Anything new on Pop Century?

Lesley

DIS Veteran
Just sort of wondering...haven't heard anything about this abomination in quite a while, and actually managed not to have to even look at it on our last visit...

So, is it ever going to open? Any word on what's up? Or is it the same old "bookings are low and we're waiting until they improve" ?

Thanks

Given the attendance level at WDW these days, I wouldn't count on this opening anytime soon.

On a related topic, CBR should have reopened by now. Anyone heard any word on how it turned out?

I have such a hard time figuring out WDW's pricing / occupancy strategy right now. Last fall (when CBR was closed, reducing moderate inventory to around 5,000 units v. the normal 7,000) I was able to book the other moderates at $79 without problem (even with short notice.) Even Coronado, which was not initially part of the discount offering, was thrown into the mix sometime in November. That would indicate very soft bookings.

This spring, the best moderate rate is up a good bit v. last year at this time ($109 v. $94). If I correctly recall, Port Orleans French Quarter was closed during this time last year. The All-Stars are at $79 v. $65 last year at this time. Also, the deluxe rates are not cut as deeply. So, this would indicate suddenly strong bookings, or WDW's desire to hold stronger on price and accept a lower occupancy rate.

I am very interested to see what the rates look like for late Spring (post Easter) . Last year, they were $84 for the moderates.

But, as for Pop, I seem to recal in either an investor conference call or some other communication where it was stated that it would open by the end of 2003.

Given the recent hiring freeze at WDW I would highly doubt they are going to be opening a new hotel of that size anytime soon.

Left in the middle of a snow storm on FEB 7...Since it was snowing and since we were driving, we decided to head to Florida early thinking it would take longer on the roads. We ended up arriving at All Star Sports at 1 in the morning. I wanted to add another night to my reservation and check in but I was told that every hotel on Disney property was booked. Ended up going offsite to sleep for a couple of hours...

The parks were pretty empty for the next couple of days, so I have no idea what all of the people that were taking up every disney hotel rooms where doing all day.

If in fact, every room was sold out I don't know why they don't open up Pop Century immediately.

I'm not sure which extrance we used to get to DisneyWorld but some rooms of the Pop Century Resort actually overlook the highway. I would be so upset If I got stuck with one of those rooms.

CBR looks the same but the Food court is different. They now have a central area to pay, a grab and go market. Video menu boards. It is nice but the old way was nice too.

I have pics of the new food court on my site.

Was at WDW early January with a rental car. Drove over to look at Pop Century and the guard wouldn't let me in close. There is a lot of vegetation, trees too, helping to conceal it from the adjoining roads (Osceola and Victory).

The All Stars continue to have very high occupancy most of the time. Except the time I was there, more than half of 'Sports was closed for a few nights while they installed some new air conditioning equipment using a helicopter (I had left for the parks and missed that event).

If the All Stars are near sellout most of the year, it makes sense to open Pop Century or maybe just part of it say 2000 to 3000 rooms. This might be accompanied by the closure of some of the All Star and Port Orleans buildings for refurbishing (Didn't someone say that Riverside buildings were shabby?)

>>> overlooks the highway

All Star Movies would overlook Irlo Bronson Hwy 192 except that a dense grove of trees makes it impossible to see either from the other.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Will try to book Pop Century for Nov. 03

Safetymom;
I went to your photos of CBR. What section did you stay in? The room looked very bright and cheery. Have all the sections been refurbished? We have not been to CBR since the kids were young and if we can't get POFQ or WL in August, we were considering CBR again as a change.

I'm not sure which extrance we used to get to DisneyWorld but some rooms of the Pop Century Resort actually overlook the highway.
I'm not sure if it's true of course, but assuming it is...

And no one has a problem with that! Scoop!? Mr. Kidds!? What'd think? Three-quarters of the way down that slippery slope or just two-thirds!?!?! Certainly it isn't bottom yet. But we’re close!!! Very close!!

How sad!! :(

And no one has a problem with that! Scoop!? Mr. Kidds!? What'd think? Three-quarters of the way down that slippery slope or just two-thirds!?!?! Certainly it isn't bottom yet. But we’re close!!! Very close!!
Now Baron, do you really want to open that hotel can o' worms again :crazy: :confused:. I'm sure you remember that I drew my line at the All Stars. Pop is the same boat (or should I say canoe or dinghy?).

The only problem with CBR is that Pop Century is visible from it.....so very sad. I loved CBR.

(oh, yeah, good one, wdwguide!)

When I left in December Pop Century was still there, just as big, hideous, and empty as ever. You can see the hotel quite clearly from the highway (not sure of the exact number) that cuts across from Gaylord Palms towards AKL. I believe it is the 90's section that you can see. It actually made me sad every time I saw it, have they really run out of ideas that badly? And I agree, if people are going to have to stay in that kind of themeing they should at least make sure they get a good view, not one of the highway.

Baron,

The fact that some rooms of Pop Century overlook the highway is a major negative but the landscaping is designed to grow in and block any poor sightlines over the next few years. Overall I really enjoy the look and fell of PC as a value resort, much better than the All-Stars. Also mostly it is just staircases that overlook the highway and it is only a few rooms in one or two buildings that can see it. I have also stayed in a few rooms at you beloved Old Key West that overlook support areas or the roadways.

I am scared to say this, so I will post it really small... Some people can not aford to stay at nice hotels, and a Value is the only they can afford. So, if the All Stars are filled, Pop Century is the way they can take their magical vacation!

Originally posted by Banzai
I am scared to say this, so I will post it really small... Some people can not aford to stay at nice hotels, and a Value is the only they can afford. So, if the All Stars are filled, Pop Century is the way they can take their magical vacation!
But does that mean they should build a really ugly hotel for those who pay less? Does a truly magical vacation include doing the funky chicken or marveling at a big wheel that just rolled of the set of Land of the Giants?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter