AoA or Deluxe?

lynzi2004

DIS Veteran
We are heading down to WDW the week before Christmas. We have previously stayed at POP, Ft. Wilderness and POFQ. Kids ages 9, 7, and 2. We love POP but I’m wanting a bit more space than it provides. I’m leaning towards the family suites at AOA, but they are the same price as deluxe and the deluxe are closer to some parks and have the better pools (maybe to chilly at Christmas anyway) If we did deluxe, we would be looking at Wilderness Lodge (beautiful at Christmas), Poly or Beach Club. I think the kids would love AoA, but is the size/layout of those rooms more spectacular than the standard deluxe rooms? The 1bedroom+ deluxes are out of our budget. Hoping for some kind of discount anyway bc $600+ for a place to sleep is a hard pill to swallow! Suggestions, advice, thoughts...TIA!

Not sure how the deluxe rooms are laid out, but I found the 2 bathroom setup at the AoA family suites to be invaluable! Allowing 2+ people in showers/at sinks at the same time was really nice, and saved a lot of time and frustration.

Even at 30, I love the slap-you-in-the-face Disney themeing at AoA, and I'm sure your kids would too.

The Skyliner should also not be discounted! It was a a very convenient method of transportation to and from EPCOT/DHS. When I was a kid, I always considered the tram from the parking lot to be like the first ride of the day, and I bet the Skyliner would be even better!

All Star Music has a 2-room suite that costs a lot less than an AOA suite but no word on when it will open.

We have been told that with only 2 adults, Disney had to guarantee us 2 connecting rooms at All Star Movies, which is what we used to get when we booked. This costs even less than suites at AOA or All Star Movies.

The Cabins at Fort Wilderness sleep up to six and should cost less than a Deluxe.

If you have a AAA membership, you might be able to get 2 rooms at the Dolphin for $256 per night for each room. That puts you in walking distance to DHS and Epcot.

If you have a car, stalk eBay for a cheap rate at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. For $150 per night, you can get a 2 bedroom condo that put you close to DHS and Epcot.

Wilderness Lodge can work for a family of 5 (with a 2 year old) if you plan to only use the room for sleeping.

We usually can tolerate this for a night or two, but after 2 nights, we REALLY start wishing we had more space.

All Star Music has a 2-room suite that costs a lot less than an AOA suite but no word on when it will open.

We have been told that with only 2 adults, Disney had to guarantee us 2 connecting rooms at All Star Movies, which is what we used to get when we booked. This costs even less than suites at AOA or All Star Movies.

The Cabins at Fort Wilderness sleep up to six and should cost less than a Deluxe.

If you have a AAA membership, you might be able to get 2 rooms at the Dolphin for $256 per night for each room. That puts you in walking distance to DHS and Epcot.

If you have a car, stalk eBay for a cheap rate at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. For $150 per night, you can get a 2 bedroom condo that put you close to DHS and Epcot.

Wilderness Lodge can work for a family of 5 (with a 2 year old) if you plan to only use the room for sleeping.

We usually can tolerate this for a night or two, but after 2 nights, we REALLY start wishing we had more space.

I forgot about the family suites at Music...that might be a possibility! I don’t like the bus situation at the campground, that’s why I had taken the cabins off the list. We had previously tent camped...the cabins look super neat for the kids with the bunk beds, but we won’t have a car and the multiple bus loops/stops are something we didn’t like about the Fort!

I want to stay onsite and get a final use out of Magical express, but as the youngest ages us out of many of the Disney rooms without a mandatory price jump and once ME goes away, I’m going to take a long look at the Swan/Dolphin! We are rope drop people and the walking thing is a huge plus!

thanks for the suggestions!

Not sure how the deluxe rooms are laid out, but I found the 2 bathroom setup at the AoA family suites to be invaluable! Allowing 2+ people in showers/at sinks at the same time was really nice, and saved a lot of time and frustration.

Even at 30, I love the slap-you-in-the-face Disney themeing at AoA, and I'm sure your kids would too.

The Skyliner should also not be discounted! It was a a very convenient method of transportation to and from EPCOT/DHS. When I was a kid, I always considered the tram from the parking lot to be like the first ride of the day, and I bet the Skyliner would be even better!
The theming is a huge deal for our crew! When we stayed at POFQ they were actually wanting to go back to POP. My DH and I kind of agreed, but by the end of the week, we were loving the smaller, quaint, quiet, POFQ resort! Decisions, decisions! But also the 9 and 7 year old are good at hopping in the shower so the double bathrooms would be a huge plus!

Any reason to not just pursue 2x adjoining rooms back at POP which effectively become a suite? I think that still remains a cheaper option than a single AoA suite (at least was true back in 2019), you still pick up the 2nd bathroom, and I believe even some extra overall sq ft. We did that for 3x trips in a row, and it was a perfect option - we tried AoA on our 4th trip and while we enjoyed it, would probably return to the 2x adjoining POP next trip if possible. Personally I think it's also way better than the Music family suites because you still get 4x queen beds (and can tuck 2 away now after refurb) - no couch pull-outs like the other Value options.

Since you have a 2 year old, my understanding is that Disney will guarantee a 2-room reservation to be adjoining. That was always the message we received when booking over phone and getting the two rooms paired up. I don't recall the age break where they would no longer guarantee that.

I am not the fan of AoA. The time I stayed there it was just a very loud resort. Which is understandable as it's a really built for families and it was right as it opened so it was packed the entire time.

So I might choose the Deluxe for the atmosphere, but you're right that your kids would probably prefer the themes of AoA and with five people two bathrooms is definitely a plus.

. . .

. . .
At Wyndham Bonnet Creek, the week before Christmas is an owner-priority period. "Guest" reservations are subject to cancellation. I would not depend on being able to stay there based on a reservation purchased on eBay. https://clubwyndham.wyndhamdestinat...il&utm_campaign=cw_geoff&utm_content=<strong>

Any reason to not just pursue 2x adjoining rooms back at POP which effectively become a suite? I think that still remains a cheaper option than a single AoA suite (at least was true back in 2019), you still pick up the 2nd bathroom, and I believe even some extra overall sq ft. We did that for 3x trips in a row, and it was a perfect option - we tried AoA on our 4th trip and while we enjoyed it, would probably return to the 2x adjoining POP next trip if possible. Personally I think it's also way better than the Music family suites because you still get 4x queen beds (and can tuck 2 away now after refurb) - no couch pull-outs like the other Value options.

Since you have a 2 year old, my understanding is that Disney will guarantee a 2-room reservation to be adjoining. That was always the message we received when booking over phone and getting the two rooms paired up. I don't recall the age break where they would no longer guarantee that.
No, Disney will not guarantee connecting rooms, although they try hard to do it. There have been numerous reports on this site that people did not get connecting rooms when requested. Adjoining rooms are not the same as connecting, so always request “connecting”.
Denise

We’re going in September and ended up choosing a suite at AoA because of the extra room. Ds will sleep in a pack n play so we like that we can stick him in a separate room during naps. We wouldn’t be able to do that at a deluxe standard room which costs about the same and usually more

One vote here for Beach Club.
-Location is awesome
-It's not huge & sprawling. From lobby just walk interior hallways.
-Can walk to Epcot and HS (or boat to HS if you don't feel like walking)
-Has easy Skyliner access
-Stormalong Bay is one of the best pools at WDW
-Cape May Cafe has a great dinner buffet and character breakfast buffet (pre-covid so not sure now)

I think the Cars themed rooms at AoA look adorable but I can't believe they charge the same price as deluxe. We'd always choose deluxe for location and amenities. Dh and kids prefer BC hands down over Poly.

just pursue 2x adjoining rooms back at POP which effectively become a suite

Just a point of clarification...

"Adjoining" rooms do not necessarily "effectively become a suite". They CAN, but adjoining can also mean next to without a door, across the hall, back to back, and around the corner.

For an internal door between the rooms, the request (and it is just that - NO guarantees) is CONNECTING rooms.

The two words (connecting and adjoining) mean very different things in hotel-speak.

We are heading down to WDW the week before Christmas. We have previously stayed at POP, Ft. Wilderness and POFQ. Kids ages 9, 7, and 2. We love POP but I’m wanting a bit more space than it provides. I’m leaning towards the family suites at AOA, but they are the same price as deluxe and the deluxe are closer to some parks and have the better pools (maybe to chilly at Christmas anyway) If we did deluxe, we would be looking at Wilderness Lodge (beautiful at Christmas), Poly or Beach Club. I think the kids would love AoA, but is the size/layout of those rooms more spectacular than the standard deluxe rooms? The 1bedroom+ deluxes are out of our budget. Hoping for some kind of discount anyway bc $600+ for a place to sleep is a hard pill to swallow! Suggestions, advice, thoughts...TIA!

I think you'd be happy with a suite at AoA. You can always go visit the other resorts to see their Christmas decoration. With a suite, you'll have plenty of space, 2 bathrooms, a private bedroom, a microwave, and the guarantee that you're all in one room! We used to get 2 connecting rooms at Pop or ASMo before AoA opened but I was always nervous that we wouldn't get our requested connecting rooms. We were lucky and always did, but I've read many reports of people who didn't (and know 2 families personally who didn't). Disney does try to accommodate that request but it's not always possible. I do always cringe when I see that we could get a standard deluxe room for less than what we pay for a suite, but we wouldn't have nearly as much space and there would only be one bathroom. The amenities at the Deluxe resorts aren't overly appealing to me -- we spend too much time in the parks to take advantage of them (different story when we vacation at other places). I wasn't a fan of the ASMu suites so we've never stayed there, but now that they've been renovated, I really like the look of them and would definitely consider staying there. If your kids liked Pop, they will love AoA. The theming is amazing and the Cars section at night is gorgeous. The Big Blue pool has a kids splash area and the pool is a zero entry so it's easy to slowly walk in to with a toddler. You'll have the Skyliner for quick access to DHS & EP and the bus stops for the other parks/DS have dedicated waiting lines (the "free for all" bus stops at the mod and deluxe resorts are a Disney pet peeve of mine) and are most of them are completely covered so you're protected from the sun and rain. Our kids are all over the age of 16 now, but we still booked a suite at AoA for our trip next summer. Our 30yo DS stayed at BWI on his last trip and he said that while he liked his room there and loved being able to walk to EP, he missed the "fun" of AoA.

IME Disney will not guarantee connecting or adjoining rooms when there are 2 adults, the reasoning was that you can split and have one adult in each room. We never wanted to take the chance so we went with another option.

Interesting... I definitely acknowledge the poor use of "adjoining" when I should have stated "connecting".... but I also had 3 consecutive years of booking POP and being told by the reservation CM that our family alignment was one of few situations that they would guarantee the connecting room (first year would have been 2 adults, a 3 year old, and 2x 1 year olds). After being told that the first year, I certainly inquired about the same in the two future POP bookings and got the same confirmation/response. I guess I was either getting some pixie dust (and/or room luck) that I wasn't even aware of, or I'm just not recalling some other criteria that we were meeting unrelated to the guest breakdown.

Certainly respect the board's other experiences and reminder of policies which may be more widely stated.

For a Christmas trip, I recommend Wilderness Lodge if you can afford it. Very Christmassy theming, family-friendly dining, and good pools. Unless the odd cold front is blowing through (these happen, but are the exception rather than the rule), it won't be too cold to enjoy the pools around Christmas.

With 5 people I'd absolutely choose AoA. We are a 5 person family and have had the same discussions and I was kind of having the same debate in my head as I'd love to stay deluxe our next trip (we've never gone with all 5 of us). After spending one night in a hotel room last summer, nope. We all came back from the pool and were standing there dripping and arguing over the bathroom. Trying to get around the room was impossible with all of us. So...it's going to have to be a family suite or 1 bd DVC villa for us.
We stayed in an AoA LM room last time we went (just myself and girls 10/8 at the time) and my girls LOVED it so much they're begging to stay there again (and they're 14 and 12 now). And I liked it a lot more than POP.

Last edited:
I
Interesting... I definitely acknowledge the poor use of "adjoining" when I should have stated "connecting".... but I also had 3 consecutive years of booking POP and being told by the reservation CM that our family alignment was one of few situations that they would guarantee the connecting room (first year would have been 2 adults, a 3 year old, and 2x 1 year olds). After being told that the first year, I certainly inquired about the same in the two future POP bookings and got the same confirmation/response. I guess I was either getting some pixie dust (and/or room luck) that I wasn't even aware of, or I'm just not recalling some other criteria that we were meeting unrelated to the guest breakdown.

Certainly respect the board's other experiences and reminder of policies which may be more widely stated.

I would bet that all the people who didn't get connecting rooms were told the same thing-- that they were "guaranteed". Unfortunately, Disney CMs (particularly the ones you talk to on the phone) often give inaccurate/incorrect information. Even many TAs give out that same information because they hear if from their contacts at Disney. The sad thing is, that when they do that, people are caught totally off guard when they check in and *don't* have connecting rooms. At least if the CMs & TAs would share accurate information, people could be prepared in those situations where it doesn't happen. My TA (who is on some TA Advisory Board thing at Disney) always told us that regardless of what shows up on our room confirmation from Disney or what anybody else tells us, connecting rooms are never guaranteed (except for rare cases involving disabilities/health issues). When our kids were younger and connecting rooms was really important for us, we always booked at Pop Century because they have the largest number of connecting rooms of all of the resorts (or at least that was true at the time) so we knew that was where we'd have the best shot at getting them (and we always did. And one time we had a sick child at check-in and our rooms weren't ready yet so the check-in CM moved us to connecting rooms that were already ready -- and he had a few different locations to pick from but said he gave us the best location -- close to the main building). I do think Disney tries their very best to fulfill that request, but sometimes it's just not logistically possible on the day the requestee is checking in. A friend of mine requested connecting rooms at AKL. Her TA insisted they were guaranteed because there were 4 kids and only 2 adults in their family (which I've heard *many* times, but makes no sense to me. Wouldn't that mean that each adult could be in a room with a few kids???). I tried to tell her that wasn't true but she believed her TA. At check-in they found out that not only did they not have connecting rooms, but they didn't have rooms anywhere close to each other. The best AKL could offer was to move them to two room that were diagonally across the hall from each other the next day. So that's what they did. But they had packed as if they would all all be staying in one room, so it was a bit of a pain because they only had one set of toiletry items (like shaving cream and contact solution) so she ended up having to buy some stuff at the gift shop (which wasn't cheap). Not to mention that she and her husband weren't happy that they weren't in the same room for vacation.

Wilderness looks amazing at Christmas but you can't beat the Poly for location IMHO.
If they are the same price as AoA then its a no brainer, Poly or BC it has to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter