Anyone want to read about our super quick whirlwind road trip to the world?

Hi, Kathy! I'm coming over from my PTR. :wave2:

I loved reading about your trip. Short trips are what we typically do, and I totally agree with your decision. There's just so much to see and do outside the parks, and -- let's be honest -- it's exhausting being in a park all day! I don't know how some people do it for several days in a row.

Anyway, y'all packed in quite a few popular "must-eats" during your stay: Beaches & Cream, Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue, Be Our Guest, Kona ... very impressive! I've eaten at Kona, but the others are still on my list.

And I'm with you -- the Peoplemover is my kind of ride. It's relaxing, and I love people-watching in Tomorrowland ... especially at night! :thumbsup2

I hope you get to take another trip soon!

Hi, Kathy! I'm coming over from my PTR. :wave2:

I loved reading about your trip. Short trips are what we typically do, and I totally agree with your decision. There's just so much to see and do outside the parks, and -- let's be honest -- it's exhausting being in a park all day! I don't know how some people do it for several days in a row.

Anyway, y'all packed in quite a few popular "must-eats" during your stay: Beaches & Cream, Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue, Be Our Guest, Kona ... very impressive! I've eaten at Kona, but the others are still on my list.

And I'm with you -- the Peoplemover is my kind of ride. It's relaxing, and I love people-watching in Tomorrowland ... especially at night! :thumbsup2

I hope you get to take another trip soon!

Hey there!! Welcome and thanks for reading!! Glad I don't seem nuts for not packing in more park days. Also - the difference in cost between 1-2 and 1-3 park tickets is huge. I might feel differently going from 4-5 or 4-6 or something because the increases are incremental so it might be worth it even if on arrival and departure days you only get to spend a couple hours in the park...but for an additional $200? I don't think so....and if course yes, it's exhausting as well!!!

We did manage to pack a lot in...though there is always more to try for next time. Although now when thinking about another trip I'm sure I will be torn about whether to try new things or go back to ones I've tried but loved!!

I'm dreaming about a trip in October for Canadian thanksgiving...we will see if it is possible to make it a reality!

Just came back to say I finished reading. You did a lot in a day! Thanks for the report.

And the pin trading reminded me that I need to figure it out better for DS. He got a starter kit for Christmas and some pins (mostly ones I got for $5 each off Disney Movie Club and a few from Disney Movie Rewards that I redeemed points for). I recently bought him several more pins from Disney Movie Club (about $5 each) and ebay (I paid a little more than the used lots, like $2 per pin, and got new pins that looked like they are packaged from Disney, hopefully they aren't fakes) for his birthday coming up. Good thing is that now he has several pretty nice pins (like Anna/Elsa and other princesses) that he won't want to keep himself, but someone else would like. And I guess I don't have to worry if he makes a bad trade if the pin only cost me $5 or less to begin with, right?

Hey there!! Welcome and thanks for reading!! Glad I don't seem nuts for not packing in more park days. Also - the difference in cost between 1-2 and 1-3 park tickets is huge. I might feel differently going from 4-5 or 4-6 or something because the increases are incremental so it might be worth it even if on arrival and departure days you only get to spend a couple hours in the park...but for an additional $200? I don't think so....and if course yes, it's exhausting as well!!!

We did manage to pack a lot in...though there is always more to try for next time. Although now when thinking about another trip I'm sure I will be torn about whether to try new things or go back to ones I've tried but loved!!

I'm dreaming about a trip in October for Canadian thanksgiving...we will see if it is possible to make it a reality!

I think one good thing about FP+ for us is that it made the expenditure for arrival day tickets more worth it. I'm still with you that it's not worth it adding onto a 1 or 2 day ticket, but now that you can guarantee yourself some rides that first evening, it helps offset the expenditure.

Just came back to say I finished reading. You did a lot in a day! Thanks for the report.

And the pin trading reminded me that I need to figure it out better for DS. He got a starter kit for Christmas and some pins (mostly ones I got for $5 each off Disney Movie Club and a few from Disney Movie Rewards that I redeemed points for). I recently bought him several more pins from Disney Movie Club (about $5 each) and ebay (I paid a little more than the used lots, like $2 per pin, and got new pins that looked like they are packaged from Disney, hopefully they aren't fakes) for his birthday coming up. Good thing is that now he has several pretty nice pins (like Anna/Elsa and other princesses) that he won't want to keep himself, but someone else would like. And I guess I don't have to worry if he makes a bad trade if the pin only cost me $5 or less to begin with, right?

One thing I noticed re: Pin Trading, is that especially with kids the CM's are super nice about it. They don't seem to care at all what pins you give them vs what you get from them...so I wouldn't stress too much about what you've got. Since our trip was a surprise though - one thing I didn't do, was ask DD which ones she didn't want to trade so we always had all her pins with us. Next time I would have her only bring along the ones she is happy to part with. Although there are the serious people who have a whole binder with ALL their pins to carry around...we aren't that hard core lol. You can't really make a "bad" trade if your DS gets something he likes.

I think one good thing about FP+ for us is that it made the expenditure for arrival day tickets more worth it. I'm still with you that it's not worth it adding onto a 1 or 2 day ticket, but now that you can guarantee yourself some rides that first evening, it helps offset the expenditure.

That's a good point - adding a day onto a longer stay won't be that much more and with FP+ at least you will get on a few rides. Might be a good time to do some that you don't want to do at RD....thinking of strategies for next time which will hopefully be a longer trip.

Just have to say as another mother with a challenging son I understand your desire for one on one time with each of them. :hug: SO glad you're going back! :cool1:

THat's so great!! Super excited for you, and can't wait to read about your plans. :)

Thanks!! I'm super excited too!! And the summer always flies by so it will be here before we know it!!

Just have to say as another mother with a challenging son I understand your desire for one on one time with each of them. :hug: SO glad you're going back! :cool1:

Thanks so much. That means a lot. My son is indeed challenging and my DD sometimes gets the short end of the stick at home. I do my best to try to give them both one on one time. Though I have to admit...I am a bit nervous for my trip to Washington DC with just my DS....he IS much better when his sister isn't around and it's just us...but I still worry about us not always agreeing or him being really difficult. Often my only leverage at home is bargaining for screen time...and I really don't want that to be a factor in our trip. I was thinking of not bringing his ipod or laptop...but then...I got nothin' if he isn't behaving and I also would have no respite in the evenings if there is nothing to occupy him...although there will always be TV in our hotel room...so I guess there's that...Sorry...not Disney related I know...

Thanks so much. That means a lot. My son is indeed challenging and my DD sometimes gets the short end of the stick at home. I do my best to try to give them both one on one time. Though I have to admit...I am a bit nervous for my trip to Washington DC with just my DS....he IS much better when his sister isn't around and it's just us...but I still worry about us not always agreeing or him being really difficult. Often my only leverage at home is bargaining for screen time...and I really don't want that to be a factor in our trip. I was thinking of not bringing his ipod or laptop...but then...I got nothin' if he isn't behaving and I also would have no respite in the evenings if there is nothing to occupy him...although there will always be TV in our hotel room...so I guess there's that...Sorry...not Disney related I know...

Sometimes :offtopic: is necessary...It's parenting related and sometimes it is important to know others understand, and we're not alone. What about taking his devices and limiting them to hours in your hotel room? We have a no devices at the table rule, and then the kids can read or play games on their pads once back in the room. Obviously the teenager has more freedoms in this regard, but with my son if he has too much electronic time at all he becomes unmanageable. Some days are good, some make me feel like screaming. I'm here if you want to talk. :) Who knows maybe this trip will be just what you both need to reset!

I've written a tiny bit about my son in my ptr and will be writing more, as sometimes the normal methods just don't work for him even at Disney. :confused3

Also maybe one day you'll be able to plan a trip to Disney for just you and your son. I don't recall if you've said whether you've ever gotten a GAC (Guest Assistance Card). That way if you do take him back he might be able to bypass lines and such- I've never gotten one as I'm just in a wheelchair, and for the most part just go through lines with everyone else- but others have beer info on that! :D The DISabilities forum here is really helpful for those with challenges and those that support them, we also have a community board http://www.disboards.com/forums/disabilities-community-board.156/, and you might get more ideas and better support there. :hug:

One last thing...if Magic Kingdom is too much for him then what about sticking to EPCOT and Animal Kingdom or staying at one of the quieter resorts like POFQ or POR they are far enough removed that you can avoid the hustle and bustle and take water taxis or bus on a day when you want to go to the parks.

You're not alone, and I hope your upcoming trip with him is full of good times and makes some very happy memories for both of you! :D ~Rebecca

Last edited:
Sometimes :offtopic: is necessary...It's parenting related and sometimes it is important to know others understand, and we're not alone. What about taking his devices and limiting them to hours in your hotel room? We have a no devices at the table rule, and then the kids can read or play games on their pads once back in the room. Obviously the teenager has more freedoms in this regard, but with my son if he has too much electronic time at all he becomes unmanageable. Some days are good, some make me feel like screaming. I'm here if you want to talk. :) Who knows maybe this trip will be just what you both need to reset!

I've written a tiny bit about my son in my ptr and will be writing more, as sometimes the normal methods just don't work for him even at Disney. :confused3

Also maybe one day you'll be able to plan a trip to Disney for just you and your son. I don't recall if you've said whether you've ever gotten a GAC (Guest Assistance Card). That way if you do take him back he might be able to bypass lines and such- I've never gotten one as I'm just in a wheelchair, and for the most part just go through lines with everyone else- but others have beer info on that! :D The DISabilities forum here is really helpful for those with challenges and those that support them, we also have a community board http://www.disboards.com/forums/disabilities-community-board.156/, and you might get more ideas and better support there. :hug:

One last thing...if Magic Kingdom is too much for him then what about sticking to EPCOT and Animal Kingdom or staying at one of the quieter resorts like POFQ or POR they are far enough removed that you can avoid the hustle and bustle and take water taxis or bus on a day when you want to go to the parks.

You're not alone, and I hope your upcoming trip with him is full of good times and makes some very happy memories for both of you! :D ~Rebecca

Thanks so much for all the great advice and tips, much appreciated!! I went over and subbed to your PTR too..looking forward to reading through that later!! I do like the idea of limiting screen time to only at the hotel at certain times. The only thing is, my son can have such a one track mind - that if I say "we can only use devices in the hotel" he will spend the whole day saying "when are we going back to the hotel?" and not paying much mind to anything we are doing, even if it's WDW or some amazing experience somewhere else. One thing I have found, now that he's old enough to tell time, is if I say, no screen time until 8:00pm or sometime not too far from bedtime. That way, he can usually reason that if it's 4pm, there's no sense begging to go back to the hotel room because he won't be allowed screens anyway.

I do hope that one day I can do Disney with DS and I...although he may be content to do other things and have other things be "our" thing instead of Disney. And if that is how he is, that's ok - I've got at least one Disney loving kid in the family that I can share that passion with lol. My DS has ADHD and ODD, and isn't officially diagnosed with high functioning Aspergers, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has that too. I have heard about the GAC but not sure if I want to/or could go down that road with him, but certainly something to think about! A good compromise might be like you said though - if we can do a whole family trip one day, I might be able to do alternate days with the kids one at a time at a park that would be less intense for him...who knows...I really appreciate your advice though!!

Having a certain hour when screen time is allowed is brilliant! I'll be using that too on vacations if you don't mind! :hug: Thank you ever so much for checking out my PTR I'm brand new at it, and just have not figured out how it all works yet. :D

Popping in to say howdy. :) Trying to get caught up on the lovely threads I follow before the next round of busy-ness sets in this week.

Having a certain hour when screen time is allowed is brilliant! I'll be using that too on vacations if you don't mind! :hug: Thank you ever so much for checking out my PTR I'm brand new at it, and just have not figured out how it all works yet. :D

Yeah the screen time thing is pretty much the only leverage I have these days with my 12 yo DS....I use the same trick on weekends or he would be playing Destiny 24/7...

Popping in to say howdy. :) Trying to get caught up on the lovely threads I follow before the next round of busy-ness sets in this week.

Thanks for swingin' by!! Onwards and upwards...now dreaming about my next trip in October lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter