Anyone with personal experience with flight delays and DCL insurance?

scootch

DIS Veteran
I may have to fly in day of cruise to San Juan in January(or cancel it). I would book flights through Disney if I did this AND I would also purchase DCL insurance. Does anyone have any personal experience with DCL insurance and flight delays? We always fly in the day before, but we cannot--- so the other option is to cancel but hate to upset our friends who we were meeting there.

I'm not sure about Disney's insurance but many will not pay unless there is a 24 hour flight delay.
You will need to find a policy that will allow you to cancel for any reason.

Have you checked pricing for flights through DCL? It's usually considerably more than what you can get on your own. So between the higher flight costs through DCL and their insurance usually costs more, you might be better booking your own flights and buying third-party insurance coverage.

As PP mentions -- check the details of coverage for flight delays, be sure to ask the agent specific questions "what if...[add your scenario]" so you know what's available and if it suits your needs.

Enjoy your cruise!

Have you checked pricing for flights through DCL? It's usually considerably more than what you can get on your own. So between the higher flight costs through DCL and their insurance usually costs more, you might be better booking your own flights and buying third-party insurance coverage.

As PP mentions -- check the details of coverage for flight delays, be sure to ask the agent specific questions "what if...[add your scenario]" so you know what's available and if it suits your needs.

Enjoy your cruise!
I am stunned it is actually much cheaper for this flight to book with Disney. I absolutely hate the thought of flying in the day off, clear to San Juan but only other option is to cancel the cruise. I had read in the past that they are a bit more likely to hold up the ship a short time if you book the flights with them and have their insurance. Was hoping to find someone who had some personal experience to back it up.

Another question. Can you have more than one insurance policy, lol??? I already purchased insurance at Trip Insured International---it was super cheap as they cover kids for free and hubby isn't coming. Was thinking of adding Disney insurance for extra protection. I called and the Disney insurance does cover delays due to weather and will help you get to the next port. Wonder if I can have two policies??

Probably, especially if the policies cover different aspects. One policy would likely be deemed "primary" and claims would first need to go through that first; then anything denied or not fully paid might be submitted to the secondary policy. But I honestly think it would make more sense to purchase what you need in one policy. I don't think you are required to purchase DCL insurance if you buy air travel through DCL, so couldn't you just add the flights to your current policy?

DCL may hold the ship, but I wouldn't count on it unless maybe you were already on the ground RN route to the port. But by purchasing your flights through DCL, they will guarantee to get you caught up with the ship.

Enjoy your cruise!

Probably, especially if the policies cover different aspects. One policy would likely be deemed "primary" and claims would first need to go through that first; then anything denied or not fully paid might be submitted to the secondary policy. But I honestly think it would make more sense to purchase what you need in one policy. I don't think you are required to purchase DCL insurance if you buy air travel through DCL, so couldn't you just add the flights to your current policy?

DCL may hold the ship, but I wouldn't count on it unless maybe you were already on the ground RN route to the port. But by purchasing your flights through DCL, they will guarantee to get you caught up with the ship.

Enjoy your cruise!
Thank you Judy----Yes-- I know there is no guarantee if we are super late. Just feel more confident doing air and transfers through them as this way I know they know we are coming and if we end up a day later, there are port days the next two days straight. So the part about purchasing flights through DCL they will guarantee to get you caught up----- this is just part of the Disney Air Program---- or is this specific to the insurance policy? Since it is just one adult and 2 kids, the insurance policy I purchased covers kids for free, it was super cheap. Much cheaper than DCL, but I was thinking I needed the DCL insuranceto get me to the next port------ maybe not?? Here is the Disney Air Info from their website. https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/air-program/

Details
Flying to a departure port? Experience flexibility, convenience and peace of mind when you book air travel through Disney Cruise Line for your upcoming cruise vacation.
  • The Disney Cruise Line Air Program includes these features and benefits:
    • Economy round-trip air transportation
    • Peace of mind knowing that if your flight changes due to certain airline-related delays, Disney Cruise Line will take care of the arrangements
    • Flexibility to make changes or cancellations to your air reservation without fees up to 90 days prior to the start of your vacation—or even as close as 75 days for select itineraries
    • Convenience of not having to pay for your air arrangements until your final cruise payment due date
    • Ability to make special requests for upgrades, extended stays and specific airlines or flight itineraries (subject to availability; additional charges may apply)

I may have to fly in day of cruise to San Juan in January(or cancel it). I would book flights through Disney if I did this AND I would also purchase DCL insurance. Does anyone have any personal experience with DCL insurance and flight delays? We always fly in the day before, but we cannot--- so the other option is to cancel but hate to upset our friends who we were meeting there.
We sailed on the Fantasy in December. The ship left Port Canaveral hours behind schedule because, as the captain said over the intercom, "We're waiting for some late flights to come in." This was when there was a winter storm up north. I assume that the people the ship waited on purchased the flights via DCL, so it seems very likely they'd hold the ship a while at least if some DCL-booked flights are late. No guarantees but it happened on our cruise.

I read a year or so back a post by a woman who purchased flights & insurance via DCL, but the flights were so late that even though the ship waited, it finally sailed without her. DCL did fly her to the next port to meet up with the ship, but she was still steamed.

Moral of these stories, they'll get you on the ship eventually, but if there are delays, the experience might not be as smooth as you'd like. I have a high tolerance for risk, so in your situation, I'd personally book the flights & insurance via DCL & just go for it.

We sailed on the Fantasy in December. The ship left Port Canaveral hours behind schedule because, as the captain said over the intercom, "We're waiting for some late flights to come in." This was when there was a winter storm up north. I assume that the people the ship waited on purchased the flights via DCL, so it seems very likely they'd hold the ship a while at least if some DCL-booked flights are late. No guarantees but it happened on our cruise.

I read a year or so back a post by a woman who purchased flights & insurance via DCL, but the flights were so late that even though the ship waited, it finally sailed without her. DCL did fly her to the next port to meet up with the ship, but she was still steamed.

Moral of these stories, they'll get you on the ship eventually, but if there are delays, the experience might not be as smooth as you'd like. I have a high tolerance for risk, so in your situation, I'd personally book the flights & insurance via DCL & just go for it.
Thanks... well I have already picked the flights and have seat assignments and I also have a high tolerance for risk--- since this is cruise 10 or 11 and just myself and with 2 well traveled teen daughters. We will make an adventure out of it. Just really hate to cancel as we were meeting up with our Alaskan friends and was really looking forward to this cruise. Day 2 and 3 are both port days too, which is helpful if we miss day 1. IDK, still trying to figure it all out---- but thinking we will wing it and pray for the best.

and have seat assignments
Be aware - seat assignments are not guaranteed. I just flew yesterday on a flight that many people's seat "assignments" were changed and cancelled outright. There were several families who had no seat assignments when checking in, even though they had "picked" their seats months before.

It's a good idea to keep an eye on your reservation and make sure that seat assignments remain as you want.

Thanks... well I have already picked the flights and have seat assignments and I also have a high tolerance for risk--- since this is cruise 10 or 11 and just myself and with 2 well traveled teen daughters. We will make an adventure out of it. Just really hate to cancel as we were meeting up with our Alaskan friends and was really looking forward to this cruise. Day 2 and 3 are both port days too, which is helpful if we miss day 1. IDK, still trying to figure it all out---- but thinking we will wing it and pray for the best.
I'm sure everything will be fine. Have fun!

Be aware - seat assignments are not guaranteed. I just flew yesterday on a flight that many people's seat "assignments" were changed and cancelled outright. There were several families who had no seat assignments when checking in, even though they had "picked" their seats months before.

It's a good idea to keep an eye on your reservation and make sure that seat assignments remain as you want.
Ok, thanks... Ugh.. I don't know what to do. This seems pretty set forth and I like that I can see the seats on the Delta and American website. I can even upgrade the seats for a fee... maybe I should do that to lock them in ??

Ok, thanks... Ugh.. I don't know what to do. This seems pretty set forth and I like that I can see the seats on the Delta and American website. I can even upgrade the seats for a fee... maybe I should do that to lock them in ??
Nope, that won't lock them in.

Airlines often "change equipment" (replacing the original aircraft with another) and, even if the "new" aircraft has the same configuration, the existing seat assignments don't always remain. I had selected the same seats for both legs on our recent trip from LA to MCO and back when I made the reservation months ago. First leg, they moved us 2 rows back (no problem, same seats). On the flight back, when we went to check in 24 hours ahead, they had moved us one row back and split us up into 2 middle seats on opposite sides of the aisle.

We have another flight (with 4 legs) later this year, and the last leg they had split our seat reservations, so that I was sitting 7 rows in front of my husband and across the aisle. As soon as I saw that, I went into the reservation and moved him to be back beside me again. It's a 12 hour flight, and I think my husband is more forgiving of my idiosyncrasies than strangers will be on that long a flight.

Sometimes airlines change the type of plane for a flight, and everyone gets new seat assignments as a result. It doesn't happen that often, but it can happen, regardless if you've upgraded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter