. This combo was the most cost effective and I've had them for a year or two and I've always been able to make them work for my packing needs.

Yipes they went up.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/...s-slim-packing-cubes/115846?productid=1302042

I might still go with this but if nothing else get the basics. They have some colors on sale for 27 and some not on sale for 29.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/packing-cubes-3pc-set/13032?productid=949922

Do you fit more in your suitcases by using these? Sometimes I use extra large ziploc bags and put shirts in them or underwear, socks and nightwear, squishing the air out and fit more stuff that way. I didn't do that on my last trip though. Do these cubes help you fit more? Is it just keeping things organized? I'm not quite sure what's the great thing about using them and would be interested to hear more about why they helpful in packing! TIA!

I am able to pack more. The cubes compress everything. I have one of the packing folders too, and that alone holds all of my tops and most of my bottoms when I pack.

Thanks everyone! Just ordered two mixed sets - one for DH and one for me. They are running 15% off for President's Day.

One way to use them is to pack a complete outfit into a cube and organize things that way. DW and I do this when we each check a bag. We each put one of our outfit cubes in the other's bag. If one bag goes missing we at least have something to wear.

I have engages and eagle creek, love them. I have found them at TJ Max for a great price if there is one in your area..

Do you fit more in your suitcases by using these?

Yes! It is amazing how much you can pack into these cubes. Here is a picture I took a few years ago. This is THREE complete outfits (shirt/shorts), 2 pairs of undies and a pair of socks for my then-9-year-old daughter. We were travelling in June so this was weather-appropriate. The packing cube you see is the eBags Slim Packing Cube.

I use mostly mediums for our trips because they are a little easier to sort out (tops in one, bottoms in another, etc) but I use the large and small ones too. They are very versatile and really make packing and unpacking a lot easier.

I was always anti-packing cubes because I couldn't wrap my head around how adding something else to your suitcase allows you to fit more. Out of sheer curiosity, I ordered a set of packing cubes from eBags - it was a variety set that came with three oblog cubes, and then small, medium and large ones. I used these on our last trip to WDW - I'm now a believer!

We found the medium one to be the perfect size. The large one was good but took up most of the surface space of our largest suitcase. With two medium ones, we could put them side by side in the suitcase. The small and oblong ones were good for our socks and underwear. While I still overpacked and ran out of room in the luggage (and pushed the weight limit), what I actually liked most about them was the organization. When we got to the resort, I just pulled each cube out and put them in the drawer. I knew which cube held what, and obviously unpacking/packing back up was much easier.

I love my packing cubes (ebags). I use the Large for my DH and the medium for me & 2 DS. The small is good for socks & underwear. It is amazing what they can hold and it makes packing/unpacking so much easier. Each of us have a different color cube.

I have the Dot&Dot slim packing cubes and I am loving them! I always use them to pack my undergarments and socks. I'm now thinking of buying the medium ones for my DS when we go on a trip next month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter