Anyone want to help me think through ECV/crutches + DAS + infant? Feeling overwhelmed ...

Here now, got here Saturday afternoon 10/30. I ended up having the walking cast removed the day before and getting a boot. It's astonishing how much more difficult is! I'd been down to only a cane and sometimes nothing, but I'm back to the walker almost always and much slower/shorter distances.

The only problem so far is there was a miscommunication at Gold and they brought a scooter with double cane holder instead of walker holder. And when I got the walker holder, I discovered it makes the scooter too big for the buses. So I have my DH (may the Universe bless him) take it off before I get on the bus and carry it (with the walker attached) on the scooter between my knees while I'm on the bus.

So far, no other issues except I couldn't take Pluto on Buzz by myself because he can't push me in a manual chair. Next time we'll plan better for the 4 of us to ride.

SSR has been great and the shower chair (transfer chair, actually) they brought looks almost brand new and is solid, but it doesn't play well with the new shower. The tub is one of those weird ones where the ends are narrower, plus it has those huge sliding doors. The chair fit, but no space to swing my legs in. I finally got the good leg in and called it good enough. Next time I'm going to try putting it in sideways, but I'm not confident. Also the tub is super slippery despite what are supposed to be grippy strips on the bottom of it. Technically I'm supposed to be showering standing up, but I can't stand without the boot on dry ground so there's no way I'm doing it in that tub.

Bus drivers are magic.

Pluto is rocking it! After the disaster of a trip 3 years ago, I was worried, but he's been great.

No one warned me how hard AK is! I'm all for theming, but I was constantly afraid I would tip over in most of the parks. Ditto in Morocco at Epcot.

So far, we've done:
Carousel of Progress
Buzz (no go)
Maharajah Jungle Trek
Celebration of the Festival of the Lion King
Soarin'
Journey into Imagination
Living with the Land
Remy's Ratatouille Adventure
Spaceship Earth

A friend who lives in Orlando is joining us the next couple of days to help me with the baby while DH takes Pluto on things I don't want to ride.

Have a magical day, everyone!

Since I had a floor seat at (CO)FOTLK and I just got a fancy phone with a fancy camera, here's a fire dancer photo.

View attachment 618856

Here now, got here Saturday afternoon 10/30. I ended up having the walking cast removed the day before and getting a boot. It's astonishing how much more difficult is! I'd been down to only a cane and sometimes nothing, but I'm back to the walker almost always and much slower/shorter distances.

The only problem so far is there was a miscommunication at Gold and they brought a scooter with double cane holder instead of walker holder. And when I got the walker holder, I discovered it makes the scooter too big for the buses. So I have my DH (may the Universe bless him) take it off before I get on the bus and carry it (with the walker attached) on the scooter between my knees while I'm on the bus.

So far, no other issues except I couldn't take Pluto on Buzz by myself because he can't push me in a manual chair. Next time we'll plan better for the 4 of us to ride.

SSR has been great and the shower chair (transfer chair, actually) they brought looks almost brand new and is solid, but it doesn't play well with the new shower. The tub is one of those weird ones where the ends are narrower, plus it has those huge sliding doors. The chair fit, but no space to swing my legs in. I finally got the good leg in and called it good enough. Next time I'm going to try putting it in sideways, but I'm not confident. Also the tub is super slippery despite what are supposed to be grippy strips on the bottom of it. Technically I'm supposed to be showering standing up, but I can't stand without the boot on dry ground so there's no way I'm doing it in that tub.

Bus drivers are magic.

Pluto is rocking it! After the disaster of a trip 3 years ago, I was worried, but he's been great.

No one warned me how hard AK is! I'm all for theming, but I was constantly afraid I would tip over in most of the parks. Ditto in Morocco at Epcot.

So far, we've done:
Carousel of Progress
Buzz (no go)
Maharajah Jungle Trek
Soarin'
Journey into Imagination
Living with the Land
Spaceship Earth

A friend who lives in Orlando is joining us the next couple of days to help me with the baby while DH takes Pluto on things I don't want to ride.

Since I had a floor seat at (CO)FOTLK and I just got a fancy phone with a fancy camera, here's a fire dancer photo.

View attachment 618856

Put a towel down *inside* the tub; once it is wet, it will (believe it or not!) help with the slippery.

sounds like otherwise you are doing great! Yay!

Bus drivers are magic.

So far, we've done:
Carousel of Progress
Buzz (no go)
Maharajah Jungle Trek
Soarin'
Journey into Imagination
Living with the Land
Spaceship Earth

View attachment 618856
Glad to hear you are ‘making it work’.

FYI - your photo didn’t attach correctly. It shows a link to tap, but then says ‘file not found’.

Darn it! It's a fancy new feature of the latest Android OS and I'm getting amazing photos of moving people/etc. and/or while moving, but I can't stop anything with them except look at them on my phone.

Put a towel down *inside* the tub; once it is wet, it will (believe it or not!) help with the slippery.

sounds like otherwise you are doing great! Yay!
I literally just suggested this for Jack Jack's bath and *still* didn't think of it for myself. Oops. Next time!

Quick tip if you do use your cane… use it on the side opposite your injury. This sets up a stable tripod effect, that allows for easier mobility & a more natural gait. Doctors never tell patients this— physical therapists will, but often by the time you start PT, you aren’t using a cane or crutch anymore. There are you tube videos showing the why & how of it, if you’re interested.

Quick tip if you do use your cane… use it on the side opposite your injury. This sets up a stable tripod effect, that allows for easier mobility & a more natural gait. Doctors never tell patients this— physical therapists will, but often by the time you start PT, you aren’t using a cane or crutch anymore. There are you tube videos showing the why & how of it, if you’re interested.

I did know that, but don't know why. But it's what I'm doing when I use my cane, so that's the important thing. :)

OK so I've been back a little over a week, I think I'll do a mini trip report but here's the list of rides/restaurants if anyone has questions about them. As is probably exceedingly obvious, the prevailing theme of the trip was "not getting to do as much as we wanted to" but mostly not because of mobility limitations.

Enchanted Tiki Room
Pirates of the Caribbean
Haunted Mansion
It's a Small World
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid
Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover
Carousel of Progress
I skipped: Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin
I skipped: Dumbo

Spaceship Earth
Soarin'
Living with the Land
Journey into Imagination
Epcot Experience
I skipped, at Pluto's request: The Seas with Nemo & Friends

Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railroad
Toy Story Mania
Walt Disney Presents (or whatever it's called now)

Kilimanjaro Safaris
Celebration of Festival of the Lion King
Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail
Maharajah Jungle Trek
Flight of Passage
Na'vi River Journey

Restaurants:
Jungle Cruise Skippers Cantina
Space 220
Teppan Edo
Hollywood & Vine
Jaleo

Are you showering with the boot on? You don't take it off to shower?
I took her post to mean *since* she couldn’t stand without the boot on a dry floor, she had no intention of trying to stand in an uber-slippery tub to try to shower. So a seated (boot-less) shower was how it was gonna be.

I took her post to mean *since* she couldn’t stand without the boot on a dry floor, she had no intention of trying to stand in an uber-slippery tub to try to shower. So a seated (boot-less) shower was how it was gonna be.
Exactly.

In my fiberglass, non-slippery tub at home, I do stand up (without the boot) to rinse my hair, but I still use the chair for more than half the shower.

But that reminds me! Shower chair update! We discovered that the chair could be placed completely in the shower sideways, with the seat back against the back wall and the transfer end nearest the shower head (obviously this depends on the orientation of the shower and the chair). That way I could fully open the shower door at the end near the faucet, step in meat the drain, sit on the transfer end (basically, it became a backless stool), and close the door fully. I could easily reach the handheld shower head to adjust it and take it down and put it back up. And because the fit was so tight, I could use the back of the chair (against the back wall) for a little bit of support--not as strong as a grab bar, but an extra touch point, if that makes sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter