• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone use pre-paid Visa cards to pay for things at Disney?

I haven't.... but this is a good question. I'm Canadian and just bought a US prepaid travel Visa with the hope that I can use it in the parks.... so I want to follow this thread. On the VISA it says it can be used everywhere that VISA is accepted.... so I'm assuming it will be okay?

I haven't.... but this is a good question. I'm Canadian and just bought a US prepaid travel Visa with the hope that I can use it in the parks.... so I want to follow this thread. On the VISA it says it can be used everywhere that VISA is accepted.... so I'm assuming it will be okay?
That's what I was thinking(and hoping:)too!!!

I have used Visa gift cards and had no issues. I would just read the fine print on using them at sit down restaurants as sometimes they put a partial hold to account for a tip.

I was of the understanding that you have to pay a charge at purchase for buying the card. We just do Disney gift cards at Target and we got 10% off

Last edited:

I was of the understand that you have to pay a charge at purchase for buying the card. We just do Disney gift cards at Target and we got 10% off

I never had to pay any charge. I got a prepaid US travel VISA from my bank. What it does is transfer my Canadian money to US money and saves that US money on a prepaid VISA for me. That way I have American dollars to spend, without having to have a ton of cash in my purse. The only money I lost was the exchange rate for the day.

you can, but restaruants will put a hold of 20-30% on your card and it lasts for 48 hours - plus the 5.00+ fee to activate it - i would just either do disney gc or cash

Be sure to read the fine print on the cards, some of them prohibit them from being used at Amusement parks (got bit by that one once on one someone sent me). It is much better to have Disney Gift Cards or just use your normal card (just check what fees might get charged for doing so, I actually have one card that only charges the current exchange rate and refunds all foreign ATM fees, including international, we are in the U.S., so I end up transferring money to that card when we go to Canada and use it)

It is able to deduct all balance left in the card if the balance is less than the total balance due, and then asks for a second form of payment.
Quick serve restaurants do not usually automatically add 20%.

Thanks everyone for your responses! I have 3 kids that are part of a video game study that will each receive a $400 prepaid VISA card so I'm hoping we can use some of that money for our Disney vacation this summer. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter